** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They just have to win their conference. The P5 all have a championship now, so the championship.

So, as a far out example.  The West Division champion has a record of 6 and 6 but still wins the division.  The East Division champion goes 12/0, but get beat by one point in the Championship game.  All other conferences have winners with 1 or two losses regular season.  The B1G team that went 12/0 and had one bad game is automatically out?

1 minute ago, grandpasknee said:

So, as a far out example.  The West Division champion has a record of 6 and 6 but still wins the division.  The East Division champion goes 12/0, but get beat by one point in the Championship game.  All other conferences have winners with 1 or two losses regular season.  The B1G team that went 12/0 and had one bad game is automatically out?

They will have just lost to a 6-6 team the previous day, so maybe they should be out. A loss late in the season means more than one earlier in the season, IMO. It's who that team is right now, heading into the post season.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They will have just lost to a 6-6 team the previous day, so maybe they should be out. A loss late in the season means more than one earlier in the season, IMO. It's who that team is right now, heading into the post season.

I agree, and with just four spots, it will always have "those" cases.  I"m hoping we get to the point where the minutiae  doesn't matter more years than not.

4 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

I feel the same way as Moiraine and my husband shared the same example as you did grandpasknee.  But this happens during the basketball play offs all the time.  If college football did the same thing then schools like UCF would get a chance to go to the 'Big Dance'.

But since tv revenue is so important, winning your conference championship will never carry that much weight, rather, only be part of the formula.  Like Landlord shared, the entire body of work would be taken into consideration.  However, all P5 conferences should have a representative in the playoffs. That should be a main consideration.  You could have the P5 conference winners then 3 at large spots.

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

They have wins over #25 Fresno State, #24 Mississippi State and #16 LSU, and lost to a non-playoff team by 12. There's a good argument that two of those three should not be ranked, and are only ranked to prop up Alabama's SoS, imo. 

What the committee is doing is de-incentivizing teams to schedule legitimate OOC opponents. If Ohio State would have lost to Iowa but never played Oklahoma, they'd be in the playoff. They have wins over #6 Michigan, #9 Penn State, and #19 Michigan State, and lost to a playoff team by 15. Worse loss, way better wins, including a championship. 

idk, i get the different arguments, but the argument should be the most deserving more than an ambiguous 'the best team (we think)'.

I agree. This is not how these things were supposedly going to be weighed. 

Which I think is the reason most of the guys on the radio last week felt OSU would get the nod if they won. Everyone kept saying that good wins trump bad losses. Everyone kept saying How important conf champ is as well. By choosing Alabama the committee essentially ignored everything they told us was important. It’s a bad decision.  

The one defense I’ll give Bama from a non conf schedule is they had no way of knowing FSU the preseason number #3 would be awful when they scheduled that game. 

6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It would make the decision easier if they considered conference play as a qualifier.

If you don't win your conference you're disqualified from the playoffs. Period.

What about just making the whole thing transparent?  

So:

1.You Get X points for winning a conference championship

2. You get X points for playing in CCG game(to reward winning a division)

3. You get X points for a top 20 win, X for Top 10 , and X for top 5

4. You lose X points for each loss. Could stratify amount as well I suppose. 

Take the top top ranked teams and add up the points. Top 4 go on. 

It’s transparent, the point values will be known so the committee will have to weight things a certain way and stick to it. 

Edited by olddominionhusker
  • Plus1 4
7 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

Yes. If you want to be MNC, you have to win our conference. The CCG is the first playoff game.

This year is complete garbage. The BIG, Big XII, PAC and ACC should withdraw from the NCAA and start their own association. The SEC is sponsored by ESPN, and as a result they are over-rated. Alabama specifically is the most over-rated team of all time. Can't win your division? No problem, we will put you in the playoffs; screw the BIG. Of course two SEC teams are better than any team in the BIG.  The same thing happened in 2011. Alabama can't even win their division, and they get a rematch with LSU for the MNC - WHAT THE HECK! This is a complete insult to every other conference. Imagine how many MNC Nebraska would have if we were given a re-match with Oklahoma when we had single loss seasons.

• Plus1 1

If Ohio State wanted in, they shouldn't have taken a huge crap in Iowa.  Local Cleveland talk show yesterday morning agreed they shouldn't be in either.  They said it was better to not have them in then to have them take a big crap against Clemson again.  Urban Meyer's team continue to underperform.  They were 2 to 3 touchdowns better in talent to Wisky and let them stay in the game and comeback late.  JT Barrett graduating will help them.

2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

If Ohio State wanted in, they shouldn't have taken a huge crap in Iowa.  Local Cleveland talk show yesterday morning agreed they shouldn't be in either.  They said it was better to not have them in then to have them take a big crap against Clemson again.  Urban Meyer's team continue to underperform.  They were 2 to 3 touchdowns better in talent to Wisky and let them stay in the game and comeback late.  JT Barrett graduating will help them.

I am OK with OSU being out, but I am not OK with Alabama being in. USC or UCF should be in.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, 614Husker said:

I get that Scott was ticked about Eichorst never calling him, but I really think he needs to put some context behind that.  Eichorst was so distant and the exact opposite of what the program needed.  I'm not sure he should even bother with having anger towards Eichorst.  Eichorst isn't worth any more wasted emotion.  That period is over.

IMO SF was irritated about how TO was treated by both Eichorst and Pearlman and that they also didn’t understand NU. Sipple alluded to it this am on his radio show.

• Plus1 3