** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Something that doesn't get said enough, because it seems some people think we are just excited because frost is a great coach. But he is a great fit- maybe the only fit. We fired our history-tradition- and culture when we fired solich and the only person out there that was qualified to coach a P5 program like Nebraska that also had a passion and connection to the old way of doing things was frost. He was the only option to link today to the past that was severed. There may have been good coaches but non other that could unite the past history and family. Without him we would have floundered forever without our culture and identity. So I thank frost for coming home. 

• Plus1 5

1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I completely disagree. There is not enough inter conference play to validate two SEC teams in the playoffs and no BIG or PAC teams. How can you be national champion if you can't even win you half of a conference? No second chances for some conferences while giving no chance for other conferences.

Oh, I don’t agree with them getting in either man. I’m just repeated what I’ve heard about how they make the decision. I personally would put OSU or USC as team #4

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Would the overall sentiment be "UCF got completely hosed" if any other coach than Frost had been the head coach?  Just asking...for a friend.  ;)

It depends. If four P5 conference winners are in the playoffs, then IMO UCF did not get hosed. If Alabama and Georgia get in the playoffs, then UCF, USC & OSU got hosed. 

3 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Would the overall sentiment be "UCF got completely hosed" if any other coach than Frost had been the head coach?  Just asking...for a friend.  ;)

Personally, I don’t think UCF is a top 4 team whether coached by Frost or Pelini that doesn’t change for me. The have a couple nice wins but you get a lot of walkovers in that conference outside of the top three. Not having to line up against teams like AM LSU or even Iowa and Michigan as some of your “middle of the road” games is a big advantage. You just get beat up more on a weekly basis in the P5. 

2 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Yep, absolutely. I might not feel it QUITE as strongly, but nonetheless... 

There's only one undefeated FBS team and they're going to the Peach Bowl. Remember how fun it was when WMU did the same thing last year and drew Wiscy in the Cotton?

I know bowl selection is based on a lot of things and SOS is one of them. All the same, what is a team like UCF or WMU supposed to do when they have a magical undefeated season for the ages? I'd really like to find a way to get more of these smaller conference schools that beat everyone the play involved in the playoffs. It would be rewarding them for doing something that is incredibly difficult at any level, and it would give us a glimpse into how much SOS really matters when it comes to winning big games in the post-season. 

I just don't understand the argument against an 8 team playoff. I really haven't heard any, so I'd welcome them if anyone has any. Just seems like a great way to get more teams involved from different conferences and get more people excited about college football at the end of the year.

In all honesty, I think Ohio State getting left out of the playoffs, in favor of Alabama, was partly the result of their getting waxed 31-0 by Clemson last year.

And while I don't like two SEC teams in the playoffs, Alabama has the cache, or history of success, to warrant a spot in the playoffs.  And besides, there is historical precedent for putting a non-conference champion into the national title game (see the 2001 Nebraska squad).  I realize that a playoff berth is not the same as directly getting into the national championship, but the principle is the same.

Just now, Making Chimichangas said:

In all honesty, I think Ohio State getting left out of the playoffs, in favor of Alabama, was partly the result of their getting waxed 31-0 by Clemson last year.

And while I don't like two SEC teams in the playoffs, Alabama has the cache, or history of success, to warrant a spot in the playoffs.  And besides, there is historical precedent for putting a non-conference champion into the national title game (see the 2001 Nebraska squad).  I realize that a playoff berth is not the same as directly getting into the national championship, but the principle is the same.

OSU should have never been in the playoffs last year. They did not win the BIG. PSU was rooked last year. No team should be in the playoffs without winning their conference!