** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

On a serious note...now much correct info was brought up in this thread.  I mean it was agonizing to go thorugh, but the using matt davidson as a connection, moos being in philly, osborne saying it was the best time to come back.  I mean wow it makes me think this is been in the works for a long long time.  Things like this dont get thrown together.  I honestly think if we can make something in the next few years what a hell of a story.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

I will make a guess that that 7 year on his contract gets extended after next season. I think from heart and passion alone Nebraska gets to 7 wins in Frost's first season, and next years schedule is brutal.

I agree BoNeyard.  I think that as long as this team shows improvement throughout the year and year to year that people will be content.  Now there may be some people who will have unrealistic expectations and will be quite vocal about it, but the vast majority of Husker fans young and old understand that it takes time to develop players, it takes time to develop relationships, it takes time to build a team. 

I for one, am excited for our players because they will finally get a chance to be coached up, not just as football players but as young men.  I'm looking forward to a return to unity in our fan base, a return to hearing folks get excited about Husker football again, a return to our kids wearing Husker red because they will have a team to be proud of.  That won't happen overnight but it will happen and we on this board can be a part of it.

To those that would caution us not to get too excited-my question is this: Why not?  Scott Frost is not Billy C., Bo P. or Mike R.  none of whom really understood our culture. Scott does.  That's where my excitement comes from.  Scott Frost is :bigredn:

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

I just don't understand the argument against an 8 team playoff. I really haven't heard any, so I'd welcome them if anyone has any. Just seems like a great way to get more teams involved from different conferences and get more people excited about college football at the end of the year.

The best argument against keeping it at 4 playoff teams is that it limits the amount of SEC teams.  Expand the playoffs to 8 teams and not only would Georgia and Alabama be in the playoffs, but so would Auburn and probably LSU...even with 3 losses.  You know, because of that "tough SEC" schedule.  :blink:

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

Props to @brophog for starting this awesome thread.

Also, not sure if everyone has seen the video of Frost meeting with former players in the weight room today?  Looked like the room was full, and many different eras represented.  Pretty heart thumping moment.

I didn't get to see that!  Is it on YouTube or one of the local news station websites?

1 minute ago, ladyhawke said:

I agree BoNeyard.  I think that as long as this team shows improvement throughout the year and year to year that people will be content.  Now there may be some people who will have unrealistic expectations and will be quite vocal about it, but the vast majority of Husker fans young and old understand that it takes time to develop players, it takes time to develop relationships, it takes time to build a team. 

I for one, am excited for our players because they will finally get a chance to be coached up, not just as football players but as young men.  I'm looking forward to a return to unity in our fan base, a return to hearing folks get excited about Husker football again, a return to our kids wearing Husker red because they will have a team to be proud of.  That won't happen overnight but it will happen and we on this board can be a part of it.

To those that would caution us not to get too excited-my question is this: Why not?  Scott Frost is not Billy C., Bo P. or Mike R.  none of whom really understood our culture. Scott does.  That's where my excitement comes from.  Scott Frost is :bigredn:

To the part in bold...I think he'll get that time as long as we're not getting blown out and embarrassed on national television.  Because let's face it, during Bo's and Mike's coaching tenure...Nebraska got brutally whooped way too many times.  I mean getting 50+ put you by Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc is one thing (not acceptable certainly) ...  But getting 50+ put on you by Iowa and Minnesota?  Getting routinely pounded by Wisconsin?  Those types of losses, if they continue, will quickly destroy any patience the fan base will show Coach Frost.  Not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Something that doesn't get said enough, because it seems some people think we are just excited because frost is a great coach. But he is a great fit- maybe the only fit. We fired our history-tradition- and culture when we fired solich and the only person out there that was qualified to coach a P5 program like Nebraska that also had a passion and connection to the old way of doing things was frost. He was the only option to link today to the past that was severed. There may have been good coaches but non other that could unite the past history and family. Without him we would have floundered forever without our culture and identity. So I thank frost for coming home. 

I have said it for quite awhile now that we threw away “Nebraska” when we fired Solich.  Bo was suppose to bring that back but never did because he never truly embraced what makes Nebraska special... their fans.  

This day is the first day I have “felt” Nebraska football since around 2003. 

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The best argument against keeping it at 4 playoff teams is that it limits the amount of SEC teams.  Expand the playoffs to 8 teams and not only would Georgia and Alabama be in the playoffs, but so would Auburn and probably LSU...even with 3 losses.  You know, because of that "tough SEC" schedule.  :blink:

I would like to see an 8 team playoff. Give an automatic bid to each Power 5 conference winner, and have a lower level playoff system for the remaining 3 spots. The eligible teams are other Conference winners. No conference championship, no chance at a MNC.

• Plus1 4
16 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I would like to see an 8 team playoff. Give an automatic bid to each Power 5 conference winner, and have a lower level playoff system for the remaining 3 spots. The eligible teams are other Conference winners. No conference championship, no chance at a MNC.

BUT NOTRE DAME

19 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I'd go with an 8 team CFP with the P5 champs as automatic, then the committee picks a G5 champ for the 6th spot and two at-large spots.

• Plus1 2

50 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Personally, I don’t think UCF is a top 4 team whether coached by Frost or Pelini that doesn’t change for me. The have a couple nice wins but you get a lot of walkovers in that conference outside of the top three. Not having to line up against teams like AM LSU or even Iowa and Michigan as some of your “middle of the road” games is a big advantage. You just get beat up more on a weekly basis in the P5. 

No matter how hard I try, I cannot read your posts without hearing the voice of Patrick Bateman in my head. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I didn't get to see that!  Is it on YouTube or one of the local news station websites?

There is another thread on HB titled "Frost Addresses Former Players in the Weight Room" or something close to that.  Other reports say the number of players present was around 100!  Pretty crazy and inspirational.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I had forgotten about the Irish.  My stance is: If Notre Dame wants to be included in any playoff, then they should be forced to join a conference.  Either join an FBS conference or pound sand.

I hate them. I'd be happy if they die alone.

26 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

To the part in bold...I think he'll get that time as long as we're not getting blown out and embarrassed on national television.  Because let's face it, during Bo's and Mike's coaching tenure...Nebraska got brutally whooped way too many times.  I mean getting 50+ put you by Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc is one thing (not acceptable certainly) ...  But getting 50+ put on you by Iowa and Minnesota?  Getting routinely pounded by Wisconsin?  Those types of losses, if they continue, will quickly destroy any patience the fan base will show Coach Frost.  Not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.

The nice thing is, I don't think those types of losses happen under Frost. Sure there may be some over his coaching career here, but not routinely. I feel confident those days are over. Frost is just too much of a competitor and too invested for something like that to happen all the time.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

Yep, absolutely. I might not feel it QUITE as strongly, but nonetheless... 

There's only one undefeated FBS team and they're going to the Peach Bowl. Remember how fun it was when WMU did the same thing last year and drew Wiscy in the Cotton?

I know bowl selection is based on a lot of things and SOS is one of them. All the same, what is a team like UCF or WMU supposed to do when they have a magical undefeated season for the ages? I'd really like to find a way to get more of these smaller conference schools that beat everyone the play involved in the playoffs. It would be rewarding them for doing something that is incredibly difficult at any level, and it would give us a glimpse into how much SOS really matters when it comes to winning big games in the post-season. 

I just don't understand the argument against an 8 team playoff. I really haven't heard any, so I'd welcome them if anyone has any. Just seems like a great way to get more teams involved from different conferences and get more people excited about college football at the end of the year.

I agree. It works with basketball (Remember Butler?) why can't they make it work in football?