** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

33 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Here are the current SOS rankings from ESPN.  This is through this past week's games.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Central Florida was significantly higher than NU before this past week.  NU got a bump up from playing Wisconsin, and UCF's SOS was hurt from whipping up on Cincinnati.

About what I thought, pretty comparable thus far, Nebraska should get a stronger schedule down the strech and I think we may see a larger gap in the statistics in UCF's favor.

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

About what I thought, pretty comparable thus far, Nebraska should get a stronger schedule down the strech and I think we may see a larger gap in the statistics in UCF's favor.

Yes, Central Florida's SOS will take a hit down the road, but what has impressed me is they aren't just winning games, they are curb-stomping teams.  Good teams/coaches go out and whip inferior opponents.

10 hours ago, FTW said:

This is possibly one of the major cons of taking the job here along with the stress is you have to recruit nationality. Our in-state talent isn't as good as it used to be but we can't let our top players go to Iowa, Oregon, UCF, and other schools.

I know Scott doesn't like to travel especially during recruiting but being in FL he can easily drive everywhere and not worry about any layovers or jet lag.

What are the rules regarding private jets or charter flights. Can't NU fly Frost direct anywhere he needs to go?

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, Central Florida's SOS will take a hit down the road, but what has impressed me is they aren't just winning games, they are curb-stomping teams.  Good teams/coaches go out and whip inferior opponents.

Yea exactly and they should keep rolling through their schedule while we will likely struggle down the stretch. I think the stats will reflect that. If they keep running teams off the field and play well against USF the hype for Frost will be off the chart. 

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We probably won't see a growing gap, for two reasons. First, Nebraska's numbers are already pretty pedestrian, so we aren't likely to see a huge drop off due to schedule. Second, UCF's numbers are still a bit inflated due to the number of games. If anything, they'll regress slightly to the mean as their number of games increase.

7 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Rushing defense: Nebraska 147.0 (61); UCF 91.0 (9)

Passing yards allowed: Nebraska 208.8 (47); UCF 238.8 (88)

UCF's in game dominance skews this ratio because teams are generally playing from behind. If we contrast this with UCF's per play averages we get.

Rushing YPC 3.2 (17)

Passing YPA 6.5 (33)

Nebraska, playing more neutrally dominated games ranks 70, 45. 

23 hours ago, Undone said:

+1. This is so funny Red Five; I was just coming here to post the same thing!

Yes, I want to hear from this crowd as well.

I believe the Memphis game was balanced approx 350 yards rushing and 350 yards passing.  (It may have been the Maryland game but pretty sure Memphis)

Just now, TGHusker said:

I believe the Memphis game was balanced approx 350 yards rushing and 350 yards passing.  (It may have been the Maryland game but pretty sure Memphis)

I appreciate the research. I'm open to whatever turns this program around. I honestly don't care if it's the Wishbone, the 'Mack Brown at Texas' Spread, or the Power I. 

I'm just hoping that the Oregon style of offense can match up against Wisconsin and Iowa. Husker football right now is boiling down to whether or not we can beat those two teams each season. We need a coach with the vision to craft a team that's built to win in the league we play in. If Frost has that vision, I'd be excited to see it in action.

25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, those offensive numbers suck.

Pretty overly simplistic argument, especially since everything there is isolated to one game versus a potentially terrible opponent.

Does anything that Frost does translate into putting up 35ish points against a Wisconsin defense? Maybe, maybe not. We need a coach that has the vision to create an offense that works well in this league. If Frost is that guy, that's great and I'd welcome him. Because what we have now isn't working very well.

Just now, Undone said:

Pretty overly simplistic argument, especially since everything there is isolated to one game versus a potentially terrible opponent.

Does anything that Frost does translate into putting up 35ish points against a Wisconsin defense? Maybe, maybe not. We need a coach that has the vision to create an offense that works well in this league. If Frost is that guy, that's great and I'd welcome him. Because what we have now isn't working very well.

It was about as simple of an argument as saying that Frost and UCF doesn't "run the ball" enough because they are averaging 300 yards passing.

I agree that I really don't care what type of Frost runs.  I think he is smart enough to adapt his offense to work in the environment that his team plays in.  That "environment" includes roster, competition, weather, etc.  I would hope that any coach is smart enough to adapt what they run to the team's environment.  I don't think Riley and Langsdorf have been that smart with the current NU offense.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It was about as simple of an argument as saying that Frost and UCF doesn't "run the ball" enough because they are averaging 300 yards passing.

I would agree with that assessment. 

It's just a fair warning to "run the damn ball" guy that Oregon's system that Frost is currently using is more of a "finesse" running system (if there is such a thing). But, it's not terribly far off from what Beck was doing. Not incredibly similar but not too far off. And we usually didn't have much trouble scoring points against Wisconsin and Iowa. We had trouble letting them stomp us in the run game.  :)

15 minutes ago, Undone said:

I would agree with that assessment. 

It's just a fair warning to "run the damn ball" guy that Oregon's system that Frost is currently using is more of a "finesse" running system (if there is such a thing). But, it's not terribly far off from what Beck was doing. Not incredibly similar but not too far off. And we usually didn't have much trouble scoring points against Wisconsin and Iowa. We had trouble letting them stomp us in the run game.  :)

I may be taking a little too much from one part of your comment, but what is a "finesse" running system"?  Are you saying "run the damn ball" guy isn't going to be happy with Frost's offense which has a lot of "spread" formations?  I think (as I think you do) that you can have power run games, out of a "spread" formation with a QB in a pistol or shot-gun.  This can be done by splitting a TE wide or even having 4 WR'S in the formation, yet running the ball behind a dominant and powerful o-line.  We all saw Osborne go to wing-bone formation with Frost as his QB, and that wasn't called a "finesse" running system.

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic