Thoughts and Prayers!!!

How is what Neil said stupid? It's just facts. He didn't even give you context or the reason he posted it. Maybe he's saying that we shouldn't let it scare us from living our lives. There are any number of ways we could die each day.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

How is what Neil said stupid? It's just facts. He didn't even give you context or the reason he posted it. Maybe he's saying that we shouldn't let it scare us from living our lives. There are any number of ways we could die each day.

It's stupid because its whataboutism. I know we have lost alot of lives but what about all the other lives we lose. The fact that Neil is leaving out is we can be upset about all of these things and take steps to prevent them. The other fact it leaves out is 34 deaths in isolated incidents is alot more alarming than people dying for various reasons across the entire population. I'd venture to guess those other deaths are far less concentrated on a map when compared to the mass shooting. That makes a difference. 

Providing no context is almost worse. Its insulting and insinuating that the shootings aren't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

It's stupid because its whataboutism. I know we have lost alot of lives but what about all the other lives we lose. The fact that Neil is leaving out is we can be upset about all of these things and take steps to prevent them. The other fact it leaves out is 34 deaths in isolated incidents is alot more alarming than people dying for various reasons across the entire population. I'd venture to guess those other deaths are far less concentrated on a map when compared to the mass shooting. That makes a difference. 

Providing no context is almost worse. Its insulting and insinuating that the shootings aren't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not disagreeing that those numbers and the 2 incidents this weekend are drastically different. But you don't even know what his intention was with the post, yet you're jumping to your own conclusion.

Here's his statement about his tweet and the backlash.

https://m.facebook.com/notes/neil-degrasse-tyson/tweetstorm/10157492889446613/

TweetStorm
4 HOURS AGO · PUBLIC
TweetStorm - August 5, 2019
Yesterday, a Tweet I posted in reaction to the horrific mass shootings in America over the previous 48 hours, killing 34 people, spawned mixed and highly critical responses.
If you missed it, I offered a short list of largely preventable causes of death, along with their average two-day death toll in the United States. They significantly exceeded the death toll from the two days of mass shootings, including the number of people (40) who on average die from handgun homicides every two days.
I then noted that we tend to react emotionally to spectacular incidences of death, with the implication that more common causes of death trigger milder responses within us.
My intent was to offer objectively true information that might help shape conversations and reactions to preventable ways we die. Where I miscalculated was that I genuinely believed the Tweet would be helpful to anyone trying to save lives in America. What I learned from the range of reactions is that for many people, some information –-my Tweet in particular -- can be true but unhelpful, especially at a time when many people are either still in shock, or trying to heal – or both.
So if you are one of those people, I apologize for not knowing in advance what effect my Tweet could have on you. I am therefore thankful for the candor and depth of critical reactions shared in my Twitter feed. As an educator, I personally value knowing with precision and accuracy what reaction anything that I say (or write) will instill in my audience, and I got this one wrong.
Respectfully Submitted
Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Thanks 1

WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY YOUR MOC's TAKE FROM THE NRA:

Text “NRA” to 50409 learn which of your elected officials get money from the NRA.

After that if you want, @resistbot will also let you write to your elected officials to encourage HR8, the gun safety bill that has already passed in the House and is sitting on Mitch McConnell’s desk.

The bold below, I wonder if Mexico's Foreign Minister  arrives in El Paso to support the victims before Trump says anything meaningful - much less does anything meaningful.

Pretty bad when Mexico, a country known for the drug cartels,  is now claiming the USA is a place of 'barbarism'  and terrorism.  Sadly it is too true.  What have we fallen to?  :facepalm::cry

This is reason enough to kick Trump out of office and flip the do nothing Senate - the GOP is in the hands of the NRA and nothing gets done on this subject.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mexico-vows-take-legal-action-against-u-s-wake-deadly-n1039096

Mexico on Sunday threatened to take legal action against the United States for failing to protect its citizens after this weekend's mass shooting in the border city of El Paso.

Of the 20 people gunned down at a Walmart adjacent to the Cielo Vista Mall, at least seven were Mexican citizens, and Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard promised Mexico City will act.

In a statement, the Foreign Ministry called the attack in El Paso a "terrorist act against innocent Mexicans."

Ebrard called Saturday's shooting an “act of barbarism.”

“The president has instructed me to ensure that Mexico’s indignation translates into ... efficient, prompt, expeditious and forceful legal actions for Mexico to take a role and demand that conditions are established that protect ... Mexicans in the United States,” Ebrard said in a video posted on Twitter.

Ebrard later announced that he would be in El Paso to meet with the victims and offer support from the Mexican government.

Of the 26 injured in the attack, at least nine were Mexican nationals, according to the government.