Gary Sharp Says On Twitter Frost To UF Is "Close To A Done Deal"

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Their paths look similar - their approaches do not. Especially in regards to recruiting rankings.

Saban:

Kelly:

Consistently in then Top 15 is pretty good IMO at Oregon. He also showed that that level is good enough to win at an elite/championship level. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think that top 15 classes at Oregon is pretty darn good.  I know there is the Nike money and the cool unis, but it's not around a huge amount of talent.

Saban is able to select players to come to Alabama.  He's not really "recruiting" at this point.

Alabama was nearly dead in the water when Saban showed up. He built it to that level - it didn't start like that. 

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Their paths look similar - their approaches do not. Especially in regards to recruiting rankings.

Saban:

Kelly:

In regards to where they were/are both coaching at...that is basically the same ranking.

If Chip is at NU and pulls in 4 top 15 classes in a row...watch out.  

Just now, Landlord said:

Alabama was nearly dead in the water when Saban showed up. He built it to that level - it didn't start like that. 

They weren't dead in the water...they had hired lame ass coaches.  He didn't need to build he only needed to pull the cord hard enough to get the engine going again.  

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Doesn't Chip Kelly's career path look similar to Nick Saban's?

Both had pretty good success in college.  Both tried the NFL and failed.  One went back to college at a program with more successful tradition than where he was before...... and is having great success....and hasn't jumped back to the NFL.

I would be fine hiring Kelly.

And before Saban went back Alabama wasn't doing very well as a program. He was hired in 2007

2003: 4-9

2004: 6-6

2005: 10-2 (vacated 10 wins according to Wikipedia)

2006: 6-7 (Appears wins were vacated as well here) 

Their last national championship had been in 1992 until they won it again in 2009. 

It appears to me that Kelly did more with less than Saban with those recruiting rankings. If we pulled in a Top 15 class here on a regular basis, we're basically in Indy every year with the right coach.  

Just now, Landlord said:

I understand how bad Alabama was and Saban has done a great job of building there.  I'm not trying to discount his success there.

However, when you point out recruiting rankings, there are many factors in play there.

1)  A guy who gets an Alabama offer is going to get a bump in their recruiting rankings, thus Alabama gets super high recruiting rankings, especially since they cut guys and are able to sign more and more each season.

2)  Alabama has SO MANY guys interested in playing there right off the bat, that Saban is now basically selecting which guys he wants.  To me, that's not recruiting, that's selecting.

Just now, BIGREDIOWAN said:

And before Saban went back Alabama wasn't doing very well as a program. He was hired in 2007

2003: 4-9

2004: 6-6

2005: 10-2 (vacated 10 wins according to Wikipedia)

2006: 6-7 (Appears wins were vacated as well here) 

Their last national championship had been in 1992 until they won it again in 2009. 

It appears to me that Kelly did more with less than Saban with those recruiting rankings. If we pulled in a Top 15 class here on a regular basis, we're basically in Indy every year with the right coach.  

Yep!

Bama just hired lame coaches...Shula?  DuBose?  Good lord they hired Mike Price for 10 minutes...They were just a mess for a decade or so because they kept hiring crap.  

3 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Sounds familiar............:(

DuBose was good and bad.  But he was coaching with a big reduction is scholarships from Stallings' tenure.  Plus Bama found out he was sleeping with his secretary.

Franchione was a good hire but then bolted for A&M.  Bama offered him a 10 year contract.  He left due to scholarship reductions from DuBose's tenure.

Mike Price-Hookers and blow

Mike Shula was an emergency hire due to Price getting the boot.  Not that he was great but he wasn't ready.  He was a QB coach when he got hired.

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

DuBose was good and bad.  But he was coaching with a big reduction is scholarships from Stallings' tenure.  Plus Bama found out he was sleeping with his secretary.

Franchione was a good hire but then bolted for A&M.  Bama offered him a 10 year contract.  He left due to scholarship reductions from DuBose's tenure.

Mike Price-Hookers and blow

Mike Shula was an emergency hire due to Price getting the boot.  Not that he was great but he wasn't ready.  He was a QB coach when he got hired.

And Fran sort of ended up flaming out at AM, didn't he?

DuBose had a few good years at Bama.

1 hour ago, jessica0 said:

Chip Kelly isn't getting an NFL job and he isn't getting an SEC job. The SEC passed some dumb rule recently that forces a school to get permission from the SEC office to hire a coach if they got in trouble with the NCAA. 

If UCLA opens then I can see him going there, but if that job doesn't open up, where is going to go? Stay in some crap job at ESPN or go out and make a good living competing in life? 

Here's what I was really getting at....does Chip Kelly want to coach so badly that he would take the Nebraska job?

Chip Kelly is not coming to Nebraska. This whole deal with Kelly and Frost going to UF is nothing more than a ploy to drive up Frost's value for Nebraska. He wants to come here. His agent is fueling these rumors to drive up his stock. By the time it happens Moos will think he's getting a deal at $6.5M per.

• Plus1 3