Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not

TGHusker

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Were those actually addressed to players?

That's what the Hawaii coach is implying, some of his players were asked to come to the Beaver's spring game, which just happened to be the same day as Hawaii's game.

He blocked out names, that's pretty obvious. But without those names it's possible he's playing a joke back at the Oregon State staff. I know there's some crossover on staff between the two schools.  What if OSU sent some coaches invites to the Spring Game as a joke, and to get back at them the Hawaii coach blocked out the names & implied they were sent to players?

He tagged Lavar Ball in the tweet. That doesn't seem like something you'd do if it was a serious concern. 

On 5/2/2018 at 2:37 PM, MichiganDad3 said:

I can see the value for recruiting. Even if he doesn't recruit, someone with a long list of contacts is valuable. As far as a nice demeanor and 40 years of coaching, I see no value. If someone has been stinking it up for 40 years, IMO that is worse that no experience. MR has proven that he cannot improve. A young coach with a few bad years may be able to get better. MR can't even manage the clock or maintain discipline. If you can't even handle simple coaching tasks after 40 years, there is no value in your football knowledge.

Mike Riley is an interesting case.  They say nice guys finish last...you know what they also do though?  Get paid for a really, really long time.  You see Mike Riley's all over the business landscape.  I disagree about him offering no value, his nice demeanor earned him nearly $10mm from Nebraska.  That's a whole helluva lot of value...for himself and his family.

2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Mike Riley is an interesting case.  They say nice guys finish last...you know what they also do though?  Get paid for a really, really long time.  You see Mike Riley's all over the business landscape.  I disagree about him offering no value, his nice demeanor earned him nearly $10mm from Nebraska.  That's a whole helluva lot of value...for himself and his family.

Jokes on them, then.

Mike Riley finished 4th (in the Big Ten West) in 2015, 3th in 2016, and 5st in 2017.  That averages to 4th, or right smack in the middle. Which is what you earn for a .500 record.

He was 12-14 in conference, though, so maybe that doesn't make any sense.

He was/is nice, though.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Jokes on them, then.

Mike Riley finished 4th (in the Big Ten West) in 2015, 3th in 2016, and 5st in 2017.  That averages to 4th, or right smack in the middle. Which is what you earn for a .500 record.

He was 12-14 in conference, though, so maybe that doesn't make any sense.

He was/is nice, though.

Maybe he's not as nice as we have been led to believe.

Or - at least - others are nicer?  :dunno

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

MR provided no value to the Huskers football team. A fool scooped up a career loser, at the end of his career, and handed him a golden parachute. MR didn't even make an effort to improve; he brought most of his sorry OSU crew with him.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not