Tanner Lee Declares for NFL Draft

Lee in the Draft  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe he gets drafted, and I do not believe he will, but I do not think he will make a team.  Arm strength is overrated as an indicator and his tape does not lie. In college, the QB is very important.  In the NFL, it is everything, the position drives the league.  

In the pros he will have to make even quicker decisions than he did at NE.  You can point to our O line issues, but the pass rush will be faster, coming in at all angles and harder to predict at the next level.  He is not fleet of foot, so he needs to be able to slide in the pocket while keeping his head downfield and throw the ball quickly, either at the receiver or out of bounds.  The amount of coaching a back up player gets in the league is not as much as one would think.  His best scenario is he will be running scout teams and the pros do not dedicate a lot of time developing marginal talent.

As stated above, what hurts Lee most is decision making and accuracy. Those are the two most important aspects of the position.  The windows to throw into in the NFL are tiny and you have a split second before they close.  Lee will have to be able to read coverages, identify the correct matchup and not only hit open receiver, but throw to him at the correct time before the secondary adjusts.  This is a vertical uphill battle for him.  

Edited by HuskerPowerVA
  • Plus1 2

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m not a NFL Draft expert but with Lamar Jackson, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Mason Rudolph, that’s already 5 guys that would be drafted ahead of Lee. I don’t see Lee in the top 15 of QBs drafted. 

The draft experts have all made comments about teams' concerns will all of those guys.   Tanner does really well in camps so it could be enough to raise his stock, like what happened to Fabian Washington.   

6 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

The draft experts have all made comments about teams' concerns will all of those guys.   Tanner does really well in camps so it could be enough to raise his stock, like what happened to Fabian Washington.   

There is a difference between running a 4.2 forty (what Fabian did) and looking good in a t-shirt and shorts. No way Lee climbs into the top 10 QBs. 

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Maybe he gets drafted, and I do not believe he will, but I do not think he will make a team.  Arm strength is overrated as an indicator and his tape does not lie. In college, the QB is very important.  In the NFL, it is everything, the position drives the league.  

In the pros he will have to make even quicker decisions than he did at NE.  You can point to our O line issues, but the pass rush will be faster, coming in at all angles and harder to predict at the next level.  He is not fleet of foot, so he needs to be able to slide in the pocket while keeping his head downfield and throw the ball quickly, either at the receiver or out of bounds.  The amount of coaching a back up player gets in the league is not as much as one would think.  His best scenario is he will be running scout teams and the pros do not dedicate a lot of time developing marginal talent.

As stated above, what hurts Lee most is decision making and accuracy. Those are the two most important aspects of the position.  The windows to throw into in the NFL are tiny and you have a split second before they close.  Lee will have to be able to read coverages, identify the correct matchup and not only hit open receiver, but throw to him at the correct time before the secondary adjusts.  This is a vertical uphill battle for him.  

I agree with this ^^^.  And one other thing, no defense in the NFL will go "half speed" so he can look good for the coaches.  That being said, I think he has a slight chance to be drafted, simply because of his familiarity with an NFL offense.  If Lee does get drafted, I think he'll be a 6th or 7th round pick at best.  

The state of the NFL is that if you're a 6' 4" quarterback, someone will give you a look.

A lot of NFL caliber scouts were high on Tanner from the summer QB camps, so the chances of him being someone's project are pretty good. But that could easily be an UFA project -- you might take heat committing a draft pick to a guy with his numbers. 

On 12/28/2017 at 3:22 PM, TonyStalloni said:

Rather than getting drafted in the later rounds to a poor team with a bad O line he might be better off going undrafted and signing with a team with a good coach and an O line that would protect him in case he has to play soon.

Good teams are the ones taking QBs late typically, because they already have one and don't have to reach. Bad teams take them in the first two rounds because they don't have one.

• Plus1 1
On 12/29/2017 at 6:59 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m not a NFL Draft expert but with Lamar Jackson, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Mason Rudolph, that’s already 5 guys that would be drafted ahead of Lee. I don’t see Lee in the top 15 of QBs drafted. 

Lamar jackson should get drafted for another position.  He is a worse version of RGIII and will be broken if playing qb.

So I agree 4/5 :)