Tanner Lee Declares for NFL Draft

Lee in the Draft  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are using stats from over 20 years ago to support your arguments for Brady and Favre. It’s a totally different game now, where completion % overall is much higher  and fewer interceptions have much more value than they used to. It’s an apples to oranges argument. 

Beyond that, using two outliers kind of proves what a long shot Lee is. 

Think about out how many guys over the last 20 years with stats comparable or better then Lee you could come up with that never played or flamed out. 

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, krc1995 said:

because you have to be a complete authority on every topic you post on, right?  

No, but in this particular instance would you agree that discussing the intricacies on the way that QBs get drafted and how that relates to Lee with someone who admits that they both hate pro football and doesn't watch it (which is the purpose of this thread) seems like an uphill battle?   

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

I’ll say first that I root for every ex husker when they are in the NFL. I wish Lee only the best and much success. 

HOWEVER

Its easy to find outliers for every situation. They prove nothing. And mean nothing. Most people here are simply using their powers of observation and common sense in their predictions about Lee. For every Favre or Brady there are hundreds of late round or UDFA QBs that you will never hear of. So yeah Lee could be the next TB12. But the overwhelming odds are that he will never even play a down in the NFL. 

I don’t believe the people saying this are rooting against him or anything like that. I’m certainly not. But I don’t think he ever becomes a successful QB on Sundays. Mainly because ya know the whole game thing

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are using stats from over 20 years ago to support your arguments for Brady and Favre. It’s a totally different game now, where completion % overall is much higher  and fewer interceptions have much more value than they used to. It’s an apples to oranges argument. 

The point of my post is that you can't base everything on college stats, and guys like Lee are drafted literally every year.

Do I think he will be successful, no I don't believe he will.  His declaring is better than sitting the bench next year at Nebraska.  I bet he gets on with a team for at least 2-3 seasons.  Whether he ever plays a down is another story.

• Plus1 1
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, Redux said:

junior4949 voted sarcastically?

I think I am the one who had him 3rd round or higher.  I didn't watch the game, but I have been reading about it this morning.  I read one scout who called him Josh Allen-lite.  From what I've read about his performance, I'd be willing to change my vote to 4th-5th round.  I think a team with an established QB will take him to see if they can develop him.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

The point of my post is that you can't base everything on college stats, and guys like Lee are drafted literally every year.

Do I think he will be successful, no I don't believe he will.  His declaring is better than sitting the bench next year at Nebraska.  I bet he gets on with a team for at least 2-3 seasons.  Whether he ever plays a down is another story.

The best thing for Lee is to make an NFL roster, and sit on the bench for 15 years. Its a great living, and he suffers no long term injuries. He can probably learn enough to become a pretty good coach. He could be a great coach if he just does the opposite of what MR did at Nebraska :)

Edited by MichiganDad3
  • Plus1 2
10 hours ago, junior4949 said:

I think I am the one who had him 3rd round or higher.  I didn't watch the game, but I have been reading about it this morning.  I read one scout who called him Josh Allen-lite.  From what I've read about his performance, I'd be willing to change my vote to 4th-5th round.  I think a team with an established QB will take him to see if they can develop him.

Compared to the other QB's at the senior bowl, he didnt belong in the same game as the others.  Couple that with the multiple interceptions from practice reports, and the turnovers/near turnovers in the game, I'm going to say UDFA.  I would love nothing more than to be wrong, but the kid just can't shake the turnover monster.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:47 AM, In the Deed the Glory said:

I just don't get it. Is there that big of a shortage of QBs in the NFL?  Can someone explain why  he is a viable candidate for a NFL roster.  His performance at NU was horrific in many respects - yes he had a terrible line to play behind and not the best OC but he didn't blaze the trail at Tulane and was over hyped by MR and staff coming into last season.  Seems like the hype is all from that one summer camp.  Regardless, I hope he does well and finds a good path for himself.

58 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I just don't get it. Is there that big of a shortage of QBs in the NFL?  Can someone explain why  he is a viable candidate for a NFL roster.  His performance at NU was horrific in many respects - yes he had a terrible line to play behind and not the best OC but he didn't blaze the trail at Tulane and was over hyped by MR and staff coming into last season.  Seems like the hype is all from that one summer camp.  Regardless, I hope he does well and finds a good path for himself.

Coaches are always fascinated by size and a big arm. Those things cannot be taught or developed, but you can teach a guy not to throw picks. It is just like all the pitchers that throw 98 mph. They always get drafted  high because that velocity can't be taught. Never mind that a guy can't throw a curve ball or throw his fast ball over the plate, they still get drafted. I think Lee will have a great combine. This is where he shines. I hope he gets drafted, but I don't have any expectations of him playing well in the NFL.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Because coaches/GMs/whoever like to look at potential and find excuses for things that are lacking.  Sometimes they are right.  Sometimes they're not.

I changed my vote to drafted in the late rounds (from undrafted).  He apparently does really well in practice, non-pressure situations.  It only takes one team to think they can "fix" a few things and make him worth a flier.

No matter what the sport, coaches and scouts fall in love with the first glance they see on the field.  Guys that have "the look" are always going to be first noticed by those coaches and scouts.  That could be size, speed, arm strength, or whatever, but Lee has the "look" of a classic, NFL-style, pocket passer.  He stands tall in the pocket and has a good arm.  That attributes alone will probably get him drafted.