Changes to Spring Practice and the Spring Game

Saunders

Hopefully Frost realizes the true value and benefit of the spring "game" and he runs it as much like a real game as possible.   He will be going into the fall with an untested QB and many other players as well presumably.  Conventional wisdom says a team makes it biggest improvement in between games one and two.  If you treat the spring game as a game, you may not be quite the same as a true opponent but you can get reasonably close.  You may risk an injury but that's football.  If you play 'flag football' or two hand touch, you are practicing something that is NOT real football.  The teams needs every minute and every snap of practice as is legally possible (and then some frankly).   The crap that Pelini and even somewhat Riley did with the simulated play, half the rules changed or abandoned, etc. is NOT using the game to the best advantage.  The crowd will be the biggest the freshman have ever played in front and the competition will be the best they've seen as well (better than high school presumably).   

They need to block, tackle, punt, pass, kick, return, and run live plays with honest refs, etc.   This is how you evaluate how good a football players is:  by playing football.   

Of course the fans deserve to see a real game - they are paying for it and ought to be treated to real football.  

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, Saunders said:

Greg Sharpe talked at an event last week, and Coach Frost wants to make some changes to our Spring Practice format. He doesn't want the break in the middle that we've had in recent years, so they're starting after spring break, and running all the way to the end of April. The Spring Game will be April 28th and we should get some news on this soon. I would expect that we'll be the only B1G school playing that day (or at least the biggest), so we should get a ton of attention and the whole game on BTN.

I am glad he's changing it.  I have always thought that taking a break for a week halfway through spring practice was ridiculous and put us at a competitive disadvantage.  I can't really prove the "competitive disadvantage" claim, but it just seems logical to think that teams gell better going through spring practice non-stop.

• 2 weeks later...