Bracketology

Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
    • No, and no postseason tournament
    • No, but makes NIT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 11:17 PM

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

If we finish 4th we get a double bye. 1-2 wins would be pretty tough because we would most likely be playing a 5 seed(Michigan) and a 1 seed(Purdue).

If we lose 1 game, and Michigan loses only 1 game(OSU is only upper team left for them), I believe we lose the tiebreaker because of overall record. We would get a 1st round bye and be the 5 seed. 

Purdue and Michigan St are the only 2 teams that worry me. That is fair in regards to getting a win in the conference tourney. I've always been an advocate against the conference tournament especially for smaller conferences. 

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Purdue and Michigan St are the only 2 teams that worry me. That is fair in regards to getting a win in the conference tourney. I've always been an advocate against the conference tournament especially for smaller conferences. 

I would like another crack at MSU since our last showing was awful. 

That being said, OSU and Michigan are both good teams but to your point, I feel like we could compete.

Ohio State didnt really beat anyone in non-con. They lost to Gonzaga, Butler, Clemson and UNC. Only "good" Non-con win was against Stanford(99th in KenPom).

Who have they truly beat in the Big ten? MSU, Nebraska, Michigan.. All of those were at home.

They still get Purdue and Michigan on the road, but really there resume isnt loads better than ours(It is better but strictly because of the Michigan state win)

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

if we finish 5-1 we are going to the tourney. We'd be 22-9 with winning 12 of our last 14 games (finish 4th in the B10). Sprinkle in 1 or 2 wins in the B10 tourney to get to 23 or 24 wins. 

If they had beaten Kansas or Creighton, yes. Since they didn't, going 5-1 is the minimum of what they have to do. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/30/pac-12-basketball-the-case-for-expanding-the-conference-schedule-why-play-18-when-20-makes-so-much-more-sense/

The selection committee does not differentiate between results from conference and non-conference play; nor does it use conference record as a metric.

In the committee room, results are results. Quality opponents are quality opponents, whether they’re in conference or not. Cupcakes are cupcakes, whether they’re in conference or not.

However, the non-conference portion of the schedule serves to frame the evaluation of a conference in total by determining individual RPIs.

The higher a team’s power rating before the onset of conference play, the better for everyone else involved in the round-robin competition.

People need to seriously look at Nebraska's resume. I don't care about the total # of wins we have- our tournament resume is not that impressive. The criteria that matters for selection into the tournament means we are on the outside looking in. We need to win out and get to the B1G finals IMO to really have a chance. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/30/pac-12-basketball-the-case-for-expanding-the-conference-schedule-why-play-18-when-20-makes-so-much-more-sense/

People need to seriously look at Nebraska's resume. I don't care about the total # of wins we have- our tournament resume is not that impressive. The criteria that matters for selection into the tournament means we are on the outside looking in. We need to win out and get to the B1G finals IMO to really have a chance. 

I think this is a bit of an over statement. They can say what they want, but if we finish 4th in the BIG by winning out, that will hold some weight. I dont think we would have to go to the finals if we win out.

The 4 seed would play either the #5 seed or the winner of 12/13. If we win that, we play the 1 seed or 8/9 seed.

If we are at 23 wins and play Michigan again, I think a win there locks us in. We would be at 24 wins.

If we lose 1 game(depending on who it is to) then we might need to make the finals but we also could get an extra game if we end up as the 5 seed and could still get to 24 wins.

The eye test is a big deal and we are winning a lot of games right now. 6-2 in our last 8 games. 

If we go 5-1 and finish the season on a 11-3 run, that is hard to ignore.

15 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'd look to 2010/2011 Virginia Tech as a good example: they won 22 games in a better conference, had an RPI of 65, SOS of 69 and beat #1 Duke.....and got left out. Nebraska needs as many wins as it can muster; just pull a Jake Taylor. 

win-the-whole-fricking-thing.jpg

They won 19 regular season games and finished 2-3 out of their last 5. Big difference IMO than a team that gets to 22 regular season wins like we can this year 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

They won 19 regular season games and finished 2-3 out of their last 5. Big difference IMO than a team that gets to 22 regular season wins like we can this year 

2011-2012 Washington was the example I thought of. They WON the Pac 12 at 14-4 finished 24-11 and lost to Oregon State in the Pac 12 tournament quarterfinals and didn't make the NCAA tournament. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–12_Washington_Huskies_men's_basketball_team

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

If we finish 4th we get a double bye. 1-2 wins would be pretty tough because we would most likely be playing a 5 seed(Michigan) and a 1 seed(Purdue).

If we lose 1 game, and Michigan loses only 1 game(OSU is only upper team left for them), I believe we lose the tiebreaker because of overall record. We would get a 1st round bye and be the 5 seed. 

We would win the tie breaker because head to head is the 1st tie breaker.

47 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

We would win the tie breaker because head to head is the 1st tie breaker.

Good call, I was confused because earlier when we were tied they were ahead of us. Must have been because someone else was tied with us?

For those who are curious: http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110410aae.html

Edited by Minnesota_husker
37 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Good call, I was confused because earlier when we were tied they were ahead of us. Must have been because someone else was tied with us?

For those who are curious: http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110410aae.html

I'm sure it was alphabetical with M being before N.  Sports sites tend to sort by wins/ losses and then alphabetical because it would be too hard for them to actually look at the tie breakers.

• Plus1 1