Unpopular Opinion

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The lawsuit was about not allowing someone else to profit from your work and likeness. There are thousands of such lawsuits every year.

I think most college athletes would be pretty excited to have their likeness in a video game, let's not pretend that's the issue.  It's that as college athletes they can't get paid for it.  They should have went after the NCAA, but what do I know.

1 minute ago, Redux said:

Gamers are not the ones to blame.

Gamers are the douches who still bitch at a man getting what is rightfully his.  They are absolutely the ones to blame in a conversation like this.

I don't see the gaming industry calling Keller a "douche" to this day.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Gamers are the douches who still bitch at a man getting what is rightfully his.  They are absolutely the ones to blame in a conversation like this.

I don't see the gaming industry calling Keller a "douche" to this day.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, whatever makes you  think your argument is valid.

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't need any kind of fake validation to know right from wrong.

You're blaming everyone who ever played a game for a paid martyrs feelings being potentially hurt.  You're argument is almost as self serving as those calling Keller a douche for killing the NCAA franchise.

Don't misrepresent my argument to make yourself feel better.

At the end of the day, the gaming industry used likenesses that did not belong to them to sell games to gamers who then played them.  The players exercised their rights to challenge this in court, they won, and the illegal practice stopped.  Since that ruling, gamers have drug Keller et al. through the mud because they're mad their game has been taken away.

Let's look at the culpability here:

Keller, et al: None

Gaming Industry: quite a lot (as proven in court)

Gamers: Some, especially for their reaction to Keller after the lawsuit

Gamers have zero leg to stand on in their gripe against Keller. Ending their years-long bitchfest against him would be a good idea (but I'm not holding my breath).

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Don't misrepresent my argument to make yourself feel better.

At the end of the day, the gaming industry used likenesses that did not belong to them to sell games to gamers who then played them.  The players exercised their rights to challenge this in court, they won, and the illegal practice stopped.  Since that ruling, gamers have drug Keller et al. through the mud because they're mad their game has been taken away.

Let's look at the culpability here:

Keller, et al: None

Gaming Industry: quite a lot (as proven in court)

Gamers: Some, especially for their reaction to Keller after the lawsuit

Gamers have zero leg to stand on in their gripe against Keller. Ending their years-long bitchfest against him would be a good idea (but I'm not holding my breath).

What I don't understand is why gamers aren't pissed at EA (the game developer)? They could have easily made the exact same game but with random players instead of likenesses of actual players. All the tradition and pagenatry of the actual schools, stadiums, bowl games, etc. could still have been used. Instead EA threw a hissy fit and stopped making the game instead.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What I don't understand is why gamers aren't pissed at EA (the game developer)? They could have easily made the exact same game but with random players instead of likenesses of actual players. All the tradition and pagenatry of the actual schools, stadiums, bowl games, etc. could still have been used. Instead EA threw a hissy fit and stopped making the game instead.

That would be a more rational response than ripping players, yes.