NFL Changes Nation Anthem Protocols

So this news came out tonight. Twitter has been something to see between the people applauding it and the people freaking out about it & calling for boycotts.

I'm sure we'll get a presidential tweet tomorrow because you just KNOW he can't stand to not be a part of it. Gotta get the focus back on him!

Good for Kaep. I heard his lawsuit against the NFL owners is going forward too. 

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

40658691_1837658249680864_59269461242030

I’ll never understand why the people who say kneeling during the anthem is anti military can’t even think back as far as Vietnam to understand how someone can be against an action taken by America, including by its military, but still support soldiers.

Its so annoying. But there seems to be an objection to pretty much any peaceful protest by people of color so it may just be an excuse for the real reason they are upset by the protests. 

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I’ll never understand why the people who say kneeling during the anthem is anti military can’t even think back as far as Vietnam to understand how someone can be against an action taken by America, including by its military, but still support soldiers.

if it was liberals cutting the nike swoosh they would be saying "snowflakes".    

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Is this the point where we've slipped well beyond any semblance of patriotism and it's just full-blown Jingoism at this point? Or have we blown past Jingoism and we're into the beginning stages of a full-blown Idiocracy?

And I'm making the assumption that the people doing this aren't racist, though we know full well there's a very racist undertone by those protesting the kneeling. 

• Plus1 3

19 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Is this the point where we've slipped well beyond any semblance of patriotism and it's just full-blown Jingoism at this point? Or have we blown past Jingoism and we're into the beginning stages of a full-blown Idiocracy?

And I'm making the assumption that the people doing this aren't racist, though we know full well there's a very racist undertone by those protesting the kneeling. 

To borrow from someone else who quoted Straight Outta Compton online, which I rather liked:

Ice Cube: [watching a crowd destroy their records] Ain't that some sh#t? Speak a little truth and people lose their minds.

Eazy-E: See, the truth is, they can do whatever they want with them. They bought them motherf###ers.

I mean, if people feel good about destroying their stuff/lighting it on fire/throwing it out, whatever. It's one thing to take a stand against something and not patronize it. It's another to just destroy your own stuff.

I think it's quite funny. Remember when people were chucking their Keurigs out of windows?

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yeah, I don't think a lot of the people against the Vietnam war "supported" the soldiers during that era... That's where this almost superfluous display of "patriotism" in support of the troops comes from. It's a reflex from what happened to the veterans who returned from Vietnam. The ones who were forgotten about, looked down on, or distrusted because "they" committed "atrocities". 

But the flag doesn't solely represent the military of this nation. It would be nice  if people could understand that.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I'd say most aren't racist but they definitely are either denying their priviledge or reacting negatively to the white guilt they feel. Then you have the full blown racists. I'd say there is only a small section of people that would have been upset had Kap been a white man protesting some kind of tax with his kneeling. That said the intense Jingoism just adds fuel to the fire. It really is an interesting social experiment seeing the reactions. Alot of factors at play without a doubt.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Yeah, I don't think a lot of the people against the Vietnam war "supported" the soldiers during that era... That's where this almost superfluous display of "patriotism" in support of the troops comes from. It's a reflex from what happened to the veterans who returned from Vietnam. The ones who were forgotten about, looked down on, or distrusted because "they" committed "atrocities". 

But the flag doesn't solely represent the military of this nation. It would be nice  if people could understand that.

Yeah....I don't think I would use the Vietnam war as a good example of protesters still supporting the troops.  Something about spitting on troops coming back leads me to believe they weren't really supporting them.

And, your comment about the flag and who it represents is a very frustrating thing in our society right now.  The flag represents everyone.  Not just the military.  

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, commando said:

is there a master list somewhere of all the things trumpers can't use, buy, or wear anymore?  or must take sledgehammers to?

starbucks, Nike, Harley Davidson, nordstroms, keurig....what else?

edit to add the NFL

I remember seeing some videos of some rubes blowing up their Yeti Coolers after Yeti ended some partnership with the NRA. 

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

My uncle served in Vietnam, and said he was spit on, cursed at, and had bags of urine thrown at him...simply because he had been "over there". A vast number of people showed that they did not support the soldiers themselves...

1 hour ago, commando said:

is there a master list somewhere of all the things trumpers can't use, buy, or wear anymore?  or must take sledgehammers to?

starbucks, Nike, Harley Davidson, nordstroms, keurig....what else?

edit to add the NFL

I think it would be easier at this point to list all of the companies Trump supporters *can* patronize. :dunno