Frost: "We've Gotta Fix Everything"

Speaking Monday at Big Ten media days, Frost outlined an approach to modernize Nebraska football while using many of the same principles that helped the Cornhuskers win three national titles in the 1990s, the last of which he served as the team's quarterback.

"[Former Nebraska coach Tom] Osborne had the formula figured out," Frost said. "Nebraska stood for a lot of things when it was great. It was an organization of integrity and character and unity across the whole state. ... The program used to reflect the people of the state. Nebraska's best asset is its people. They're hard-working, blue-collar people that depend on each other. That's the way that we're going to build it to try to make it have sustained success."

Frost, who last fall coached UCF to an undefeated season and a Peach Bowl championship, described Osborne as his "hero" in coaching, saying he continues to lean on his former coach for advice. He wants to restore Nebraska's walk-on tradition and enhance areas like strength and conditioning, nutrition and academic support.

"We've gotta fix everything," Frost said. "We've gotta fix the talent, we've gotta fix the depth, keep adding to what we have."

ESPN

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

This is unrelated but the 2nd article at that link about the advent of the wishbone offense is a really good read.

I have coached a long ass time and been horrible at it...but there is nothing harder than coaching offense and nothing harder than coaching bone/option offense.  I don't know how those guys do it.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I have coached a long ass time and been horrible at it...but there is nothing harder than coaching offense and nothing harder than coaching bone/option offense.  I don't know how those guys do it.

Yeah, and that’s after somebody else figured it all out...... Did you read that story? I find it amazing that those guys set out on purpose to create a new run based offense and developed the wishbone from scratch and had really good success almost immediately. There’s coaching and then there’s that kind of innovation.

18 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Yeah, and that’s after somebody else figured it all out...... Did you read that story? I find it amazing that those guys set out on purpose to create a new run based offense and developed the wishbone from scratch and had really good success almost immediately. There’s coaching and then there’s that kind of innovation.

That reminds me of a good football book called 'The Perfect Pass.' It's about the Air Raid, how Hal Mumme developed it, and how Mike Leach got into football. Great story about innovation and persistence in the face of adversity. 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...

Just want to remind everybody of this thread, and this quote by SF (in the OP above):
 "We've gotta fix everything," Frost said. "We've gotta fix the talent, we've gotta fix the depth, keep adding to what we have."

That was written in late July. It is now late September. Did you think that just starting to play football games was going magically fix THOSE issues?
I did too, but it was DUMB to think that.

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Just want to remind everybody of this thread, and this quote by SF (in the OP above):

That was written in late July. It is now late September. Did you think that just starting to play football games was going magically fix THOSE issues?

+1.

I didn't expect our offense to struggle this much because I really felt like Frost's system had some high-percentage ways of getting the ball to Morgan, Spielman, and Lindsay in space. On defense I expected to essentially see more or less a repeat of last season.

The best part of the things Frost said after the game last night about knowing what it takes to be great is the he does actually know what it takes. 

It'll happen.

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Deep down, i suspected it would be a super ugly season.  I didn't want to believe it though.  Everything seemed to go perfectly in the off season -- guys were working out harder/better than ever (and for once, I believed them, and still do), best strength coach, best nutrition guy there is, several recruiting wins on can't miss instant impact players, and a coach of the year who would CERTAINly improve this team instantly, from a barely 4 win to a 7 win team, just by STARTING to do the right things. 

And then the dominoes started falling.  Gebbia leaving, Akron canceled, Martinez' injury, etc, created this alternate universe snowball, that we keep packing snow onto ourselves with penalties and poor play at times.

That said, other than the Michigan game, they were all winnable for us.  We've had the talent and/or schemes to beat every other team we've faced.  I think that is going to bode well for the future.  It just won't be the NEAR future.

I think we sort of forget how bad last year was. Really it took last second luck to win against Arkansas State and Purdue last year. A few things went our way that hasn't been the case this year. Illinois and Rutgers were good wins, but those teams were really bad and we may have been able to beat those teams with this team too. Last year's team gets beat by Colorado and likely loses worst to Purdue. 0-4 is bad and Frost needs to get to work and stuff and personally I do see some improvement. We just need a couple balls to bounce our way.