Official Depth Chart

7 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I can't understand all the constant transfer and quit talk for so many non-starters who aren't crowned THE starter.   Why would Gebbia up and leave as a freshman when he's practically co-number one.   There is no "OR' which is abit odd I guess unless the coaches were not truth telling in all the suspense leading up to the depth chart release.  However, even a sprained ankle puts Gebbia on the field.   It is a rare season that we don't need atleast 2 and sometimes 3 QBs.  

Are you having a specific discussion with someone in this thread?

Nobody's talking about Gebbia leaving.

Frost said Friday that we'll "need both guys" this season, but the general consensus seems to be that there will be no plan of rotating the two guys. Martinez is the guy. Gebbia is the backup. 

Verduzco said back in the spring he doesn't play two guys, he goes with one.

5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I can't understand all the constant transfer and quit talk for so many non-starters who aren't crowned THE starter.   Why would Gebbia up and leave as a freshman when he's practically co-number one.   There is no "OR' which is abit odd I guess unless the coaches were not truth telling in all the suspense leading up to the depth chart release.  However, even a sprained ankle puts Gebbia on the field.   It is a rare season that we don't need atleast 2 and sometimes 3 QBs.  

He won't leave. He will see the field this year. But if Martinez balls out this year I could see him moving on in the off season, which would be unfortunate. 

With that said, I don't think the race is fully over. Going to be a fun season 

The receivers will also move around a lot. Morgan could be in the slot, Lindsey could be in the back field, Washington could be outside, receivers function as tight ends, tight ends as h-backs......

With the way this staff treats players as almost positionless on both sides of the ball, a depth chart is dubious at best. Still it means game week is here!

Great to see the depth chart out.  From all the comments throughout the spring and fall about points, evaluations and interviews/meetings with the players it is probably the most transparent chart/decision process the players have seen (IMHO).  Most impressed with Oz.  He must have worked his butt off to get the shot. Some surprises as some have mentioned, but could be injuries, internal issues etc......In year 1, to start a true Freshman, who missed his senior year is one hell of a gutsy call.

There is still tons of football to play.  Minimum of 13 games (we're going bowling!).  A lot of "or" to mean means guys are neck and neck and can't separate until games are played. Also, having watched UCF last year, they play a lot of guys.  First snaps, might be first on the field, but they rotate so much your top 2 are interchangeable.....

• Plus1 3
Just now, Moiraine said:

Ya. Also a little surprised (even though we heard something a few days ago) that Carlos Davis isn't a lock for a starting position.

Yeah, that is where I was going next about Davis. But they have mentioned that the DL has been fluid. Nobody dominating with players taking turns in who is playing the best.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ya. Also a little surprised (even though we heard something a few days ago) that Carlos Davis isn't a lock for a starting position.

From the sound of it, starter may be a very relative term on that d-line this year. What I'm curious on is if we ever see a combination like Stille/Mick/Carlos. 

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Great to see the depth chart out.  From all the comments throughout the spring and fall about points, evaluations and interviews/meetings with the players it is probably the most transparent chart/decision process the players have seen (IMHO).  Most impressed with Oz.  He must have worked his butt off to get the shot. Some surprises as some have mentioned, but could be injuries, internal issues etc......In year 1, to start a true Freshman, who missed his senior year is one hell of a gutsy call.

There is still tons of football to play.  Minimum of 13 games (we're going bowling!).  A lot of "or" to mean means guys are neck and neck and can't separate until games are played. Also, having watched UCF last year, they play a lot of guys.  First snaps, might be first on the field, but they rotate so much your top 2 are interchangeable.....

I mentioned it in another topic somewhere, but I recently watched Frost's first game at UCF and (IIRC) they played 4 different RBs in the first 9 plays.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Lyons in the Sea of Red. said:

He won't leave. He will see the field this year. But if Martinez balls out this year I could see him moving on in the off season, which would be unfortunate. 

With that said, I don't think the race is fully over. Going to be a fun season 

Yeah I'm not concerned with him leaving this season, but if AM blows up like other Frost QBs of the past, then I half expect him to move on at the end on the year.

At this time next season Frost will have 3 of "his guys" in the QB room, so unless Gebbia earns some real stripes on gamedays this season, I think it will be tough for him to ever be higher than 2nd on the chart. Can't fault him if he wants to play, I'm super glad to have him here though, hope he battles through it.

20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They could very well have been telling the truth but QB is not the same as the other positions. Most people believe you need to get into a rhythm at that position, not switch back and forth. Frost said himself this week he wants 1 QB because he was a QB himself and it would have made it hard to get into a flow.

Given his comments it’s not odd at all for there not to he an OR.

Hopefully, things go well enough against teams like Akron, Troy, Illinois, etc. that they are able to get Gebbia a series late in the 2nd quarter and the bulk of the 4th quarter.  With freshmen being your 1st and 2nd string QBs you really need to get both some experience when you are able.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Most impressed with Oz.  He must have worked his butt off to get the shot.

I'm very hopeful that this is a different Ozigbo. However, who else would have that spot? Guys like Washington and Jones have to get up to speed. Any of the rest of the group, ie the other returners, would have surprised us even more than Ozibo. So, I'm hopeful he's a new man and this isn't a default type positioning.

• Plus1 2