Hurricane Florence could add to list of possible NU Game 12 opponents

cheekygeek

East Carolina would be a decent opponent, IMHO. They beat North Carolina (Week One this season) and Nebraska would be a big name/TV draw for their program to help replace Virginia Tech, which was also an away game. In the East Carolina AD's mind, Nebraska might look like an easier opponent than the #13 ranked Hokies. (In addition to potentially being a big payday for their program).

They are also from Scott Frost's old UCF division, so our staff would be familiar with them (and to some extent, them familiar with Frost's offense/Chinander's defense). We would be their most distant opponent on the year (which is currently Tulane at 950 miles), since it is more like 1350 from Greenville, NC to Lincoln.

This matchup makes a lot of sense.

• Plus1 1

No to UCF for any number of reasons including the absolute massive media circus that would be created plus they are probably a better team at this point so why schedule what could likely be another loss. Plus, the dynamic of Frost & staff going up against UCF the year after leaving would be unwelcome for all of them I'm sure.

And no to the Dec. date. That is the first week of full recruiting before the early signing day. I'd much rather the staff be out on the road recruiting. Try to get a game on Oct. 27 even if it does kill the bye week before OSU. Looking at their their talent level this year I don't think an extra is going to help us much.

Sure. Give us UCF, why not? They come here and win, it's at least a semi proud moment for our coach and they get a bit of a happy ending since we stole their money maker.  We win, well that pretty much ends that Cinderella story in it's tracks.  This season and the outcome are mostly irrelevant, yeah 9 wins would be great, but I'd rather run this team through a gauntlet and have as hard nosed of a team next year as humanly possible.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

As I saw on Twitter today, the Dallas Cowboys have an off week on October 27.  I would say they have about the same chance of playing a game in Lincoln that weekend as UCF does.

That wouldn't be fair, beating an FCS level team only counts as half a win towards bowl eligibility.

• Plus1 2

If I was a betting man, I'd say that Nebraska will play Tennessee State Oct. 27. Tennessee State is really bad and would almost certainly be the worst team Nebraska has played since Idaho State in 2012.

That may seem dirty or distasteful, but Nebraska is going to schedule a win. If not an FCS team, then ECU would probably work too. It won't be UCF. Zero chance this year. Maybe in 2022 when all the players Frost recruited are gone.

With that in mind, here are all scheduled Division I games for the affected states. (All times Eastern, and all games slated for Saturday unless otherwise noted.)

South Carolina

• Colgate at Furman — 1 p.m.
  • Georgia Southern at No. 2 Clemson — 3:30 p.m.
  • North Carolina Central at South Carolina State — 6 p.m. Rescheduled for Nov. 24
  • Charleston Southern at The Citadel — 6 p.m. Rescheduled for Nov. 29
  • Campbell at Coastal Carolina — 7 p.m. Moved to 2 p.m. Wednesday at Campbell
  • Stetson at Presbyterian — 7 p.m.
  • Marshall at South Carolina — 7:30 p.m.

North Carolina

• Boston College at Wake Forest — 7:30 p.m. Thursday Moved up to 5:30 p.m., will still be televised by ESPN
  • No. 18 UCF at North Carolina — 12 p.m. Game cancelled; possible makeup remains TBD
  • No. 14 West Virginia at NC State — 3:30 p.m. Game cancelled; possible rematch or new game with other opponent(s) remains TBD
  • Southern Miss at Appalachian State — 3:30 p.m.
  • Old Dominion at Charlotte — 6 p.m.
  • Western Carolina at Gardner-Webb — 6 p.m.
  • Winston Salem State at Elizabeth City State — Game cancelled; possible rescheduling TBD
  • Benedict at Fayetteville State — Permanently cancelled
  • Chowan at Shaw — Game cancelled
  • UNC-Pembroke at Catawba — Permanently cancelled
  • Guilford at Davidson — 7 p.m. Moved to Thursday at 7 p.m.
  • UNC-Pembroke at Catawba College — 7 p.m. Permanently cancelled

Duke’s game at Baylor on Saturday is “expected to be played as scheduled” according to the Duke Chronicle.

Virginia

• East Carolina at No. 13 Virginia Tech — 12:20 p.m. Game will not be played; possible rescheduling remains TBD
  • Maryville at Washington & Lee — 1 p.m. Postponed; likely rescheduled to Sept. 22
  • East Tennessee State at VMI — 1:30 p.m.
  • St. Francis at Richmond — 2 p.m. Moved to 5 p.m. Thursday at St. Francis
  • Ohio at Virginia — 3:30 p.m. Moved to 4:30 p.m. in at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville
  • Norfolk State at Liberty — 6 p.m. Rescheduled for Dec. 1
  • Ferrum College at Averett — Postponed; makeup TBD
  • Elon at William & Mary — 6 p.m. Will not be played this weekend; rescheduled to a TBD date
  • Emory & Henry at Methodist — Permanently cancelled
  • Catholic at Randolph-Macon — Rescheduled to 7 p.m. Wednesday
  • New England at Hampden-Sydney — Permanently cancelled
  • Robert Morris at James Madison — 6 p.m. Moved to 7 p.m. on Thursday
  • Tennessee State at Hampton — 6 p.m. Game cancelled; will not be rescheduled

•  
  • Plus1 2