Offensive line play

lo country

2 hours ago, Whistlepig said:

when I look at that clip- Farmer looks about as athletic as an arthritic tree sloth- almost defies gravity in how slow he falls- in contrast the UCF clip shows lineman making contact and looking quick

I had the same thought (although I'm not clever enough to come up with arthritic tree sloth +1) which is really surprising given his wrestling background.  Other than the lack of athleticism by our OL, the UCF players seem to delay slightly and dropping back to let the DL attack before committing to the block.  You kind of need to know which direction the DL is going, otherwise you'll end up diving for air.  I wouldn't be surprised if the UCF OL made similar mistakes in year 1 so it's likely we have a coach that can correct this.

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually,  looking at the original clip, the block didn’t work in large part because the defensive lind was stunting. 

Looks like 47 goes inside between Farniok and Farmer.  Their DT sees the jumble and goes left.  Both Farniok and Farmer fail to hit anything, but each other.  Not sure if they even saw the guys.  Looks like Farmer at least took a proper angle.

Might be because they scouted us a little better than we scouted them.  Brown is in year 4, Frost in game 2.  Brown has his kids, full scheme available and his kids are all in and proficient in it.  I'm assuming we have honestly installed our complete O, but unsure how proficient we are and how much Bunch was actually running.

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

Looks like 47 goes inside between Farniok and Farmer.  Their DT sees the jumble and goes left.  Both Farniok and Farmer fail to hit anything, but each other.  Not sure if they even saw the guys.  Looks like Farmer at least took a proper angle.

Might be because they scouted us a little better than we scouted them.  Brown is in year 4, Frost in game 2.  Brown has his kids, full scheme available and his kids are all in and proficient in it.  I'm assuming we have honestly installed our complete O, but unsure how proficient we are and how much Bunch was actually running.

Our offense was not anywhere near completely installed on saturday.  We only saw the playbook for about 4 series in the 3rd and 4th quarter, everything else was design plays.  I could probably count on 1 hand the number of play-actions and post snap RPOs for the whole game.  

2 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Our offense was not anywhere near completely installed on saturday.  We only saw the playbook for about 4 series in the 3rd and 4th quarter, everything else was design plays.  I could probably count on 1 hand the number of play-actions and post snap RPOs for the whole game.  

I saw no creativity.  Looked like very safe hand offs for a large part of the game.  We will need much more to keep competitive with Michigan.  Or the D needs to play lights out....

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

I saw no creativity.  Looked like very safe hand offs for a large part of the game.  We will need much more to keep competitive with Michigan.  Or the D needs to play lights out....

Ganz is the best handeroffer I ever saw.... Bunch may be the worst. That’s something he can improve on right now. Joe was master of the bootleg.

5 hours ago, Whistlepig said:

I heard that Farmer was "benched" in the 4th Qtr and left the field as a result of being benched- it was also assumed that what SF said about players buying in or leaving was sort of aimed at him- all hear-say and speculation, but I'm wondering if Farmer did leave the field as a result of being benched 

There was a sideline shot of him walking by the benches. I thought maybe he was being rested but wondered why at that moment.

7 hours ago, lo country said:

This might explain part of our problems.....I'm pretty sure this wasn't taught by the staff.  Maybe a miscue?  Complete whiff?  Looks like the left side did the same, with better results....

Whether you're a fan of cut blocking, or not, it's being taught by this staff. 

One problem with teaching it is, coaches almost never allow their O linemen to practice it against the D-line for fear of taking out your own teammates knee.  That does make it more challenging to prefect in practice.

Given the risk a lot of people are not a fan of cut blocking and question why it's allowed.  It is legal by rule but when opposing players and coaches watch the film and see cut blocking they may feel justified in a little "special" treatment in response.  You want to dive at our knees?  Well two can play that game.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1