The Angry Violent Right

19 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Careful with the use of "both sides". I was chastised heavily for even thinking there might be a "both sides" issue.

Yes, there are people on the left side of the political spectrum that are causing problems also. Also people in the middle. Its not a good time in this country as we are so divided as a country. Im truly afraid Biden is not the man to bring us together especially during this economic downturn. I keep saying we need someone like FDR (universally loved as he won election 4x and 49 states in his last election) for this unprecendented time of economic hardship and also political diviseness, but we got Biden instead.

• Plus1 3

13 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Im truly afraid Biden is not the man to bring us together especially during this economic downturn.

Who do you think would have been better from the group on the Democrat's stage?  Bernie would NOT have brought the country together.  I respect his passion for his issues and actually agree with a some of them.  But, right now, we need a President whose priority is to, yes, make the country better for everyone.  But, at the same time, calm the country down and bring everyone together.  I see Biden as someone who has the personality to do that.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Yes, there are people on the left side of the political spectrum that are causing problems also. Also people in the middle. Its not a good time in this country as we are so divided as a country. Im truly afraid Biden is not the man to bring us together especially during this economic downturn. I keep saying we need someone like FDR (universally loved as he won election 4x and 49 states in his last election) for this unprecendented time of economic hardship and also political diviseness, but we got Biden instead.

No one is going to be able to "bring us together," when half the populace gets their information from news sources that have gone to the supreme court to defend their right to lie to the public as "freedom of speech," we also won't have a world war to solidify the nation around a common cause. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Who do you think would have been better from the group on the Democrat's stage?  Bernie would NOT have brought the country together.  I respect his passion for his issues and actually agree with a some of them.  But, right now, we need a President whose priority is to, yes, make the country better for everyone.  But, at the same time, calm the country down and bring everyone together.  I see Biden as someone who has the personality to do that.

What makes me nervous is the fact the the personalities of so many Americans are so jacked up that the President's personality won't matter.

It is a very very vocal group of minority partisans that are taking this country down.  And none of these people will be happy until their guy/girl is in office.

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

What makes me nervous is the fact the the personalities of so many Americans are so jacked up that the President's personality won't matter.

It is a very very vocal group of minority partisans that are taking this country down.  And none of these people will be happy until their guy/girl is in office.

So, you're saying nobody can bring the country together because we are so divided.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you're saying nobody can bring the country together because we are so divided.

Not in the current 2-party system.  

1/4 of the nation absolutely is disgusted by another 1/4 of the nation.  And 1/2 of us are disgusted that we need to pick between candidates that are nominated by these groups.

Biden will "satisfy" the quiet 50% enough that they won't have hand marks on their foreheads from face-palming, and a large chunk of the far-left 25%: but he has no chance to win over 25% of the USA.  And they will be very vocal.

No President will ever have 100% support, I understand that.  But the people in the middle aren't the problem.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

it will be tough to overcome the agitators on both sides.   i know the far right better since i used to listen to them.  people like Rush and the talking heads at fox news and OAN.  i am not sure of the names on the far left since i have mostly tuned them out but i am sure others can state their names.  i know i have seen plenty of far left hate directed at Joe as well as far right.  the people who follow those agitators will not be satisfied unless it is their guy (or gal)  in office.  

Just now, funhusker said:

Not in the current 2-party system.  

1/4 of the nation absolutely is disgusted by another 1/4 of the nation.  And 1/2 of us are disgusted that we need to pick between candidates that are nominated by these groups.

Biden will "satisfy" the quiet 50%, and a large chunk of the far-left 25%: but he has no chance to win over 25% of the USA.  And they will be very vocal.

In my opinion, the radical sides have always been there.  But, we have people like Trump who have lived off of them, fanned those flames and profited from it...meanwhile giving legitimacy to the extremes.  This empowers those people to believe they can do whatever they want....including violence because they are "fighting for the cause".  

If we have a center focused administration, hopefully that person can give more legitimacy to us in the middle and less to the extremes.  If that person criticizes the bad actions on both sides and grows the middle, I feel we can get back to some form of normalcy.  

Now, I don't know if Biden is that person or not.  I think there were several middle of the road people on that stage and he was one of them.  I'm glad America gave him a shot to do it.  At least it gives us a chance.

Unfortunately, that will take them cracking down on the extremes that cause problems.  That might seem like things are getting worse before they get better.  But, those people need to realize THEY don't rule this country and THEY can't just disrupt and cause major problems in the country just because their mad that their guy isn't in office.

So, it might feel like it's getting worse before it gets better.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

In my opinion, the radical sides have always been there.  But, we have people like Trump who have lived off of them, fanned those flames and profited from it...meanwhile giving legitimacy to the extremes.  This empowers those people to believe they can do whatever they want....including violence because they are "fighting for the cause".  

If we have a center focused administration, hopefully that person can give more legitimacy to us in the middle and less to the extremes.  If that person criticizes the bad actions on both sides and grows the middle, I feel we can get back to some form of normalcy.  

Now, I don't know if Biden is that person or not.  I think there were several middle of the road people on that stage and he was one of them.  I'm glad America gave him a shot to do it.  At least it gives us a chance.

Unfortunately, that will take them cracking down on the extremes that cause problems.  That might seem like things are getting worse before they get better.  But, those people need to realize THEY don't rule this country and THEY can't just disrupt and cause major problems in the country just because their mad that their guy isn't in office.

So, it might feel like it's getting worse before it gets better.

The problem is that the two party system, and especially our closed party primary systems exaggerate the voices of the extremes. This is why we need open, ranked choice primaries, and we need to somehow voice that primaries are just as important as the general to ensure that the "most passionate quarters" of the electorate do not drown out the the commonsense half. 

• Plus1 5

33 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

The problem is that the two party system, and especially our closed party primary systems exaggerate the voices of the extremes. This is why we need open, ranked choice primaries, and we need to somehow voice that primaries are just as important as the general to ensure that the "most passionate quarters" of the electorate do not drown out the the commonsense half. 

Completely agree with this.  But, the extremes are going to be against this because it gives power to people who are "not as passionate" as they are.

So, we have to somehow get back to some form of normalcy first....then have these discussions as to how we don't allow the extremes to get the attitudes they have now again.

10 minutes ago, Redux said:

Neither do I.  Only sucks when my ballot is half missing.

Agree 100%.

I know in a lot of states, Independents can request a ballot of their choice (R or D).  Can a state make it a law to allow Independents to access both in the same year?  Thus allowing Independents to vote in both primaries.