Next year addition and subtraction

19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Vedral wasn't too impressive in the spring game but for some reason I just expect him to end up as #2 or #3 ahead of Bunch next season now that he's eligible to play. I've heard both Frost and Verduzco saying they want to get him reps this season. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but i would think they'd want to get Bunch more reps if they think he's going to be #2 long term. It could also just be that the new redshirt rule means they see it as an opportunity to get reps for 3 quarterbacks and Bunch has already played in 6+ quarters.

I'm really hoping Lamar keeps doing well. I wasn't too hard on him last season but I definitely was the first few games this season. But I didn't really notice him much the last 2 games which was a big improvement.

I was happy Pickering got to kick a field goal against Minnesota (and also didn't miss any extra points).

They need to fix the kicking issue ASAP. We have been very fortunate for a very long time in that area and boy do you notice it when it goes away. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

They need to fix the kicking issue ASAP. We have been very fortunate for a very long time in that area and boy do you notice it when it goes away. 

No, we don't. We have a Freshman kicker and this is the year he can get his feet wet in big boy D1 football. He is the best we have and next year I bet he makes some strides and hits more FG's. I want to give him a chance and it can be difficult to come in right away in tough environments and just knock em all in. Heck, NFL dudes miss a few from time to time. My point is as of now he will be number one until someone better takes his spot. I don't see that happening in the near future. Barrett did not miss last game if I am not mistaken so that is a step in the right direction.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

No, we don't. We have a Freshman kicker and this is the year he can get his feet wet in big boy D1 football. He is the best we have and next year I bet he makes some strides and hits more FG's. I want to give him a chance and it can be difficult to come in right away in tough environments and just knock em all in. Heck, NFL dudes miss a few from time to time. My point is as of now he will be number one until someone better takes his spot. I don't see that happening in the near future. Barrett did not miss last game if I am not mistaken so that is a step in the right direction.

I’m all for giving him a chance but at the same time they should bring other people in for a look if possible. His performance has been bad enough over the course of the year to at least warrant some competition for the kicking job going forward. Obviously no change is going to be made before the end of the year so he has plenty of time to prove himself. 

33 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I’m all for giving him a chance but at the same time they should bring other people in for a look if possible. His performance has been bad enough over the course of the year to at least warrant some competition for the kicking job going forward. Obviously no change is going to be made before the end of the year so he has plenty of time to prove himself. 

You want them to add another scholarship kicker to the mix?  They already have a walk-on committed for 2019.  

13 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

Drew Brown struggled his freshman season and he got it together.  I think with kickers, it's just a matter of getting your nerves under control and having confidence.  This should come with experience.  Pickering has the talent, but he's also just a freshman.  I expect him to be solid in the future.

I the punting situation is the bigger issue.  Armstrong is doing much better, but we have had way too many shanks over the last couple of seasons.

52 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

Drew Brown struggled his freshman season and he got it together.  I think with kickers, it's just a matter of getting your nerves under control and having confidence.  This should come with experience.  Pickering has the talent, but he's also just a freshman.  I expect him to be solid in the future.

I the punting situation is the bigger issue.  Armstrong is doing much better, but we have had way too many shanks over the last couple of seasons.

I remember PSU had a kicker that missed like 6 field goals that cost them a close game. He became a reliable kicker. Having a true freshman as kicker isn’t ideal.

Pickering has definitely struggled at times this year, and that is expected of a true freshman kicker.  I think Frost will be able to commit more time in reviewing the kicker competition for 2019.  There is Cole Frohm as a walk-on from Burke, and the kid from Lincoln SW who has committed to be a walk-on in the 2019 class.

It will be interesting to see how Frost uses scholarships for kickers going forward.  I expect him to bring in kickers thru the walk-on process, and then award scholarships when those kickers win the competition.  

• Plus1 1

On 10/24/2018 at 9:04 PM, Xmas32 said:

I too, saw this and was wondering....hmmmm what do we have here.  Turns out, dude is a full blown walk-on.  Love those home game expanded rosters!

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211735987&DB_OEM_ID=100&Q_SEASON=2018

I think it's cool he passed up lower level scholarship opportunities to walk on at Nebraska.  Good man. 

• Plus1 2