1,000 Yard Rusher Watch

1,000 YARD RUSHER  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who will go over 1,000 yards rushing this year?

• Devine Ozigbo
    • Adrian Martinez
    • Both pass 1,000 yards
    • Neither passes 1,000 yards

This poll is closed to new votes

On 10/22/2018 at 10:35 PM, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't know, T-Magic always had the rushing game of his season vs. Mich. St.

idk why i feel like i see this so often but its weird. 

Taylor only played Michigan State twice. The first time he ran for 23 yards. The second time he ran for 205. 

• Plus1 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:35 PM, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't know, T-Magic always had the rushing game of his 2012 season vs. Mich. St. 

FIFY

7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Taylor only played Michigan State twice. The first time he ran for 23 yards. The second time he ran for 205. 

Least he wasn't completely wrong 

As much as I'd like to see both reach the mark, I think only Oz gets there

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I actually like that about him and think it’s a good sign. I think some dual threats who prefer to take off whenever it’s available are more likely to miss open receivers.

+1.

We're familiar with quarterbacks who probably had more trust in their legs - Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong Jr. When AM's story is finally written at Nebraska, I'd rather read one about a player whose passing game acumen is what really made the difference in this offense. Fortunately for us, his athleticism is still fairly exceptional for a quarterback completing 66% of his passes.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

FIFY

Least he wasn't completely wrong 

As much as I'd like to see both reach the mark, I think only Oz gets there

Plus his breakout rushing game each year in his first three years were against state universities

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I actually like that about him and think it’s a good sign. I think some dual threats who prefer to take off whenever it’s available are more likely to miss open receivers.

Me too. That's why I think that his stubbornness to stick with the play under extreme duress, with everything swirling around him, will pay big dividends the next several years. I believe Nebraska hit home runs with Maurice Washington and Adrian Martinez. Mo is pretty fiery and exceptionally talented and Adrian is just so calm, cool and calculating. They are true freshmen playing with poise beyond their experience. 

On 10/23/2018 at 8:14 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought the sweet passing, statue QB was going to open up the run game in 2017 though!!!

Nebraska is still passing 30 - 40 times a game, and the run game has benefitted.

It's not about being a statue, it's about completing 66% of your passes in a high-efficiency West Coast offense.

Neither Tanner Lee or Tommy Armstrong had the right skillset. It's possible that guys like Adrian Martinez are rare. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nebraska is still passing 30 - 40 times a game, and the run game has benefitted.

It's not about being a statue, it's about completing 66% of your passes in a high-efficiency West Coast offense.

Neither Tanner Lee or Tommy Armstrong had the right skillset. It's possible that guys like Adrian Martinez are rare. 

That and good play design and play calling. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I understand NU is still passing plenty.  I don't have an issue with it.  My comment (yes, it's snarky) is related to all the fans who said that Tanner Lee (or any other statue QB recruited by Riley) was going to open up the running game with their awesome passing ability.  It's a misguided philosophy in this day of college football.  Frost's offense does a much better job of opening up the run game with it's design, and having a dual-threat QB.  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand NU is still passing plenty.  I don't have an issue with it.  My comment (yes, it's snarky) is related to all the fans who said that Tanner Lee (or any other statue QB recruited by Riley) was going to open up the running game with their awesome passing ability.  It's a misguided philosophy in this day of college football.  Frost's offense does a much better job of opening up the run game with it's design, and having a dual-threat QB.  

Yes so we would never recruit a guy lile Trevor Lawrence. Your obsession with this is ridiculous. Tanner Lee was a bad QB. Good QB play, whether it be a dual threat or 'statue' QB, will lead to a more productive run game if utilized correctly. Trevor Lawrence running our offense, snapping quick throws to the edges opens up interior running lanes just like AM threat of running holds DEs and allows running lanes. Obviously the best option is having a guy like we have now. But if you can't have both, I'll take the arm over legs in this offense.

22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just saying the problem isn't a "statue" QB, because most great passing QBs know how to scramble and use footwork to buy them time. They also know how to get the ball to better runners. An accurate passer who can check down receivers and throw the safe outlet passes to both sides of the field absolutely opens up the running game. Tanner Lee actually floated those safe outlet passes, and more than a few turned into pick sixes. Dude looked good in practice and at prestigious summer QB camps, but turned out to be a total bust. 

Who doesn't love a dual-threat QB?  But in this day of college football, he has to be a damn good passer and not just a playground baller.  Tommy Armstrong was close, and believe it or not, Langsdorf and Beck were running plays and schemes not all that different from Frost. I think Armstrong frustrated them the way he would have frustrated Frost. Adrian Martinez appears to be that much better for the system. 

For several years now, fans have complained that Nebraska had abandoned the run, simply because we were passing more. They blamed the WCO and said it was a system that would never work at Nebraska. But with the right pieces, it does. Frost has taken a lot of the same heat for his play-calling, but I think he's making good calls. It all works better when your defense isn't giving up 37 points a game.

I think Tanner Lee was a pretty good quarterback that suffered from poor scheme, a poor OL and poor luck. 

WCO can work, sure. Does work, even. But the data at this point paints a very clear picture. WCO needs very particular pieces and abilities to even hope to work well (let alone great). Alabama is a perfect example. They won championships with average to good quarterbacks in a pro-style offense, but now they've fully transitioned into a zone-read spread offense with a game changer quarterback and they're playing at a demigod videogame level.

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I think Tanner Lee was a pretty good quarterback that suffered from poor scheme, a poor OL and poor luck. 

WCO can work, sure. Does work, even. But the data at this point paints a very clear picture. WCO needs very particular pieces and abilities to even hope to work well (let alone great). Alabama is a perfect example. They won championships with average to good quarterbacks in a pro-style offense, but now they've fully transitioned into a zone-read spread offense with a game changer quarterback and they're playing at a demigod videogame level.

Riley's offense might work overall (in some years), but it doesn't work well in the straight, RB run-game.  That is my point.  His o-line coach preached pass protection over run-blocking, Riley prefers not having his QB involved in the run game, and Riley/Langsdorf never really committed to calling run-plays when the team fell behind or the team had limited success running the ball early in the game.  With Frost and his scheme, he is committed to the run game (even when behind), he utilizes a mobile QB to make teams play 11 on 11, and the pass game complements his run game.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yes so we would never recruit a guy lile Trevor Lawrence. Your obsession with this is ridiculous. Tanner Lee was a bad QB. Good QB play, whether it be a dual threat or 'statue' QB, will lead to a more productive run game if utilized correctly. Trevor Lawrence running our offense, snapping quick throws to the edges opens up interior running lanes just like AM threat of running holds DEs and allows running lanes. Obviously the best option is having a guy like we have now. But if you can't have both, I'll take the arm over legs in this offense.

Funny that you think that way, because Frost and Verduzco seem to have a different opinion in the QB's they are recruiting for '19 and '20.  They seem to be athletes first, and then Frost and Verduzco will then teach them the passing game.

16 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Totally agree with the bottom paragraph - can and does work. The two strategies Nebraska has tried to make it work here have been... poor... for a variety of reasons, of course.

As for Lee, "pretty good" is certainly relative and can mean something different to everyone. He was a 55% career passer with a 46:37 TD/INT ratio. I believe he would've need a much better team around him if he was going to do well, and even then, he would've made some head-scratching mistakes.