seaofred92

Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

And layups...  We are the 2nd worse in the nation right now at the rim.

I could have honestly put about ten things in there and the joke would work... and that is the problem..

• Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I supported Miles for a long time and was never that bad! :D

tenor.gif?itemid=5466854

• Haha 1

Tim Miles main reason for his demise is kids leaving the program. It happens more often now in basketball, but man there have been a ton for him. I didn't include Jake Hammond, Jack McVeigh, Nathan Hawkins or Nick Fuller as they weren't B10 caliber kids. 

Terran Petteway - for some reason thought he would get drafted and didn't 

Walter Pitchford - left/quit after Jr year 

Deverell Biggs - transferred. Avg 12 ppg at Tx Southern 

Tarin Smith - transferred. Avg 8 ppg at Uconn this year 

Andrew White - transferred. Avg 19 ppg and 5 reb for Syracuse. All-ACC player 

Michael Jacobson - transferred. Avg 12 ppg and 6 reb for Iowa State this year 

Ed Morrow - transferred. Avg 5 ppg and 4 reb for Marquette this year. Avg 9 ppg and 8 rpg for us as a soph 

Bakari Evelyn - transferred. Avg 11 ppg at Valpo his two years there 

Jordy Tshimanga - transferred. Avg 5 ppg and 4 reb for us

Jeriah Horne - transferred. Avg 9 ppg 4 reb for Tulsa this year. Shooting 41% from 3P

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Tim Miles main reason for his demise is kids leaving the program. It happens more often now in basketball, but man there have been a ton for him. I didn't include Jake Hammond, Jack McVeigh, Nathan Hawkins or Nick Fuller as they weren't B10 caliber kids. 

Ed Morrow - transferred. Avg 5 ppg and 4 reb for Marquette this year. Avg 9 ppg and 8 rpg for us as a soph 

Jeriah Horne - transferred. Avg 9 ppg 4 reb for Tulsa this year. Shooting 41% from 3P

tenor.gif

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Dude was so Pro-Miles it probably even made Tim blush.

Big Ten will have how many new basketball coaches next season?  I will put the O/U at 2.5

Miles

Chambers (PSU)

------------------------------

I could see that Rutgers coach leaving for a better gig

Izzo MIGHT retire (doubt it thought)

Pitino at Minnesota might not survive the season depending on how their season wraps up.

19 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Pitino at Minnesota might not survive the season depending on how their season wraps up.

Huh? Minnesota is doing fine right now. They avenged that awful loss @ Illinois with a win last night . 6-4 in conference play. Winners of 3 of last 4 and only loss was buzzer beater against Michigan.

I think they will be dancing. They could implode but I think Pitino is safe.

3 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Huh? Minnesota is doing fine right now. They avenged that awful loss @ Illinois with a win last night . 6-4 in conference play. Winners of 3 of last 4 and only loss was buzzer beater against Michigan.

I think they will be dancing. They could implode but I think Pitino is safe.

His seat was very hot at the beginning of the season. If they collapse he will be gone.

14 hours ago, ECisGod said:

His seat was very hot at the beginning of the season. If they collapse he will be gone.

Not so sure about that. They sucked last year but most gopher fans blamed it on the scandal with Reggie Lynch and then Amir Coffey got hurt.

I think plenty of fans were unsure coming into this season but seemed to be a wait and see approach. 

The loss to Boston College didnt help and the Illinois blowout seemed to be shrugged off.

They dont talk gophers basketball a ton on local radio but I work with plenty of gopher basketball fans and know a few boosters. I would say it would take a pretty epic collapse for them to fire him. 

I think even finishing even in the B1G wont really crash that house of cards. 

Now, if they started off 5-5, I think the seat gets warm.. but overall the Goofs have been fairly good this year. I think their record is a bit deceiving because I dont think they are that good but that is what a weak non-con can do for a team. 

27 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Not so sure about that. They sucked last year but most gopher fans blamed it on the scandal with Reggie Lynch and then Amir Coffey got hurt.

I think plenty of fans were unsure coming into this season but seemed to be a wait and see approach. 

The loss to Boston College didnt help and the Illinois blowout seemed to be shrugged off.

They dont talk gophers basketball a ton on local radio but I work with plenty of gopher basketball fans and know a few boosters. I would say it would take a pretty epic collapse for them to fire him. 

I think even finishing even in the B1G wont really crash that house of cards. 

Now, if they started off 5-5, I think the seat gets warm.. but overall the Goofs have been fairly good this year. I think their record is a bit deceiving because I dont think they are that good but that is what a weak non-con can do for a team. 

According to ESPN they will only be favored in 1 of their last 10 games & their BPI expects them to win 2.5 more games.  Their non-conf SOS is 275 (only Northwestern's was worse in the B1G).  Nebraska is expected to win 5.5 (not that I think that will happen) & is favored in 7 of their last 10.  I doubt any of the ESPN predictions will happen for either team, but if they do...

3 hours ago, ECisGod said:

According to ESPN they will only be favored in 1 of their last 10 games & their BPI expects them to win 2.5 more games.  Their non-conf SOS is 275 (only Northwestern's was worse in the B1G).  Nebraska is expected to win 5.5 (not that I think that will happen) & is favored in 7 of their last 10.  I doubt any of the ESPN predictions will happen for either team, but if they do...

In that case, want to make a bet on who wins more games down the stretch and who fires there coach?

Those odds can say whatever they want... Minnesota is not firing Pitino this year. Nebraska will fire Miles. 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:53 PM, BIG ERN said:

I hear you on the transfer thing...at the same time, it's something like 40% of players transfer before the end of their Soph year.  Nebraska has certainly gotten their fair share of transfers to bolster the team...heck White/Petteway/Pitchford were all transfers to NU.

If they lose to Illinois tomorrow it's over for the Huskers. Illinois very inconsistent offensively but if they are hitting their

shots it will be tough.

Didn’t technically leave the program as he never made it but losing Xavier Johnson when Kenya left really hurt. Averaging like 18 a game right now for Pitt

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Is it fair the seat is no longer hot but actually on fire 

The seat is on the surface of the sun right now. It is that hot

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

Hot take: the sun is cold

9A718A74-C154-4A25-86DE-ED53A303EB9B.jpeg

• Plus1 1

Miles is a good guy

hes upbeat and quirky 

he has recruited better than any coach in recent memory

he embraces the fans and the place is full

lets part ways in a classy way

nu has been a graveyard for coaches

have no clue who we get or how to turn It around 

beating up on a guy who has worked hard and embraced the fans in a historically poor program doesn’t help anyone     

Wasnt like he he took over a team that consistently won 20 plus games 

• Plus1 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Miles is a good guy

hes upbeat and quirky 

have no clue who we get of how to turn It around 

beating up on a guy who has worked hard and embraced the fans in a historically poor program doesn’t help anyone     

Well, he has a worse winning percentage than the guy who was here before him, so...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Miles is a good guy

hes upbeat and quirky 

have no clue who we get or how to turn It around 

Miles is not good recruiter. In 7 years no bigs or a kid that shoots 3’s. He just gets juco transfers and that it. 

He has not developed one player, nobody leaves a better player. Person yes, player no. 

• Upvote 1

I’m no basketball guy

my totally unskilled observation:

this team wasn’t deep

but they seem to be pretty talented

just not playing together and winning games

at the end of the day that’s what they have to do

i loved doc

but never felt he had the kids to compete

thought White was supposed to be good at shooting 3s

yep no big guys jordy didn’t work out 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, The Murphinator said:

I don't think he even knows hes sitting on a seat anymore. More like a wall sit at this point 

• Plus1 2

Pretty sure Miles is looking for a good real estate agent right about now.

44 minutes ago, Big red surfers said:

Miles is not good recruiter. In 7 years no bigs or a kid that shoots 3’s. He just gets juco transfers and that it.

Jordy was supposed to be the big, but yeah.

I disagree that those guys weren’t BIG caliber. If you look at the way good teams have guys who work together as a team instead of standing around watching the stars heave up pathetic threes, those guys would’ve contributed as great support players.

Players don’t believe in this system, or whatever it is.

10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I disagree that those guys weren’t BIG caliber. If you look at the way good teams have guys who work together as a team instead of standing around watching the stars heave up pathetic threes, those guys would’ve contributed as great support players.

Players don’t believe in this system, or whatever it is.

You think the first 4 kids were B10 caliber? The others listed were, but just not the first ones listed 

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

You think the first 4 kids were B10 caliber? The others listed were, but just not the first ones listed 

I just watched the same kind of players for Texas Tech get after it and play like a team. I think they were good enough role players for any league. Doc had the opposite problem.

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Please moos, fire miles.  

NOW

Wouldn't accomplish anything... but I second this

His seat isn't even hot.  He's out.  He knows it. 

Nothing gained by firing him now.  Moos has the next few weeks to work on his replacement.

3 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Please moos, fire miles.  

NOW

You did a 180!

Just now, Mavric said:

His seat isn't even hot.  He's out.  He knows it. 

Nothing gained by firing him now.  Moos has the next few weeks to work on his replacement.

I would imagine it is actually easier for Moos to operate while Miles is still the coach.  Once Miles is canned, rumors kick into super over drive.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You did a 180!

I would imagine it is actually easier for Moos to operate while Miles is still the coach.  Once Miles is canned, rumors kick into super over drive.

He has lost the team, maybe an assistant can get them back.

https://theathletic.com/806764/2019/02/08/shot-takers-vol-13-sleeper-final-four-teams-who-has-disappointed-and-the-curse-of-brian-hamilton/

Dana: I agree, plus Edwards is exactly the kind of player you need in March. A guy not afraid to shoulder the load and also, fully capable of toting it.

So now that we’ve discussed the good news, how about the bad? The teams that would like Punxsutawney Phil time and some do-overs? The entirety of the Pac-12 is eliminated from this conversation, by the way. I think this one is tricky. There are plenty of teams that needed to grow into themselves — Loyola-Chicago, for example. There are also tons that were way overvalued early, like West Virginia. But abject flops without excuse? I hate to kick a team when it’s down, but I might have to start with Nebraska. All of those guys returning, all of that expectation and … pfft. I mean, Tim Miles was in tears the other night.

Brian: The Huskers look just about cooked. Six losses in a row, and here are the last four games of the season: Purdue, at Michigan, at Michigan State, Iowa. Eep.

Jon Crispin, one of the more astute hoops minds out there, notes that Nebraska has a “veteran” team that isn’t really a veteran team, in the sense that these guys haven’t played together for three or four years. I think it’s a very solid point, explaining why we may have overvalued the Huskers. But they’ve played together enough. The offense shouldn’t be as disjointed and lost as it looked against Maryland. It’s not a good look when you look like you’re out of answers.

• Plus1 3

"Reverse hot seat -- why these embattled coaches should stay"

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/158/nebraska-cornhuskers

What his detractors would say: He's gone from the fun coach who used to tweet at halftime to the coach whose team has experienced high turnover and won more than 20 games only once. Nebraska, which has only reached the NCAA tournament once under Miles, has lost seven in a row. Plus, Nebraska can shred the final year of his deal by paying him a $2.5 million buyout this offseason. The school would owe Miles nearly $4 million total if it made the move after next season.

Why his firing would be unjust: Nebraska has opened a great arena and practice facility within the past five years. The school has invested millions to rebrand itself as a viable basketball program. That's not easy to do for a program that's never won an NCAA tournament game. Firing Miles could erase the momentum the program has built during his time in Lincoln. -- Myron Medcalf 

Edit: For the record, I don't endorse this article or the arguments in it. I've wanted Miles gone for a while now. Just posting it for its' relevance. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Fru said:

What his detractors would say: He's gone from the fun coach who used to tweet at halftime to the coach whose team has experienced high turnover and won more than 20 games only once. Nebraska, which has only reached the NCAA tournament once under Miles, has lost seven in a row. Plus, Nebraska can shred the final year of his deal by paying him a $2.5 million buyout this offseason. The school would owe Miles nearly $4 million total if it made the move after next season.

Why his firing would be unjust: Nebraska has opened a great arena and practice facility within the past five years. The school has invested millions to rebrand itself as a viable basketball program. That's not easy to do for a program that's never won an NCAA tournament game. Firing Miles could erase the momentum the program has built during his time in Lincoln. -- Myron Medcalf 

Edit: For the record, I don't endorse this article or the arguments in it. I've wanted Miles gone for a while now. Just posting it for its' relevance. 

That's very interesting that the writer points out the "momentum" gained in the last 5 years with a new arena and practice facility, when it's just as easy to say that Miles has had a 5 year period where a new arena and practice facility has been built, but the program hasn't recruited better or won more games. 

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

That's very interesting that the writer points out the "momentum" gained in the last 5 years with a new arena and practice facility, when it's just as easy to say that Miles has had a 5 year period where a new arena and practice facility has been built, but the program hasn't recruited better or won more games. 

No kidding. I've often wondered how Doc Sadler would have done if he had had the resources that Tim has. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Fru said:

No kidding. I've often wondered how Doc Sadler would have done if he had had the resources that Tim has. 

He has not done much at SMiss but then again that might not really mean much.

15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

He has not done much at SMiss but then again that might not really mean much.

Yeah he's been very underwhelming there. But while at Nebraska it felt like he was constantly so close to getting over the hump. 

My buddy used to play on the women's basketball practice team several years ago and he told me there were times when the Devaney center was being used by gymnastics or some other sport and they had to practice at Mabel Lee hall after the men's team got done. The court wasn't even regulation size. Compare that with what they have now. 

9 minutes ago, Fru said:

Yeah he's been very underwhelming there. But while at Nebraska it felt like he was constantly so close to getting over the hump. 

My buddy used to play on the women's basketball practice team several years ago and he told me there were times when the Devaney center was being used by gymnastics or some other sport and they had to practice at Mabel Lee hall after the men's team got done. The court wasn't even regulation size. Compare that with what they have now. 

Man I forgot about that hall!  

1 hour ago, Fru said:

I'd argue not firing Miles would cause any momentum we have left to come to a screeching halt

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I'd argue not firing Miles would cause any momentum we have left to come to a screeching halt

For fans, yes.  On the course...the product would pretty much be  the same...struggling to finish .500.

Just now, teachercd said:

For fans, yes.  On the course...the product would pretty much be  the same...struggling to finish .500.

I don't really see how it could get much worse, honestly.  Keep Tim around and no one is going to touch this dumpster fire with a 10 foot pole.

5 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I don't really see how it could get much worse, honestly.  Keep Tim around and no one is going to touch this dumpster fire with a 10 foot pole.

I guess I don't think that is true.  I mean...who would turn down a lotto ticket?  Because that is what it is...6 year deal...probably 2-3 million a year and it is all guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I guess I don't think that is true.  I mean...who would turn down a lotto ticket?  Because that is what it is...6 year deal...probably 2-3 million a year and it is all guaranteed. 

There's probably some truth to that but I still think the job becomes much less appealing and I think for the right coach, it's not going to be entirely about money.  

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

There's probably some truth to that but I still think the job becomes much less appealing and I think for the right coach, it's not going to be entirely about money.  

Yeah, I get what you are saying.  But hiring a good coach is such a crapshoot anyway...Shoot Texas thought they hit a homer with Shaka Smart...

There are so few coaches that are a sure thing.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I get what you are saying.  But hiring a good coach is such a crapshoot anyway...Shoot Texas thought they hit a homer with Shaka Smart...

There are so few coaches that are a sure thing.

That's for sure.  Just hire Mussleman and call it a day:smokin.  Not sure we could make a better hire, realistically.

I doubt he'd come here anyways but I think the chances pretty much go to 0 if we become too much of a dumpster fire.