What did we learn: Iowa edition?

25 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

This offense is predicated on the run. I'd say Ozigbo brought some Husker power 

21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost doesn’t trust the offensive line to compete against top defenses in the Big Ten and the playmakers for this year were more involved in the passing game.  I expect Frost to continue to work on evolving the run game. 

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The power running game could come back. Iowa runs it pretty well. But the horizontal passing game is in fashion right now, with quick outs and bubble screens replacing traditional running plays. It works pretty well, but only if you mix it up. Frost seems able to mix it up. If we want our OC to "stick with what works" then you have to admit our 6.3 yards per play and 450+ per game is working. I think we've improved in the Red Zone as well.

Oz has done a great job and Frost does run as evidenced by the 1000 yrd season.  I think as @ColoradoHusksaid, we don't have an O line to compete upfront.  Frost mentioned as much in his presser.  “What disturbs me is that right now, Iowa’s a bigger, stronger football team,” Frost said. “That’s right now. “I never thought I’d say that about a Nebraska football team. But that we can fix. I’m looking forward to the day we get that fixed, when we won’t get pushed around by anybody.”

I'd like to see us bring back some of the traditional running plays of NU of old like the counters and traps.  Something to help an offense counter and aggressive front 7.  Watched some of the Houston Memphis game and Memphis was bringing in a DL as a FB to switch up the running game.  To win the B1G you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run.  We gave up almost 300 yrds on the ground to Iowa and rushed for 140 against Iowa.  103 against MSU, 39 against Michigan, 111 against Wisky (they had 370)......Run the ball and stop the run.  I think that we willsee some adjustments/enhancements to our offense next year. Frost has shown an ability to learn at every stop.  I do not see this being any different.  The B1G is a much more physical beast than the Pac 12 or AAC.  I'm sure getting I more guys in who fit the system will help.  

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Oz has done a great job and Frost does run as evidenced by the 1000 yrd season.  I think as @ColoradoHusksaid, we don't have an O line to compete upfront.  Frost mentioned as much in his presser.  “What disturbs me is that right now, Iowa’s a bigger, stronger football team,” Frost said. “That’s right now. “I never thought I’d say that about a Nebraska football team. But that we can fix. I’m looking forward to the day we get that fixed, when we won’t get pushed around by anybody.”

I'd like to see us bring back some of the traditional running plays of NU of old like the counters and traps.  Something to help an offense counter and aggressive front 7.  Watched some of the Houston Memphis game and Memphis was bringing in a DL as a FB to switch up the running game.  To win the B1G you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run.  We gave up almost 300 yrds on the ground to Iowa and rushed for 140 against Iowa.  103 against MSU, 39 against Michigan, 111 against Wisky (they had 370)......Run the ball and stop the run.  I think that we willsee some adjustments/enhancements to our offense next year. Frost has shown an ability to learn at every stop.  I do not see this being any different.  The B1G is a much more physical beast than the Pac 12 or AAC.  I'm sure getting I more guys in who fit the system will help.  

I feel like while it wasn't presented in the traditional form, we did see some linemen pulling and utilizing counters. These also presented themselves as QB reads with pulling lead blockers. I understand what you're wanting to see though. It seems like some of that requires under center work which hasn't been shown really in this staff's scheme. 

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

I feel like while it wasn't presented in the traditional form, we did see some linemen pulling and utilizing counters. These also presented themselves as QB reads with pulling lead blockers. I understand what you're wanting to see though. It seems like some of that requires under center work which hasn't been shown really in this staff's scheme. 

Great point.  I wouldn't mind that wrinkle throw in at the goal line or short yardage.  Just one more thing for DC's to worry about next year.

2 hours ago, I am I said:

What I would like to see our returners learn is that you can FAIR CATCH the ball on a kickoff and get it at the 25

And to teach the return man to run up the field and take your 20-25 yard return, instead of cutting to the sidelines at the 10  hoping to break it long and getting tackled at the 15.

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I think Michigan State showed Iowa last week that Martinez is not comfortable, and does not make the best decision in the pocket. At this point in his development the best way to limit A-Mart is to maintain contain and keep him there. He is deadly on RPO's. So force him to be a pocket passer and limit his game. Also why so many passes batted down at the line of scrimmage last few games.

exactly, he is nervous in the pocket, doesn't step up well, then wants to take off, but waits until it's too late.

7 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

we threw the out pattern to the side line WAY too much......predictable s#!t play.

Mario has not taught AM to keep from throwing into coverage

Mario has not taught AM to throw the ball away, instead of taking sacks

slow developing plays killed the offense.....AM has much to learn

Seems that "throwing into coverage" is open to interpretation.  Guys are not always going to be five yards open.  You have to be able to throw into tight windows.  I have not seen what I would call throwing into coverage very much.

We are #90 in the county in sacks allowed.  One quarter of our sacks allowed for the year came in two games - Troy and Michigan - when Martinez either didn't play or played hurt.  And you have to balance sacks taken against scrambles that lead to big plays.  How many times was Martinez able to pull the ball down and run for a nice gain?  Guys who can make plays with their feet tend to hold onto the ball longer and probably take a few extra sacks because of it.  But if they are making more big plays than they are taking sacks, that's a net win.

Again, "slow developing" is open to interpretation.  Some plays are relatively slower than others but I wouldn't say we ran so many that are killing our offense.  And if we are, why would you blame the quarterback for that?  That would be Frost/Walters.

I think you're latching on to some things that do happen occasionally but you're making it sound like they happen much more frequently than they do.

21 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

exactly, he is nervous in the pocket, doesn't step up well, then wants to take off, but waits until it's too late.

Now you're just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.  Guys who are nervous in the pocket either take off too soon or throw the ball away too early.  You already said he holds on to the ball too long and now you're saying he doesn't run until it's too late.  It is not possible to have it both ways.  So you're just wanting to complain.

If there is one thing that Martinez is amazing at, it's how much poise in the pocket he has for a guy who didn't play his senior year and is more than capable of making plays with his legs.  But despite all that, he often stays in the pocket and waits for the play to develop.

Your analysis doesn't hold water.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Seems that "throwing into coverage" is open to interpretation.  Guys are not always going to be five yards open.  You have to be able to throw into tight windows.  I have not seen what I would call throwing into coverage very much.

We are #90 in the county in sacks allowed.  One quarter of our sacks allowed for the year came in two games - Troy and Michigan - when Martinez either didn't play or played hurt.  And you have to balance sacks taken against scrambles that lead to big plays.  How many times was Martinez able to pull the ball down and run for a nice gain?  Guys who can make plays with their feet tend to hold onto the ball longer and probably take a few extra sacks because of it.  But if they are making more big plays than they are taking sacks, that's a net win.

Again, "slow developing" is open to interpretation.  I some plays are relatively slower than others but I wouldn't say we ran so many that are killing our offense.  And if we are, why would you blame the quarterback for that?  That would be Frost/Walters.

I think you're latching on to some things that do happen occasionally but you're making it sound like they happen much more frequently than they do.

Yeah it’s not that there aren’t little things Martinez can improve on but in the grand scheme of things he’s doing a helluva lot more right and makes far fewer freshman mistakes then most I’ve seen at his stage. My one small gripe is ball security but that will come. And some

of those turnovers were him trying to make something happen(Ohio St game)and I’ll take that 

7 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

we threw the out pattern to the side line WAY too much......predictable s#!t play.

Mario has not taught AM to keep from throwing into coverage

Mario has not taught AM to throw the ball away, instead of taking sacks

slow developing plays killed the offense.....AM has much to learn

Mavric and others answered this pretty well....but I’ll add.....

very seldom did the “out pattern to the sideline” not pick up positive yards. If that were a running play, everyone would love the results. The staff treat as a running play. 

Sometimes slow developing plays are because Martinez is looking for his second, third or forth option. 

Again, we need receivers getting open other than Morgan. 

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Mavric and others answered this pretty well....but I’ll add.....

very seldom did the “out pattern to the sideline” not pick up positive yards. If that were a running play, everyone would love the results. The staff treat as a running play. 

Sometimes slow developing plays are because Martinez is looking for his second, third or forth option. 

Again, we need receivers getting open other than Morgan. 

Yup. It's kinda like saying we're doing the run up the middle for 5 yards play too much. I.e. it makes no sense to say.

1 hour ago, Hunter94 said:

This might be the worst take I've seen all season. AM is more calm and cool in the pocket than any Husker QB I can remember. Plus he's extremely elusive and uses his feet to get out of trouble frequently.

Before you continue your complaining about Martinez, you might want to take a gander at his stats - you know, the where he put up the best true frosh season ever at NU. I haven't taken the time to look at his numbers compared to first-year starters at NU, but I'm betting he's pretty high up that list too.

RUSHING         GP-GS  Att Gain Loss  Net   Avg  TD Long Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Martinez 11-11  140  847  218  629   4.5   8   53  57.2

PASSING         GP-GS   Effic Cmp-Att-Int   Pct  Yds  TD Lng Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Martinez 11-11  139.46  224-347-8   64.6 2617  17  75 237.9

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This might be the worst take I've seen all season. AM is more calm and cool in the pocket than any Husker QB I can remember. Plus he's extremely elusive and uses his feet to get out of trouble frequently.

Before you continue your complaining about Martinez, you might want to take a gander at his stats - you know, the where he put up the best true frosh season ever at NU. I haven't taken the time to look at his numbers compared to first-year starters at NU, but I'm betting he's pretty high up that list too.

RUSHING         GP-GS  Att Gain Loss  Net   Avg  TD Long Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Martinez 11-11  140  847  218  629   4.5   8   53  57.2

PASSING         GP-GS   Effic Cmp-Att-Int   Pct  Yds  TD Lng Avg/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
Adrian Martinez 11-11  139.46  224-347-8   64.6 2617  17  75 237.9

Ya but does he pass the eyeball test??? Statics can be made to show anything.

• Haha 4