Jump to content
Moiraine

How do you define retirement?

Recommended Posts

I had an argument with someone. I know the dictionary definition is that you quit working.


But I think these days it means you quit your full time job and start getting social security and if you get another part time job working 1-2 days a week out of boredom you're still in retirement. Said person doesn't think a party should be thrown for the retired person because it would feel awkward.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think working a part time job 1-2 days a week nullifies being retired. If you've stopped your full time employment and have started drawing social security, you're retired. As for the party seeming awkward, I suppose it may depend on the nature of the part time job or how long it's been since they stopped full time work but I still think a retirement party is warranted. Hell, practically nobody would get a party if a little PT work was a deal breaker.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how anybody could stand not doing something while retired. My long-term plan is to hand my business off to my son (my daughters too, if they're interested), and focus on maintaining a small farm, and managing my rentals.... And of course golfing a couple times a week:lol:..... The thought of wasting away in a recliner, or meeting other old people for breakfast at McDonald's scares the hell out of me.

 

But, to answer your question, I think you can still consider yourself retired if you work 1-2 days a week...

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 6:28 PM, NM11046 said:

I can't understand why people throw retirement parties - seems to me the action is the party.  

 

 

You took the wrong side, bub. (Just kidding). But this person works at a small business so they're all good friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i define retirement as a really funny and cruel joke of a concept that doesn't and won't apply to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I don't see myself retiring.  I get so much time off as it is and I will probably coach forever...Plus I can always sub a few days a week.  

 

I guess I define retirement as no longer NEEDING to work.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, "retirement" hopefully, will mean when I get to a point where my current career is finished, I don't need the amount of income I'm currently getting, I can start living some off of what I have saved.......and I go find something else to do to supplement it.

 

And...play a lot of golf and travel.  

 

That "something else" I will be doing will have  very flexible schedule and doesn't have the level of responsibility I have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will echo a lot of the sentiments mentioned above.  I would consider retirement as finishing my current "career" and being able to spend the time "not having to work".  I will live off what I have saved, along with doing activities to fill the time.  This probably would include some type of "work", but it would mainly be as something to help fill my time.

 

Other than that, I would like to golf a lot and do some traveling, as well.  When I was driving through Nebraska over the holidays, I thought it would be a fun, solitude trip to drive through Nebraska for 1-2 weeks playing various golf courses.  My wife wouldn't want to join me, so it would definitely be a solo trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I will echo a lot of the sentiments mentioned above.  I would consider retirement as finishing my current "career" and being able to spend the time "not having to work".  I will live off what I have saved, along with doing activities to fill the time.  This probably would include some type of "work", but it would mainly be as something to help fill my time.

 

Other than that, I would like to golf a lot and do some traveling, as well.  When I was driving through Nebraska over the holidays, I thought it would be a fun, solitude trip to drive through Nebraska for 1-2 weeks playing various golf courses.  My wife wouldn't want to join me, so it would definitely be a solo trip.

 

 

I'll go with you!

 

Image result for two guys skipping gif

 

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My in-laws are both retired. They sit around the house and do nothing most of the time. Some time at the gym, some time doing quilt stuff, but mostly just staying at home. Seems boring.

 

My parents both "retired" by quitting their long-term careers. They each got part-time jobs, doing something they thought was fun, and received a fraction of their former income. But they were both much happier than my in-laws.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would define retirement as getting to a point where i had enough money i didn't HAVE to work any more. Every day would be lived on my terms, and my way. The only reason I work is for money , and I have plenty of interests to pursue if time/money allowed it. I cant imagine being bored or needing to work at all.

As far as a party, I think that's a thing of the past. People used to work the same place for 30 +years to receive and pension/benefits for retirement in return. The party was to celebrate that accomplishment, show respect, and say goodbye to coworkers/ friends you'd worked with most of your life. None of those things apply much  any more 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad took early retirement in his 50s from being a school counselor and still receives a pension to this day. Im 31 and i dont remember him working a real job in my lifetime. I mean I guess raising 5 young kids in your 50s and 60s could be considered a tough job. He is now 84. My mom retired 2 years ago. She gets a pension also for her 40 year teaching career. She does not have or want a part time job. She is done. They have traveled more these past two years than i can ever remember. They probably have been on at least 15-20 vacations in these two years. That is what retirment is to me.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

My dad took early retirement in his 50s from being a school counselor and still receives a pension to this day. Im 31 and i dont remember him working a real job in my lifetime. I mean I guess raising 5 young kids in your 50s and 60s could be considered a tough job. He is now 84. My mom retired 2 years ago. She gets a pension also for her 40 year teaching career. She does not have or want a part time job. She is done. They have traveled more these past two years than i can ever remember. They probably have been on at least 15-20 vacations in these two years. That is what retirment is to me.

Your dad is living the dream of the public school funded retirement pension. Good for him. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

My dad took early retirement in his 50s from being a school counselor and still receives a pension to this day. Im 31 and i dont remember him working a real job in my lifetime. I mean I guess raising 5 young kids in your 50s and 60s could be considered a tough job. He is now 84. My mom retired 2 years ago. She gets a pension also for her 40 year teaching career. She does not have or want a part time job. She is done. They have traveled more these past two years than i can ever remember. They probably have been on at least 15-20 vacations in these two years. That is what retirment is to me.

My dad was a guidance counselor too . He retired at 60 . Between his Air Force retirement , teachers pension , and social security he had a comfortable income and lived 25 more happy years with no job . I think it’s great they got to do that , sadly my situation will not be the same . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Your dad is living the dream of the public school funded retirement pension. Good for him. 

It is every teachers dream to retire early and come back to double dip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 7:31 PM, Big Red 40 said:

I would define retirement as getting to a point where i had enough money i didn't HAVE to work any more. Every day would be lived on my terms, and my way. The only reason I work is for money , and I have plenty of interests to pursue if time/money allowed it. I cant imagine being bored or needing to work at all.

As far as a party, I think that's a thing of the past. People used to work the same place for 30 +years to receive and pension/benefits for retirement in return. The party was to celebrate that accomplishment, show respect, and say goodbye to coworkers/ friends you'd worked with most of your life. None of those things apply much  any more 

 

 

Well, the person has worked there 29 years :)

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 7:31 PM, Big Red 40 said:

I would define retirement as getting to a point where i had enough money i didn't HAVE to work any more. Every day would be lived on my terms, and my way. The only reason I work is for money , and I have plenty of interests to pursue if time/money allowed it. I cant imagine being bored or needing to work at all.

As far as a party, I think that's a thing of the past. People used to work the same place for 30 +years to receive and pension/benefits for retirement in return. The party was to celebrate that accomplishment, show respect, and say goodbye to coworkers/ friends you'd worked with most of your life. None of those things apply much  any more 

 

Really?  I've threw two retirement parties last year for people who worked here 20 years and 37 years.  This year, I will have three retire that have worked here 17, 28 and 40 years.  If find the parties very important and people appreciate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to have them here all the time too . As the older guys left the parties have died way down . With no pensions any more 30 years of service means nothing . Older guys are looked at as liabilities not respected , and the influx of foreign (often short time ) workers makes  long time friendships more difficult . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 4:34 PM, Frott Scost said:

My dad took early retirement in his 50s from being a school counselor and still receives a pension to this day. Im 31 and i dont remember him working a real job in my lifetime. I mean I guess raising 5 young kids in your 50s and 60s could be considered a tough job. He is now 84. My mom retired 2 years ago. She gets a pension also for her 40 year teaching career. She does not have or want a part time job. She is done. They have traveled more these past two years than i can ever remember. They probably have been on at least 15-20 vacations in these two years. That is what retirment is to me.

 

My brother took retirement about 5 years ago and he and his wife do at least 2 big overseas trips a year.  He works a little part time at a local CC in Houston taking tee time reservations.  If he wanted to they said he could work 40 a week.  He doesn't miss his real job at all.  My dad was the same way never missed working.  He had lots of hobbies and liked  to travel a lot. 

 

My FIL is the complete opposite he is 78 years old and still wants to keep his hand in his business.  We have 3 branches and he basically travels between the 3 in Nebraska, Indiana and Idaho all year long spending winter's in Arizona still working.  He has no hobbies all he thinks about is Ag tires, which I think is sad.  I truly think he feels if he quits going to work he will die.  

 

I myself want to start traveling a lot when my youngest is out of HS.  He is a freshman right now.  I will be 56 and want to see some of the world when I am young enough to enjoy it.  I won't be retired but I think we can be away from the business a week at a time for a while every now and then.  

 

Retirement means different things to different people.  Guys that built their own business, like my FIL I think have a hard time walking away from it.  Guys like my dad and brother that work big corp.  find it easier

 

 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In college I worked at a donut place, in the mornings the same 5-7 old dudes would come in, get a coffee, eat a donut, read the paper, smoke and solve America's problems...for about 2-4 hours...every single day.  

 

I would rather work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 7:31 PM, Big Red 40 said:

I would define retirement as getting to a point where i had enough money i didn't HAVE to work any more. Every day would be lived on my terms, and my way. The only reason I work is for money , and I have plenty of interests to pursue if time/money allowed it. I cant imagine being bored or needing to work at all.

As far as a party, I think that's a thing of the past. People used to work the same place for 30 +years to receive and pension/benefits for retirement in return. The party was to celebrate that accomplishment, show respect, and say goodbye to coworkers/ friends you'd worked with most of your life. None of those things apply much  any more 

 

Interesting. Around my part of the country it is still really common for people to stick it out at the same place for a long time, especially in manufacturing. I worked overnight-shift manufacturing until my business took off, and it seemed like there were always retirement announcements on the company portal for people that had been there for 30-40 years....My father-in-law retired a couple years ago after 46 years in the same manufacturing plant, and he wasn't the longest tenured employee up until his last couple years.... Retirement to him, thus far, has been farming. He has talked about opening a pawn/gun shop. He had his firearm arsenal appraised right around his retirement and it came back at $350K.:blink: So, if he chooses to go that route, inventory shouldn't be a problem.:lol:

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would like to retire and buy/open a strip club!

 

Haven't you watched 'Ozark'???? That's a tough business!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, teachercd said:

Ha!  I have!

 

Full disclosure: I'm coming up on 32 years old, and I've never been to a strip club.:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

Full disclosure: I'm coming up on 32 years old, and I've never been to a strip club.:blink:

You are not missing all that much really...I have probably been like 10 times and that might be high...It is fun for a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

Interesting. Around my part of the country it is still really common for people to stick it out at the same place for a long time, especially in manufacturing. I worked overnight-shift manufacturing until my business took off, and it seemed like there were always retirement announcements on the company portal for people that had been there for 30-40 years....My father-in-law retired a couple years ago after 46 years in the same manufacturing plant, and he wasn't the longest tenured employee up until his last couple years.... Retirement to him, thus far, has been farming. He has talked about opening a pawn/gun shop. He had his firearm arsenal appraised right around his retirement and it came back at $350K.:blink: So, if he chooses to go that route, inventory shouldn't be a problem.:lol:

That factory still offer a pension? My company had a full pension at 30 yrs and you kept your health insurance . The payout got better for every year of service over 30 too, so was well worth your while to stay as long as possible . That’s gone now,  so the younger guys really don’t care about staying here forever any more . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Dude said:

The only type of party that isn't awkward is when you're getting s#!tfaced with your friends.

 

 

Good thing I’m providing alcohol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×