The Cult of Trump & other false loyalties

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

:facepalm:

What a load.  You are more than allowed to come in and discuss the topics based on your beliefs and views of the world.  If people attack you personally, they will be warned or reprimanded in some way.  If you say something that has no basis in reality, then you will be asked to provide proof and if you can't, well.....that's your problem.  

I have stated pretty conservative things on here before and had very good discussions with most people.  Now, coming on and claiming you can't do that, makes it appear that you have a problem with having your views challenged.  That isn't a problem with the board.

Bingo   

Like you - I come from the conservative side of things.  One should not conclude that opposition to Trump makes one a liberal.  @hskerprid  may be a strong trump supporter - thus he sees all of the thread topics as all liberal posting.  I know a good number of true conservatives who oppose trump.  Trump is not a conservative - to say otherwise is to not know / understand politics.  Just because he can appoint conservative judges or enact some policies a conservative might approve of, doesn't make him one.  He is a wolf in conservative  clothing and he is using the GOP for his own ends - he is an opportunist first and foremost and a nationalist - which is not the same as a conservative. 

• Plus1 3

13 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Bingo   

Like you - I come from the conservative side of things.  One should not conclude that opposition to Trump makes one a liberal.  @hskerprid  may be a strong trump supporter - thus he sees all of the thread topics as all liberal posting.  I know a good number of true conservatives who oppose trump.  Trump is not a conservative - to say otherwise is to not know / understand politics.  Just because he can appoint conservative judges or enact some policies a conservative might approve of, doesn't make him one.  He is a wolf in conservative  clothing and he is using the GOP for his own ends - he is an opportunist first and foremost and a nationalist - which is not the same as a conservative. 

I just saw this tweet - they agree with me 100% or maybe I should say, I agree wt the Lincoln Project:

EZ3dA7aXYAU__1X?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Plus1 2

Sen Tom Cotton wants to be the next Trump.    I expect a run for the WH in 2024 under the trump banner.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sen-tom-cottons-next-mission-carrying-trump-banner-after-trump-11591542001

WASHINGTON—Sen. Tom Cotton has been a longtime adviser to President Trump, both echoing the chief executive’s bare-knuckled rhetoric on subjects like immigration and China and at times pushing him to take even more aggressive positions.

Last week, the Arkansas Republican and the president were again making different versions of the same argument amid protests sparked by the killing of George Floyd while in police custody. While Mr. Trump weighed whether to invoke an 1807 law to send active-duty military in response to largely peaceful demonstrations that included bursts of looting and other violence, Mr. Cotton was more definitive, explicitly calling in a New York Times op-ed for an “overwhelming show of force” by federal troops and local law enforcement. That column led to the resignation Sunday of the news organization’s editorial page editor James Bennet.

Mr. Cotton’s willingness to court controversy by backing—or exceeding—the president’s agenda puts him in the spotlight as Republicans jockey to influence Mr. Trump, and as a potential carrier of the president’s banner when he eventually leaves the White House.

“Tom Cotton is indeed setting himself up to be the heir to Trumpism,” said Geoffrey Kabaservice, director of political studies at the Washington-based think tank Niskanen Center, who studies Republican politics. “In some ways, I think his case to lead the Trump wing of the party after this era has only been strengthened by this past week.”

Back in Arkansas, Mr. Cotton’s supporters believe he is destined for bigger things. In 2015, Republican Bart Hester, a state legislator, helped put into state law a measure to enable Mr. Cotton, 43, to run for the presidency while simultaneously serving in the Senate.

“He always has a very valid basis for what he believes and why he believes it, and I think he has the best for all Americans in mind at all the time,” Mr. Hester said.

Although the senator and president have foreign-policy differences—Mr. Cotton is more hawkish and in favor of keeping troops in northern Syria, while Mr. Trump ordered a withdrawal, for example—they are frequently on the same page. Mr. Cotton’s op-ed calling for the president to invoke the Insurrection Act was just the latest example of the two men running on parallel tracks.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not really undecided anymore, I think Cruz is worse than Trump. His whole shtick before was that he was a constitutionalist. Then he just throws it out the window at the drop of a hat because it's now the GOP that is defying the constitution. Then he constantly sucks up to Trump. He is such a f#&%ing loser.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm not really undecided anymore, I think Cruz is worse than Trump. His whole shtick before was that he was a constitutionalist. Then he just throws it out the window at the drop of a hat because it's now the GOP that is defying the constitution. Then he constantly sucks up to Trump. He is such a f#&%ing loser.

He's a human caricature of how most Americans view politicians.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I always think about Al Franken's take on Ted Cruz's likability:

"Here's the thing you have to understand about Ted Cruz," Franken wrote in the book, an excerpt of which was published by Axios. "I like Ted Cruz more than most of my other colleagues like Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz."

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Then he constantly sucks up to Trump.

Such a change from the day he accused Trump of defamation and slander regarding Ted's dad.  He is an opportunist just like Trump - so in that way they are most certainly alike.