The Cult of Trump & other false loyalties

I saw a clip of a Fox host show discussing it.  Disgusting.  

Someone on Twitter asked can you imagine if one of Obama's cabinet members went on MSNBC and said that Obama is the chosen one of Allah and was here to do good?  We'd have all these GOP guys taken care of cuz they'd all have a stroke or coronary event.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The man is a convicted war criminal. He should have nothing to do with our armed forces.

But think about the motives here. Trump has no reason to be involved in a case like this. So why is he? Distraction? Trying to curry favor with the military for a coup?

Whatever it is you can be sure it is to benefit him

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

But think about the motives here. Trump has no reason to be involved in a case like this. So why is he? Distraction? Trying to curry favor with the military for a coup?

I think he's doing everything he can to make it appear that he fully supports the military to keep their vote.  Worst case scenario they would hopefully support him in a coup. But, obviously, we hope this never gets to that.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think he's doing everything he can to make it appear that he fully supports the military to keep their vote.  Worst case scenario they would hopefully support him in a coup. But, obviously, we hope this never gets to that.

Why?

Trump has:

• Routinely stolen charity funds meant for veterans (the most recent judgement against him that he had to pay restitution for) or promised to donate to various veteran-based charities and never actually donated anything
  • Has failed to fix problems with the VA (per veterans I talk to regularly)
  • Pissed off General Mattis and treated him like garbage (who is revered in many military circles)
  • Called a Purple Heart recipient and decorated Army officer a traitor
  • Denigrated John McCain repeatedly, even after his death and to where fellow Republicans were telling him to STFU
  • Had repeatedly prevented funding of veteran housing for soldiers with PTSD and/or suicidal tendencies. 
  • Lied/cheated to get out of military service

The only soldiers that would support Trump in a coup would be the racist, ignorant soldiers that are an embarrassing stain on the military, not unlike the pardoned SEAL (remember--accepting a pardon means you're accepting guilt for said crime). And I'd like to think the number of decent, hard-working, non-racist soldiers out there that remember Russia is an enemy would outnumber the POS soldiers that would support vermin like Trump. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

Why?

Trump has:

• Routinely stolen charity funds meant for veterans (the most recent judgement against him that he had to pay restitution for) or promised to donate to various veteran-based charities and never actually donated anything
  • Pissed off General Mattis and treated him like garbage (who is revered in many military circles)
  • Denigrated John McCain repeatedly, even after his death and to where fellow Republicans were telling him to STFU
  • Had repeatedly prevented funding of veteran housing for soldiers with PTSD and/or suicidal tendencies. 

The only soldiers that would support Trump in a coup would be the racist, ignorant soldiers that are an embarrassing stain on the military, not unlike the pardoned SEAL (remember--accepting a pardon means you're accepting guilt for said crime). And I'd like to think the number of decent, hard-working, non-racist soldiers out there that remember Russia is an enemy would outnumber the POS soldiers that would support vermin like Trump. 

Trump hopes they would support him because he 'has their backs' even though he doesn't. Mercury in retrograde might be a real thing, there has been alot of misunderstanding today

13 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Why?

Trump has:

Not sure I worded the sentence you asked about very well.

A coup in this country would be the absolute worst result fo this mess we find ourselves in.  

I personally have no clue why the military would support him.  I would view him as the worst type of leader if I were in the military.  He's someone who was too chicken s#!t to serve himself when his country called on him and at the same time, he has the big tough guy attitude where he's said he's willing to send the military in to many places around the world where our military people would probably die for a certain cause.....and, many of those causes aren't necessarily in our country's best interest.

As I was seeing clips this morning of his FL "Coming Home" rally it made me think what is it that makes people seek out the opportunity to be there?  So I looked up herd mentality and found some interesting articles.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/after-service/201705/the-science-behind-why-people-follow-the-crowd

It also touches upon the importance of words like; "best" "greatest" etc - know anybody that uses those a lot?

6 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

As I was seeing clips this morning of his FL "Coming Home" rally it made me think what is it that makes people seek out the opportunity to be there?  So I looked up heard mentality and found some interesting articles.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/after-service/201705/the-science-behind-why-people-follow-the-crowd

It also touches upon the importance of words like; "best" "greatest" etc - know anybody that uses those a lot?

I do this in class...the stats are amazing as far as the # of people that answer incorrectly to follow the group.

• Thanks 2
22 hours ago, NM11046 said:

As I was seeing clips this morning of his FL "Coming Home" rally it made me think what is it that makes people seek out the opportunity to be there?  So I looked up herd mentality and found some interesting articles.

“You would do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own.”

George Carlin had a lot of great things to say about this. There are better videos of his than this one on the topic but I’m lazy. 

Every day, I'm more and more convinced society will look back upon the Trump campaign/presidency and study it as a cult.

Racism. Corruption. Incompetence. Election interference. Pardons. Obstruction. Monetary policy. Abuse of power. Lies. Absolute immunity. Narcissism. Unhinged incoherence. Sexual assaults. Foreign policy. Witness intimidation. Tax returns.

The cult cheers and defends. It truly doesn't matter the act, just that their cult leader did it.

It is just weird. And deeply troubling.

• Plus1 3