Kicking Game

3 hours ago, Salsa Red said:

I wonder if they drop pickering after the season and go for a new kicker. He struggled early last year and he was a part of the reason for our 0-6 start last year. He came on strong late last year and his kicks helped in the win vs MI state. In his 1.5 seasons he's only been an effective kicker for half a season. He seems like a great young man but he just can't be trusted to do his job.

And bring in another Freshman kicker expecting them to be perfect?

Pickering is fine. I dont mind if they want to bring in another scholarship kicker for next year to either offer depth/competition or even have that person handle kickoffs.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Old Nebraska Guy said:

Something else to consider, especially for freshman kickers, is that the width of the college goalposts is nearly five feet narrower than the high school goalpost.  All of McCallum's kicks so far would have been good with a high school goal.

Except for the NW game winner, which would've been blocked in a high school game. That thing was miraculous. 

Pickering is serviceable if he's healthy. Not much use worrying about it unless he's out for good. Punting is actually more of a concern to me for next year.

Armstrong is averaging 43.10 yards per punt which is 45th in the country. We also can't kick the ball in the endzone on kickoffs without a stiff wind at our back and are extremely flat.

Either those both need to improve or we need to look at bringing in someone new.

54 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't know about "usually", but Kyle Larson (punter), Brett Maher, and Spencer Lindsay were Husker kickers from Kearney in recent history.

We need to restore the kicker pipeline from Kearney... and the tailback pipeline from Omaha... and the fullback pipeline from Butler County in case we want to use them... and the OL pipeline from 8 man football teams :)      

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

36 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

At this point wouldn't it be smart to have Pickering sit one more game? Or at least make sure he only plays 4 total games and not 5 

Maybe Wisconsin, but not any game we feel like we should win. He could have been the difference against Colorado, although the way we were imploding it might not have made a difference.