Frost Installing Osborne's Playbook

The Dude

53 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

Pulling the plug on a kid that was getting preseason Heisman talk seems more extreme.  Just to make sure I’m clear I’m not saying that we go back to the old Nebraska offense I’m saying that we run that more and flat out run the ball more and give Adrian more passing Friendly situations until he gets his head straight

This. The problems appear to be systemic and now is not the right time to pull the plug on Martinez. 

5 hours ago, husker98 said:

it never went away, it just modernized. Oregon ran option out of spread sets, thats what we are supposed to be doing these days but we suck at it. Military academy style option, and then pistol, nevada style option. We kinda ran it with Bo but Beck didn't really understand it so we sucked at it when playing against good teams. 

So yea the option was never taboo, it just took on a new look. However peterson/perleman did a good job of getting people to beleive it was outdated, which was funny cuz that was at the same time as nevada and oregon were beginning to really take off.

I agree, I think the same ingredients(up front)  are needed to be successful in today's version that the Husker Had in the past,  a strong o-line that can pull  and move.  The boys of the past were much more then just bulldozers that could deliver three yards and a cloud of dust.  

2 hours ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

So now imagine this. Nebraska starts the game and has success with the spread. The defense adjusts, and then Nebraska adjust the I form and what we saw on that drive. 

Seriously, I think that would be a nightmare to prep for.

Totally agree. But I think it's still fair to say that it's predicated on Martinez actually being a dual threat guy - meaning that he's actually a threat when he's throwing, not just running.

Because otherwise, when the defense starts blitzing, if he doesn't have the poise to stand tall in the pocket with good footwork and throw the ball well in passing situations we become one-dimensional.

7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I don't see the I-formantion ever becoming our bread and butter.  We need to get the OL established to make it successful.  Right now our OL is suffering.  But also the overall team speed needs to improve.  It seems to me that OSU's speed beat us to the corner on at least one of the option plays.  It will all take time - but I like the idea of mixing some of the old with the new.  No one prepares for the option anymore and it would throw the wrinkle of uncertainty at the D.  BUTTTTT -  our players can't be uncertain either.  We still need to know who we are - recruit and train towards that identity and execute accordingly.  We can't do the square peg into a round hole thing. 

Boob Davies has a quote along the lines of The coaching graveyard is stocked with those who dabbled in the option.

This offense worked for Army vs Michigan, but ultimately fell short. This isn't what you choose to be your main brand of football in 2019. True things come back into style and as defenses are all built to stop the spread now, bringing this power I football back certainly could cause confusion, but once it's stopped, it is stopped. We don't have the offensive lineman to run this type of offense the entire game, and we certainly don't have an offensive line with the attitude needed to run this for an entire game. Bringing this into the playbook would be good for a drive or two just to switch it up and also give opponents more to prepare for during practice week.

I guess what I don't particularly get is why Nebraska doesn't run what Frost ran at Oregon? Oregon's entire scheme was to give them an advantage as they were undersized and under talented. That tempo, that smoke and mirror offense leveled the playing field. I haven't seen us go much tempo this season except for portions of the second half in the Illinois game and it actually worked really well, it wore them down. Granted, Oregon's problem with that offense was it was never going to beat the big dogs of the Big Ten or SEC, because when you go full committal to that style, you lose out on big strong offensive lineman. But I don't see why Nebraska can't do this style of play as they slowly build the needed offensive line for a more dominant offense in the future.

Maybe it goes back to defenses all built to stop the spread now which also stops the tempo, but I think you go blur, or whatever they called it, and run the weaker competition off the field. Sure we'd lose to the bigger teams, but until we got that O-Line, we aren't beating the big dogs of the Big Ten anyways.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Totally agree. But I think it's still fair to say that it's predicated on Martinez actually being a dual threat guy - meaning that he's actually a threat when he's throwing, not just running.

Because otherwise, when the defense starts blitzing, if he doesn't have the poise to stand tall in the pocket with good footwork and throw the ball well in passing situations we become one-dimensional.

Oh absolutely. Adrian has to elevate his play and it's odd how he's regressed from last year. I wonder if teams are throwing more zone looks at him.

Just now, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Oh absolutely. Adrian has to elevate his play and it's odd how he's regressed from last year. I wonder if teams are throwing more zone looks at him.

He looks hesitant to run, maybe its because of the injury last year and maybe it's because he's expected to be a better passer and not rely just on his legs due to higher risk of injury, but that hesitation on running has hurt him. When he just plays loose and runs, he's extremely tough. He showed shades of it in the Illinoi comeback and against Colorado. 

Dude just needs the green light to run.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

He looks hesitant to run, maybe its because of the injury last year and maybe it's because he's expected to be a better passer and not rely just on his legs due to higher risk of injury, but that hesitation on running has hurt him. When he just plays loose and runs, he's extremely tough. He showed shades of it in the Illinoi comeback and against Colorado. 

Dude just needs the green light to run.

I think that's a big part of his issues....he's worried about what he's supposed to be taking the next step whatever bs you want to call it vs just playing....I think last year he just played