***Official QB Controversy Thread***

3 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

QB controversys are fun.  At Iowa State we used to have four or five of them a year.  Kept an otherwise dismal season interesting and the fan base at each other's throats for months.  Big fun!

Don’t worry-there’s not an actual controversy. 

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

Please clear the cobwebs for me.  How do people "know" that AM is that much better at QB than NV ?  Yes, he should be better as he clearly won the job and he clearly was the guy last year too, and finally Scotty Frosty says he is better, but.......how do we truly know?  NV has never played 4 quarters and was behind a heck of a lot better QB at UCF but even then saw the field at times.  If you are truly going to be honest, we don't know what NV will do in a full 4 quarter game and he could be great, he could be average, could even be a flop but as a fan base we JUST DONT KNOW.

No, we don’t. But personally, I trust the HC (a former quarterback who led his team to a NC) who has a history of coaching and developing great quarterbacks. You’ll get a chance to form your opinion on Saturday, I’m sure.

9 minutes ago, HuskerPwr said:

No, we don’t. But personally, I trust the HC (a former quarterback who led his team to a NC) who has a history of coaching and developing great quarterbacks. You’ll get a chance to form your opinion on Saturday, I’m sure.

The "problem" is I fully expect Vedral to perform very well and that will not quiet the people who want Martinez benched. It's not a real problem because we'd all love for Vedral to do well! Just going to be annoying to hear about one big performance even if Martinez would've performed well in the same situation.

Minnesota's defense is worse than OSU/NW, and I think the coaches are finally at a point where they have to rotate in some new skill guys. I think whoever plays QB will have a big game, but the Martinez critics will conveniently ignore the difference in defenses/surrounding player performance and insist Vedral is the guy. 

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The "problem" is I fully expect Vedral to perform very well and that will not quiet the people who want Martinez benched. It's not a real problem because we'd all love for Vedral to do well! Just going to be annoying to hear about free big performance even if Martinez would've performed well in the same situation.

Minnesota's defense is worse than OSU/NW, and I think the coaches are finally at a point where they have to rotate in some new skill guys. I think whoever plays QB will have a big game, but the Martinez critics will conveniently ignore the difference in defenses/surrounding player performance and insist Vedral is the guy. 

I’ve been thinking this too. I’d much rather that than the alternative of him playing terribly, of course. We’re fortunate to have a backup QB who has actually been in Frost’s system longer than our starting QB.  

First off, let me start by saying that I really hope that Adrian Martinez is fully recovered come game time this Saturday. However, if he is not ready and needs more time to heal, it will not be the end of world. I believe that Vedral is more than capable of leading the Huskers to a victory. He plays with energy, he is decisive, and he can throw well when he needs to. There is a reason Frost recruited him in the first place. What I definitely do not want is another slow start by Martinez that puts us in a hole early and Frost being stubborn about giving Vedral a chance.

7 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

First off, let me start by saying that I really hope that Adrian Martinez is fully recovered come game time this Saturday. However, if he is not ready and needs more time to heal, it will not be the end of world. I believe that Vedral is more than capable of leading the Huskers to a victory. He plays with energy, he is decisive, and he can throw well when he needs to. There is a reason Frost recruited him in the first place. What I definitely do not want is another slow start by Martinez that puts us in a hole early and Frost being stubborn about giving Vedral a chance.

One thing Noah said in the presser about his performance was that he "went fast".  Said Frost wants his QB's to make decisions and be decisive.  In the limited plays this season, Noah does appear to be more decisive than Martinez.  It could be that Noah just makes one read and cuts loose.  Or being in year 3 of the system, he has it down cold and truly progresses through the reads much faster.  Regardless, for the first time in a long time we have good depth.  I'd like to see what he can do.  

I'd like for Martinez to be 100% before he plays again.  He already appears less sure of his running this year. I am sure that a hurt knee/ankle would only add to his hesitancy.  We need everyone to get through Minnie and have the bye week to heal up....

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

One thing Noah said in the presser about his performance was that he "went fast".  Said Frost wants his QB's to make decisions and be decisive.  In the limited plays this season, Noah does appear to be more decisive than Martinez.  It could be that Noah just makes one read and cuts loose.  Or being in year 3 of the system, he has it down cold and truly progresses through the reads much faster.  Regardless, for the first time in a long time we have good depth.  I'd like to see what he can do.  

I'd like for Martinez to be 100% before he plays again.  He already appears less sure of his running this year. I am sure that a hurt knee/ankle would only add to his hesitancy.  We need everyone to get through Minnie and have the bye week to heal up....

It's a pretty fine line with QBs.  You want them to make good, quick decisions.  But you also have to let plays develop and trust your blocking.  And also if you pull the ball down and immediately look to run, you might miss a receiver who comes open late.  Thus you always hear people talk about QBs keeping their eyes downfield as they start to scramble.

I do think Martinez may be a bit over that line this year.  He is waiting too long and then doesn't take off hard when he feels pressure.  I do think it's mainly just because he is actually doing a good job still looking downfield.  But he seems to need to speed up his clock a count or two.  By contrast, I thought Vedral might have been a little too quick to get out of the pocket and check it down.  On his second or third play he took about half a second looking at two or three receivers then started to scramble left before flaring it out to Mills.  The problem was he really wasn't under any pressure yet so he had a little more time to let things develop.  And then when he threw it to Mills, he caught it about 8 yards behind the line and ended up losing three.  So that wasn't that great of an option either.

Like I said, it's a pretty fine line.  And we don't seem to be finding it enough this year.

• Plus1 4
7 hours ago, Mavric said:

It's a pretty fine line with QBs.  You want them to make good, quick decisions.  But you also have to let plays develop and trust your blocking.  And also if you pull the ball down and immediately look to run, you might miss a receiver who comes open late.  Thus you always hear people talk about QBs keeping their eyes downfield as they start to scramble.

I do think Martinez may be a bit over that line this year.  He is waiting too long and then doesn't take off hard when he feels pressure.  I do think it's mainly just because he is actually doing a good job still looking downfield.  But he seems to need to speed up his clock a count or two.  By contrast, I thought Vedral might have been a little too quick to get out of the pocket and check it down.  On his second or third play he took about half a second looking at two or three receivers then started to scramble left before flaring it out to Mills.  The problem was he really wasn't under any pressure yet so he had a little more time to let things develop.  And then when he threw it to Mills, he caught it about 8 yards behind the line and ended up losing three.  So that wasn't that great of an option either.

Like I said, it's a pretty fine line.  And we don't seem to be finding it enough this year.

The times he's played this year he does see to progress REALLY fast or, as you said, hit the check down.  I am wondering if his few runs were designed, option or just improvising.  He appears to not mind tucking his head and taking off.  

I am sure this has been addressed, but the real positive with Vedral running the offense is that he knows Frost's system very well given all the time he's worked in it at UCF and now Nebraska. With that we should probably see some tempo and fast paced offense, which, given our lack of talent on the offensive line, could be a way for us to get an advantage as we go up against these bigger more talented defenses. 

4 hours ago, lo country said:

The times he's played this year he does see to progress REALLY fast or, as you said, hit the check down.  I am wondering if his few runs were designed, option or just improvising.  He appears to not mind tucking his head and taking off.  

I'm pretty sure every one of Vedral's runs Saturday were called QB runs.

I'm sure we'll see actual reads this week.

• Plus1 3

From the practice report it sounds like both Martinez and Spielman will be ready to go. They’ll be able to perform their normal duties, but the question still remains.... with their nagging injuries, will they be able to dunk?

Will they be able to get up the necessary 10-11 feet?

I say the coach should hold them out until they’re able to do what’s expected of them.

• Plus1 1