Slo-Mo version of the game-winning kick

knapplc

48 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

Need to go ahead and eliminate contact with the long snapper all together during field goals. Extremely dangerous for the neck

I agree.  I actually thought that was the rule, but that may be for punts.  It's very hard to judge that the rushers up the middle are taking a second to wait before making contact with the long-snapper.  It could be argued that those rushers are making contact with the guards first, and then moving into the center.  It seems very challenging to officiate, especially if a team does block a kick, and then have it overturned by a penalty.

1 hour ago, Swiv3D said:

Need to go ahead and eliminate contact with the long snapper all together during field goals. Extremely dangerous for the neck

Or at least until they lift their head. I always thought that was the rule. The one second thing seems stupid for the defense and the snapper.

3 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

I have always wondered why coaches dont go out and find 2 or 3, 6'8" + dudes and offer them partial schollies or walk on perks simply to just come out and line up and jump up and block kicks...they dont even have to be all that athletic...get the back up center from bball team or whatever.

I’ve always wondered why coaches don’t have the kickers kick from 10 yards back (instead of 7) on kicks which are basically chip shots. I understand it creates a challenge for the snapper, but an extra 3 yards would enable the kicker to get the ball up and over a block in the middle and create more distance from blockers coming off the edge. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’ve always wondered why coaches don’t have the kickers kick from 10 yards back (instead of 7) on kicks which are basically chip shots. I understand it creates a challenge for the snapper, but an extra 3 yards would enable the kicker to get the ball up and over a block in the middle and create more distance from blockers coming off the edge. 

Wonder if 7 yards has been determined to be the most optimal angle to block your outside rushers for your end guys...maybe anything more gives them more of a straight line to rush the kick instead of having to turn an angle to get there

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

Wonder if 7 yards has been determined to be the most optimal angle to block your outside rushers for your end guys...maybe anything more gives them more of a straight line to rush the kick instead of having to turn an angle to get there

7 yards is the minimum per the rule book.  NFL seems to have generally gone to 8.

It would probably be easier for guys to run around the end and block it if you go farther back.  The (slightly) increased distance would be more than offset by being able to run in more of a straight line instead of around a corner.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

7 yards is the minimum per the rule book.  NFL seems to have generally gone to 8.

It would probably be easier for guys to run around the end and block it if you go farther back.  The (slightly) increased distance would be more than offset by being able to run in more of a straight line instead of around a corner.

If I was a college coach I'd do what the NFL does for kicks, because they have the $ to pay people to figure this out.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree.  I actually thought that was the rule, but that may be for punts.  It's very hard to judge that the rushers up the middle are taking a second to wait before making contact with the long-snapper.  It could be argued that those rushers are making contact with the guards first, and then moving into the center.  It seems very challenging to officiate, especially if a team does block a kick, and then have it overturned by a penalty.

I would guess that's why the rule is written the way it is.  It would be tough to totally eliminate it because of all the jostling that goes on.  The defense would probably have to all be outside the guard to prevent sliding into the snapper on accident.  One second is supposed to keep them from charging directly into him and give him a little chance to protect himself.

• Plus1 1