a few things i'mreally having issues with.

thatguy

let me start by saying I LIKE FROST. i want him to win here, and i think he will. but in my opinion, i think the issues with this team boil down to one thing: just being intentional about exactly what it is you want to see as a coach. that's what separates good/great coaches from the rest. i'm not sure we are being intentional about the simple things, and its showing.

- correction in practice. if practice is as high tempo as it supposedly is, how much time do they actually spend teaching and correcting? i'm pretty sure someone said last year that they actively do not spend time correcting, but rather, they focus on reps, and address corrections in the film room. maybe we need to adjust that a bit.

- player management. i don't think it's right for anyone to say they have no talent on this team. there is talent. but inexplicably, you only have wandale, spielman, and martinez, with a regressing washington and a limited mills. i find it hard to believe that those are the only guys we've been able to get ready, in spite of injuries. it's not right that you can't play other guys until someone gets hurt. that's just not going to work. there's no way in heck that guys will be ready when their number is called. 

- coaches keep talking about waiting for playmakers to make play. that just doesn't sound right to me. i submit that if you are "waiting" for these playmakers, then that means you are not actively preparing them mentally and physically to perform when the lights are brightest. that needs to change. i know players play, coaches coach, but ultimately, there is something to be said for making sure players are ready to be fundamentally football players. these players haven't looked ready to play in any game this season, except maybe south alabama.

- coaching leadership. every week this season, the head coach has mentioned one player, and in most cases, mentioned a specific point of emphasis, and then another coach has come out and said something opposite, or the things the head coach mentions just shown up on gameday. the staff can be as close knit and familial as they want, but ultimately, i still contend that they aren't all on the same page. something is going on that we won't hear about. i can cite examples, but my post is too long already.

- being too cute, outhinking yourself, making adjustments in game. nothing more needs to be said. sometimes you have to move away from part of your gameplan in game or in season, really. you have to be humble enough to do so sometimes.

- you can't always coach effort, but you definitely don't have to allow poor effort either. this head coach said last year that there was no difference between "you can't" and "you won't". well, time to field only players who are willing. at least, that means we will have one of those two.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

1 minute ago, thatguy said:

let me start by saying I LIKE FROST. i want him to win here, and i think he will. but in my opinion, i think the issues with this team boil down to one thing: just being intentional about exactly what it is you want to see as a coach. that's what separates good/great coaches from the rest. i'm not sure we are being intentional about the simple things, and its showing.

- correction in practice. if practice is as high tempo as it supposedly is, how much time do they actually spend teaching and correcting? i'm pretty sure someone said last year that they actively do not spend time correcting, but rather, they focus on reps, and address corrections in the film room. maybe we need to adjust that a bit.

- player management. i don't think it's right for anyone to say they have no talent on this team. there is talent. but inexplicably, you only have wandale, spielman, and martinez, with a regressing washington and a limited mills. i find it hard to believe that those are the only guys we've been able to get ready, in spite of injuries. it's not right that you can't play other guys until someone gets hurt. that's just not going to work. there's no way in heck that guys will be ready when their number is called. 

- coaches keep talking about waiting for playmakers to make play. that just doesn't sound right to me. i submit that if you are "waiting" for these playmakers, then that means you are not actively preparing them mentally and physically to perform when the lights are brightest. that needs to change. i know players play, coaches coach, but ultimately, there is something to be said for making sure players are ready to be fundamentally football players. these players haven't looked ready to play in any game this season, except maybe south alabama.

- coaching leadership. every week this season, the head coach has mentioned one player, and in most cases, mentioned a specific point of emphasis, and then another coach has come out and said something opposite, or the things the head coach mentions just shown up on gameday. the staff can be as close knit and familial as they want, but ultimately, i still contend that they aren't all on the same page. something is going on that we won't hear about. i can cite examples, but my post is too long already.

- being too cute, outhinking yourself, making adjustments in game. nothing more needs to be said. sometimes you have to move away from part of your gameplan in game or in season, really. you have to be humble enough to do so sometimes.

- you can't always coach effort, but you definitely don't have to allow poor effort either. this head coach said last year that there was no difference between "you can't" and "you won't". well, time to field only players who are willing. at least, that means we will have one of those two.

You don't think Frost is doing a good job. I agree.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I will say this, im used to seeing up tempo football ran like 70% of the time for the better teams and we just dont run it alot it seems.  I though high tempo was intended to be used most of the time.

I don't mind growing pains. What disturbs me is how far they've regressed from last season. 

• Plus1 3

With the new 4 game redshirt rule, I'm almost surprised a few really bad teams aren't trying the wholesale redshirt thing...Like we used to do with Freshmen...Only with everyone that's eligible for it..Play your 4th string the first 4 games, 3rd string the second 4 games...etc with your walk-ons and those that already used up their redshirts helping fill out positions all season.

The Offensive line should be good next year,  I mean the whole interior of the line is in there first year of starting.  It takes games not practices to get the unit to mesh and be there best together, plus they are replacing veteran players.  When Jurgens gets control of his snaping and stepping to the side, this unit will allow Martinez to be the QB everyone thinks he should be this year just because it is his 2nd year.  

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, Clink-beard said:

The Offensive line should be good next year,  I mean the whole interior of the line is in there first year of starting.  It takes games not practices to get the unit to mesh and be there best together, plus they are replacing veteran players.  When Jurgens gets control of his snaping and stepping to the side, this unit will allow Martinez to be the QB everyone thinks he should be this year just because it is his 2nd year.  

This is all assuming that new 32 gallon bong they just delivered to the football dorm doesn't screw things up.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Jaimes (average recruit), Hixson (a walk-on), Jurgens (a tight end), Wilson (not 700 player), Farniok (good recruit but he's a guard). Is Raridon that bad? Is Benhart or Piper good enough to play as freshmen? Bando? 

Seems like they're running this patchwork o line and holding out for next year.
But they could also just be bad coaches who don't know best.
The defense might just need to recalibrate and get another big man on the line so we're not meeting runners 5 yards upfield and getting pushed around. They look like they're giving effort but just getting outmanned 5-3 with little help from the LB's. And we're never in the opponents backfield anymore....they could run the quadruple reverse.

• Plus1 1