QB thoughts

17 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I’m starting to see Verduzco getting criticism as if he somehow became a bad QB Coach this year. I’m not sure why Martinez is having a sophomore slump, but yesterday his backups went 20/23 for 294, 1 TD & 0 INT through the air and had a combined 19 carries for 97 yds & 2 TDs yesterday. Vedral also made that nice catch from Speilman. They are all in Verduzco’s QB room.

Very good point.  And all that behind a poor offensive line as well.

• Fire 1

McCaffrey worries me a little bit running. He’s a little timid going into contact. Slows up, kind of like AM has been doing this year. It’s a good way to really get hammered. Hopefully as his confidence grows he’ll attack the defender a little more......or just slide. Just don’t slow up and stand up. He’s also only in his second year asa full time QB, the Valor QB his junior year I believe went to Stanford. His growth as a QB could (and probably will) really explode. 

But in the meantime, or until AM is ready, I’m comply comfortable with Vedral taking the snaps. I don’t know what happened on the fumble play, missed assignment or just a case of them having the perfect defensive play call ((that does happen on occasion too)), but I can’t think of too many QB’s who could have escaped that. He was on him so quickly, the ball hitting his knee was one of those things that just happen. But I think he can run our offense just fine. 

In my opinion, we have three very capable QB that are playing their hearts out. Our issue is not at the QB position. Our issues are

(1) an OL that is made up of a bunch of girls that can’t push a fly off the way

(2) a defense that looks completely lost and out of position on every play

(3) special teams that are anything but special, and

(4) coaches that are completely clueless as to what is needed to get this team ready to be competitive

the fact that we continue to play undisciplined stupid football and keep committing fouls that kill our drives and momentum is a clear sign that absolutely zero progress has been made since last year. This team has quit already and do not even care about going to a bowl. Except for a handful of players that are responsible for our 4 wins, the rest are a disgrace to Husker Football. We have become an irrelevant bottom feeder that every team crosses their game with us as a win. Apparently, the Vegas computers have underestimated how horrible we really are. At this point, I do not even see Frost as being confident when he says that things will get better which implies that there is a lot of hidden problems that he is not sharing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, 3rd and long said:

McCaffrey worries me a little bit running. He’s a little timid going into contact. Slows up, kind of like AM has been doing this year. It’s a good way to really get hammered. Hopefully as his confidence grows he’ll attack the defender a little more......or just slide. Just don’t slow up and stand up. He’s also only in his second year asa full time QB, the Valor QB his junior year I believe went to Stanford. His growth as a QB could (and probably will) really explode. 

But in the meantime, or until AM is ready, I’m comply comfortable with Vedral taking the snaps. I don’t know what happened on the fumble play, missed assignment or just a case of them having the perfect defensive play call ((that does happen on occasion too)), but I can’t think of too many QB’s who could have escaped that. He was on him so quickly, the ball hitting his knee was one of those things that just happen. But I think he can run our offense just fine. 

It looked like Vedral had enough time to secure the ball and take the sack, but decided to try to pass it forward.  Unfortunately, it hit his knee first.  I like our QBs.  Unfortunately, I think they aren't going to be much better in the turnover department as most our QBs the last 20 years.  Our entire offense is one big turnover and penalty machine which can negate good performances, especially with a bad defense.

3 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

It looked like Vedral had enough time to secure the ball and take the sack, but decided to try to pass it forward.  Unfortunately, it hit his knee first.  I like our QBs.  Unfortunately, I think they aren't going to be much better in the turnover department as most our QBs the last 20 years.  Our entire offense is one big turnover and penalty machine which can negate good performances, especially with a bad defense.

Can’t disagree. That’s why I wish we wouldn’t worry so much about playing fast all the time. Really efficient “fast” teams are extremely well disciplined. They don’t set up in illegal formations and have numerous false starts. At this point I’d be all for slowing down just a bit so everyone is on the same page. I’d rather slowly go four yards, four yards, four yards as opposed to seven yards, back five, no gain, and four yards. Unfortunately we seem to do a lot of the latter, especially just when it seems we’re starting to put something together. 

At this point, I think it would be kind of foolish to burn McCaffrey's RS unless we just absolutely have to.  He's only played QB for one season in high school and needs time to develop and to put a few more pounds of good weight on.  He's a project but it looks like there could be a lot of upside to him.  As far as Martinez and Vedral go, I have to honestly say that Vedral has probably looked better this year, which I can't believe I'm saying.  I was really high on Martinez.  Before the season started, I couldn't think of another QB in the country I would have rather had to run our system.  Now I wonder if he is actually the best that we have on this roster.  Vedral just seems to be more decisive.  Pretty baffling. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, 7071949597 said:

At this point, I think it would be kind of foolish to burn McCaffrey's RS unless we just absolutely have to.  He's only played QB for one season in high school and needs time to develop and to put a few more pounds of good weight on.  He's a project but it looks like there could be a lot of upside to him.  As far as Martinez and Vedral go, I have to honestly say that Vedral has probably looked better this year, which I can't believe I'm saying.  I was really high on Martinez.  Before the season started, I couldn't think of another QB in the country I would have rather had to run our system.  Now I wonder if he is actually the best that we have on this roster.  Vedral just seems to be more decisive.  Pretty baffling. 

Coaches have absolutely no intention of burning the shirt. I bet we would see Matt Masker before McCaffrey burned his shirt.

• Fire 1

Our Qb situation is a good one to have, but could result in being an uncomfortable one going into next season if Amart doesn't turn the corner and get noticablly better than either Vedral or Luke.  I posted another thread, but why aren't or didn't we go get the best or close to the best JUCO offensive line players the last two seasons to help with that area.  Why don't we do it now?  Sure, keep recruiting the best available HS players, but this allow those to either RS or learn with less pressure.

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

Our Qb situation is a good one to have, but could result in being an uncomfortable one going into next season if Amart doesn't turn the corner and get noticablly better than either Vedral or Luke.  I posted another thread, but why aren't or didn't we go get the best or close to the best JUCO offensive line players the last two seasons to help with that area.  Why don't we do it now?  Sure, keep recruiting the best available HS players, but this allow those to either RS or learn with less pressure.

We had the number 1 guard in JUCO committed, but he didn't make his grades. 

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

I thought he was running pretty tough, considering his size. Not Wandale tough, but still tough. 

He slowed up noticeably several times just before contact. 

Im not dogging on the kid by any means, I thought he did great and has a great  future. It just concerns me because that is when guys really get belted.