QB thoughts

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Did JD even play the first half?  Is he in the doghouse? I just assume that if I don't see someone for a half they pissed off Frost

He had a 45 yard catch to set up one of the first two TDs

Our QBs only threw 22 passes.  JD had 5 catches, Wan'Dale had 6.  We barely threw to anyone else.  There just weren't a lot to go around.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I guess I think about this different. This season is shot save all the redshirts you can. Get them four games and shut them down no reason to waste a year of eligibility for this mess. 

But if we truly believe Frost is the guy for the future, we should have a pipeline of talent with every recruiting class from here on out. So if the freshman this year graduate in 2022 instead of 2023...who cares. The recruits in 2020 and 2021 should be able to pick up the slack. 

I dont want Year Three of the Frost Regime to be another learning year all over again.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

But if we truly believe Frost is the guy for the future, we should have a pipeline of talent with every recruiting class from here on out. So if the freshman this year graduate in 2022 instead of 2023...who cares. The recruits in 2020 and 2021 should be able to pick up the slack. 

I dont want Year Three of the Frost Regime to be another learning year all over again.

I don't disagree with you I just think it's better to get them 4 games of experience and have another four years, but you make a good point too. 

41 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Every year that chin is here will be a learning year since he has no idea what he's doing.

• Thanks 1

Bowl practices are useful to rep the underclassmen and give them more coaching.  We're in a position where going to a bowl is unlikely.  If we want to get out of this mess we need to play as many underclassmen as possible regardless if we burn some redshirts.  We can't let the current starters lack of effort keep us from building the program.

53 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Redshirting is most important in the places we lack right now, OL and LB.

4 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

I know that Indiana "didn't prepare for McCaffrey", but he looks good.   Not sure who should start when everyone is healthy, but sure is nice to see a competent backup.

They say he does but I don't think he knows the whole package....too many QB scrambles for me to believe that. But I agree, he looked damn good. The guy coming next year , Logan Smothers looks good too.

Just now, Hayseed said:

They say he does but I don't think he knows the whole package....too many QB scrambles for me to believe that. But I agree, he looked damn good. The guy coming next year , Logan Smothers looks good too.

It's tough to argue against him knowing pretty much all the offense.  Coaches have commented about that since long before they were expecting him to play this many meaningful snaps.

But I have seen reports that he's still a work in progress as far as where to go with the ball.  Which is related but different.  He might know the plays but making good, quick decisions is still not there yet.  Tends to throw INTs in practice is the report.

So he might know the entire offense but being trusted to run it all in a game is a different thing.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's tough to argue against him knowing pretty much all the offense.  Coaches have commented about that since long before they were expecting him to play this many meaningful snaps.

But I have seen reports that he's still a work in progress as far as where to go with the ball.  Which is related but different.  He might know the plays but making good, quick decisions is still not there yet.  Tends to throw INTs in practice is the report.

So he might know the entire offense but being trusted to run it all in a game is a different thing.

That makes sense...he tucks and runs too much because he's not seeing the receivers....they must get lonely out there.

Qb play is ok right now.  Our problem is not with QB play, its every where else and more.  I am not a "run the damn ball kind of guy" but when you don't get enough from your ground game, it makes anyone playing QB look worse than what he is.  We have one or two receivers who can go down field and make plays, but thats it.  We need more speed and skill set from that position.  Our O-line doesn't sustain long enough to allow some of our receivers to get open.  

Odds are we lose someone at QB to the transfer portal.  It won't be Vedral, so figure that out.  I just dont see any reason why Amart or Luke would want to sit around for two more seasons of this.  Honestly, we don't need more QB's right now.  Focus on the other positions.  Who knew that Colorado game would loom this largely down the stretch.

Yeah we lost but this wasn't some super team to begin with and that's going back several seasons even before Frost got here.   Best part of today though was seeing McCaffrey finally get some sigificant pt.  I'd like to see how he does in the passing game more (5-6 today) and he made those 76 rushing yards look easy for a freshman QB getting his first real true pt I thought.

If it weren't for his RS situation with AM hurt I actually wish he were our starter from here on out.  Vedral makes some good throws here and there but still just feels like a serviceable quarterback to me.     

I’m starting to see Verduzco getting criticism as if he somehow became a bad QB Coach this year. I’m not sure why Martinez is having a sophomore slump, but yesterday his backups went 20/23 for 294, 1 TD & 0 INT through the air and had a combined 19 carries for 97 yds & 2 TDs yesterday. Vedral also made that nice catch from Speilman. They are all in Verduzco’s QB room.

• Thanks 4
  • Fire 1