Defense Struggles

I am not a coach so I can only express my impressions. 

The defensive backs are good athletes but I don’t like the techniques being taught.  The usually don’t play the ball- normally hands on, grabbing jersies, and eyes into the receiver.  They should be playing the ball more with eyes back to the ball especially when the receiver is going deep.  Marvin Sanders taught receivers to play the ball and be aggressive. 

The defensive line doesn’t push enough pressure on passer in many games.  They miss many tackles- I think it’s because they are too fat.  They can’t move quickly, find it hard to disengage blocks, often taken deep by the blockers and thereby creating running and throwing lanes.  They find it hard to bend over to make tackles at the thigh level so there is no YAC.  

The OC and the LBs have trouble with schemes.  The CBS go deep with the wide outs (looking into the receiver instead where the play is going) and LBs are frozen in the with pass-run thoughts while a back or end slips out in the wide open flat.  Any blitzes are seldom disguised or timed.  The OC seems to be out guessed frequently on going with zone or man.  The offensive line does not seem to penetrate gaps to stop runs for no gain. The ends don’t play like rush ends of old to seal the edges at the offensive tackles outside butt location.  

The offensive lines is seldom effective at interior power running but the OC wastes many downs trying.  The line is not fast enough to seal the edges to get wide runs going especially since we don’t feature fullbacks often.  But when we do, it signals we are going to run.

When are having trouble running, especially inside, we should go to a straight passing game until the defense is forced move men out of the box to defend against the pass.  Then mix it up.  

Oversll, the Huskers are not aggressively playing the ball and are not thinking and playing smart. The only connection the defense of this has to the BLACKSHIRTS of old is the color of the practice Jersey.

A coach once told me that offense is manned by smart, tough, fast and agile players who rehearse plays until they make no mistakes- everything they do is practiced orderly discipline execution.  A great defense is a bunch angry aggressive players who detest good order and discilpine.  Today’s Huskers don’t seem to reflect anything the coach believed.

A famous coach said give 11 guys who want win and I’ll give you a winner,  Give men 11 who hate to lose and I’ll give you a championship.  It’s been some time since we had a team who hated losing.

• Plus1 2

This is the Bob Diaco 3-4: Keep everything in front of you, play your secondary a mile off the ball, and not even close to enough blitzing on obvious passing downs.

I wonder what the f*** it feels like to actually feel confident that on 3rd & long the other team has a small probability of converting. This was like the Purdue game last year except our offense was just a little better...the tale of the game was that we couldn't rush the passer. Over and over and over, Chinander does the same s*** expecting different results.

There isn't enough clever blitzing. Way too much just letting our three big men + Alex Davis try in vain to get to the quarterback. It's terrible football.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

This is the Bob Diaco 3-4: Keep everything in front of you, play your secondary a mile off the ball, and not even close to enough blitzing on obvious passing downs.

I wonder what the f*** it feels like to actually feel confident that on 3rd & long the other team has a small probability of converting. This was like the Purdue game last year except our offense was just a little better...the tale of the game was that we couldn't rush the passer. Over and over and over, Chinander does the same s*** expecting different results.

There isn't enough clever blitzing. Way too much just letting our three big men + Alex Davis try in vain to get to the quarterback. It's terrible football.

I say it every week I just dont understand why alex davis gets playing time. He cant set the edge against the run and cant get after the qb.

34 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

It's the man coverage.  You have to be excellent to play it.  I hate seeing it in college because most guys are not good enough so they get torched or get PI calls.  It's like playing blind.  

Oh, I don't know, Barron Miles, Kareem Moss, Tyrone Williams, Eric Stokes, Mike Minter, Troy Dumas, didn't have no problem with man coverage.

Whats wrong with being excellent?

43 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

Want to redshirt him.

I am tired of watching bootle, in 4 years I don’t think he’s ever learned to look back at the ball when covering.

I don't like to single out amateur players unless it's something good....I'd say they all cover like they're lost and clutching at straws. Their coverage or mauling, whatever it was, was embarrassing.

1 hour ago, FieldHog said:

I wouldn’t put it all on the players. It looks like Avery Roberts is having a great year at Oregon State. Watched the UCLA, STANFORD, and Cal games. He’s balling out! Announcers talk that he is one of the best in the conference and will be on the All PAC-12 team as a sophomore this year.  My understanding was that our coaching staff didn’t think he had the potential, yet he’s performing well. In 6 games he has 43 tackles, 2 sacks, and 4.5 TFL. Makes me think is it really the players, the system or the coaches?

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

This is your speculation, not a source.   Why because they 3 wins & are giving 200 yards a game rushing.   Plus they playing in the cream puff 10.

From https://democratherald.com/corvallis/sports/beavers-sports/football/osu-football-avery-roberts-finds-a-home/article_f25e1266-b9ac-591b-982f-d4214f7c2098.html

Roberts has not played since the 2017 season, when he got in all 12 games for Nebraska at linebacker as a true freshman.

As one of two first-year players to see game action for the Huskers, it looked as if Roberts was on a fast track to a starting spot.

Everything changed when linebackers coach Trent Bray — who recruited Roberts as a four-star player out of Delaware — left Nebraska to return to Oregon State and join Jonathan Smith’s staff.

Roberts found himself dropping in the depth chart.

Barrett Ruud, Nebraska’s new linebackers coach, criticized Roberts’ conditioning at one point and reportedly had him slotted behind four or five other inside linebackers.

Roberts decided to follow Bray to Corvallis. The linebacker agreed that he felt he was getting lost in the

shuffle at Nebraska but chooses to look forward.

“I’m at Oregon State now,” he said. “Pretty much I’ll be somewhere that I know someone has my best interests at heart.”

That person is Bray. Roberts said the linebackers coach brings the best out of his players.

“He wants the best for you and you can tell he cares about his players and he coaches hard,” Roberts said. “He pushes you to be the best you can be.”

The decision was made without a trip to the OSU campus or even a glimpse of Oregon.

“I never visited before, I had never really been to Oregon, so once I got to see everything it was fine,” Roberts said. “It kind of looks the same (as Delaware). It rains here a lot more and it’s hotter in the summer.”

Roberts had to sit out the 2018 season and is ready to go for the Beavers this fall.

He has the potential to be a big addition to the OSU defense, which struggled to stop the run last year.

“Since he’s been here he’s turning into the player that I thought he was going to be when I recruited him out of high school,” Bray said.

“He’s just getting better, he’s learning the position and getting a feel for it. Then just the physicality that he brings, it really improves us and it brings excitement when guys hit people and knock people back. So that’s what he’s really adding to us right now.”

I've been trying to get used to our ''fans'' treating existing (Riley) recruits like a pariah but maybe our coaches have been too.  Writing them off as not fitting the system or all being lazy because of the voluntary workouts...Rather than effectively working with them and adjusting our system to fit the players.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Oh, I don't know, Barron Miles, Kareem Moss, Tyrone Williams, Eric Stokes, Mike Minter, Troy Dumas, didn't have no problem with man coverage.

Whats wrong with being excellent?

did any of those guys play in this century?  In this conference? 

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I agree.  I’m not sold on Chins, but I think D has a severe talent issue.  Domann is by far the best player they have and I’m not convinced he’d start on an elite team.

If all the players flew around and gave the same effort as Domann, I'd have a hard time complaining about the defense (I'm assuming he still does).

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I've been trying to get used to our ''fans'' treating existing (Riley) recruits like a pariah but maybe our coaches have been too.  Writing them off as not fitting the system or all being lazy because of the voluntary workouts...Rather than effectively working with them and adjusting our system to fit the players.

Well said.

If we play this same s***ty brand of defense next year, the narrative will be that "we're a young team." Frost in the post game presser saying that some players aren't tough enough...do you think toughness fixes this soft defensive scheme Chinander runs, Scott? If Chinander can't fix this, Frost needs to.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2