Saban vs Osborne article

TGHusker

While the article speaks much of Osborne and what he accomplished, in the comparison section it leaves out a vital fact:

Osborne did more with lessor ranked players.  Saban has the luxury of being in a recruiting hot bed.  Talent is all around Alabama. 

Tom's task was much more difficult to recruit players to NU. Thus, development was a key to Tom's success.  That is one of the

'hidden' qualities that I think make Tom the better coach.  I'm not saying Tom's teams were devoid of talented recruits, he did

get many skilled players but most of the players had to be developed - through the walk on program or by being 5th year seniors.

It is easier to get the recruits and win the championships when your team is located in a big talent pool area.  Tom did more

with less and I think that is why he was a greater coach.  But I might be a bit bias.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/the-saban-files/tale-of-the-coaching-tape-nick-saban-vs-tom-osborne/

This story ranks Tom as # 4 behind Bear Bryan, Saban, and Rockne

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150coaches/the-150-greatest-coaches-college-football-150-year-history

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple things:

Ohio State is in the midwest.

Tom Osborne inherited a dynasty that went #1, #1, #4 the previous three years. 

The old Big 8 was nowhere near as competitive top to bottom as the current SEC.

Again, better to be honored to have had one of the great college coaches of all time than to invite this kind of argument. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Couple things:

Ohio State is in the midwest.

Tom Osborne inherited a dynasty that went #1, #1, #4 the previous three years. 

The old Big 8 was nowhere near as competitive top to bottom as the current SEC.

Again, better to be honored to have had one of the great college coaches of all time than to invite this kind of argument. 

Agree.  Look our Dynasty was great, at the time the best there had ever been.  But Bama surpassed us.  Our 95' team still me be the best their ever was, but Bama has had 4 or 5 teams very close to that.  Our 97 team was a split, and our 94 was good, but not any better than the average Championship team. What Saban did tops Osbourne.  Top 4 all time is incredible.  

I don't know how it's somehow a positive for Osborne and a negative for Saban that Saban is able to outrecruit circles around Osborne. Being the best recruiter ever doesn't make you a worse college coach it makes you a better one. He still develops the hell out of that talent. 

Also, the SEC and specifically SEC West is so much more than what Osborne ever had to consistently deal with. Bama has had a joke of a schedule this year, but it's not uncommon for them to face 4-6 top 15 teams a  year in the regular season alone. 

Takes nothing away from Osborne to admit Saban is the GOAT. 

12 hours ago, madrat said:

I don't know about Alabama being in the center of a big talent pool.  Tuscaloosa is a dung pit.  Money attracts talent to Alabama.  A bunch of poor hicks would rather pay for a football stadium instead of fixing community projects like roads & bridges.

You're joking right? The state of Alabama alone produces way more talent than any state near us and its alot easier to get a kid to come from Georgia or Louisiana to Tuscaloosa than you are making it out to be. That is a car trip. Getting to the midwest is either an extremely long drive or more likely a flight. 

4 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I feel kinda dirty thinking Urban was under rated

You ain't wrong

• Plus1 1

Honestly, I think Osborne is too high on this list. Top ten for sure, but top five?  Eh. 

He gets credit for longevity and consistent winning, and for going out a champion three of his last four years. But it took him a long time to get over the "can't win the big game" hurdle, and during his career here at Nebraska, aside for the last four years, people in this state were upset with him.

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Honestly, I think Osborne is too high on this list. Top ten for sure, but top five?  Eh. 

He gets credit for longevity and consistent winning, and for going out a champion three of his last four years. But it took him a long time to get over the "can't win the big game" hurdle, and during his career here at Nebraska, aside for the last four years, people in this state were upset with him.

Who cares? The last 4 years matter. How many head coaches since 1950 have 3 NC rings? In 4 years no less. That feat alone puts him where he is. No one else has done that. Dabo may pull it off this year.

• Thanks 1