B1G to Propose One-Time, No Sit Transfer

Mavric

39 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Volleyball is different.  For 1, we dont need to poach others very often cause we recruit the best straight from the beginning..  In football you have a much larger roster , so their is more reason to take a transfer.  If Nebraska had no players good enough to make an Alabama or OSU starting lineup then it wouldn't happen.  But when we do,  are stars would possibly be poached by someone. Last year we wouldn't have much worry, but what would keep LJax from going to OSU?  And when we do get good players aka Sue or Lavonte David, they would be approached by at least a few top schools...and likely half of them will transfer.  My point is College football/basketball are a different animal than Volleyball.  

Who's sue?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Red Five said:

A good example of it not being that big of a deal is looking at our volleyball team.  The way some of you are talking, you would think that we are taking the best players from lower schools every year because we are a power program.  @knapplc can correct me if I am wrong, but I only remember us getting a couple high profile transfers in over the last handful of years (Sun from Texas and Cook from UCLA, both coming from power programs).

First, I don't think that's really an apples-to-apples comparison.  Our volleyball team is a juggernaut, on the court and in recruiting.  They are getting a lot of the best players right out of high school.  So they aren't in need of a lot of "upgrades".

Second, Sun may be one of not as many lately but it hasn't been too long since we added Briana Holman, Kelsey Robinson, Mary Pollmiller, and Lauren Cook.  I'm probably forgetting one or two and there have also been others who have transferred in but didn't end up making much of an impact.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Red Five said:

A good example of it not being that big of a deal is looking at our volleyball team.  The way some of you are talking, you would think that we are taking the best players from lower schools every year because we are a power program.  @knapplc can correct me if I am wrong, but I only remember us getting a couple high profile transfers in over the last handful of years (Sun from Texas and Cook from UCLA, both coming from power programs).

Volleyball as a whole is actually worse than football right now. There were over 100 players in the transfer portal before the season ended last year. In the past several years Nebraska has had more than a dozen players transfer from the program, including four this year alone. There were four transfers out in 2015, too. Sun transferred in a couple of years ago, as did Briana Holman, as did Andie Malloy, and Brook Smith kinda did.  This year we're going to bring in at least one player, if not two.

We're looking at an era of free agency, basically.  The "amateur athlete" model is really an extinct concept.

Edit - @Mavric and I basically saying the same thing at the same time. Heh.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Our volleyball team is a juggernaut, on the court and in recruiting.  They are getting a lot of the best players right out of high school.  So they aren't in need of a lot of "upgrades".

So kinda like Bama, Clemson, OSU.  They get the best players out of high school so they won’t need all these “upgrades” coming from other schools that everyone is afraid of them getting.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So kinda like Bama, Clemson, OSU.  They get the best players out of high school so they won’t need all these “upgrades” coming from other schools that everyone is afraid of them getting.

Maybe, maybe not.  Football and volleyball are not exactly apples-to-apples from a roster standpoint.  

You don't think Alabama would have been in the market for a legitimate QB before the last couple years?

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I dont follow Volleyball so I dont know how the transfer #s look.  But going off what @Knapplc said, it looks like poaching goes on quite a bit even at Nebraska.  If they are taking 1 or 2 transfers a year in a sport where only 15 players can dress for a game, that translates to 5-10 transfers per year in football.  Thats not taking into account that there are assumedly more top Volleyball players who prioritize their education and school/friends than they do their Volleyball careers.  Hence less likely to transfer to a new school just to have a chance to play for a Championship.  Where as football, the best college players have their future career, and millions of dollars on the line.  So if transferring schools gets them more exposure, or chance to play for a Championship, or show they can compete against the best, or go to a school that has the presumed best coaching to help their game, it can effect their entire future.  And football is typically their #1 priority, where as in Volleyball the #1 priority is typically their degree or just the love of the game.

Point is its definitely not an apples to apples comparison.  

On 1/31/2020 at 5:39 PM, NUance said:

I dunno.  I hate the thought of us possibly losing good players.  But it seems like it would be good for guys who are riding the pine with no chance to play.  They could at least see the field somewhere else.  I think it'd be good for players. 

That, and I just don't see this new transfer policy putting Frost and Co at a disadvantage.  They seem about as good as any staff at pulling in talent--both in recruiting and in transfers.   

In the past 'riding the pine' is what made us strong - having 4 units or so practicing at the same time.  You are only as good as your best practice.  I think the rich will get richer in this situation.  Bama looses a RB to injury and entices a bench warmer from else where to be a Bama backup

• Plus1 1
On 2/2/2020 at 12:48 PM, knapplc said:

era of free agency, basically.

That is a good way of putting it.  We also have the idea of the athlete being able to profit from their name/likeness and possible changes in how they might be compensated (besides scholarships).  A lot of things happening on the micro level.  Just wait for the next round of conference realignment.   College football may look totally different in 10 years. 

Will we eventually see college football becoming a true farm club system for the NFL - who knows - maybe down the road a ways.