B1G to Propose One-Time, No Sit Transfer

Mavric

I think some are missing the current attitudes of a LOT of players.  They want to be where they can play and be seen so they can make it to the NFL.  I hear it all the time about making it to the league and a lot less of people saying I want to win a national championship.  If I'm a top defender at Nebraska and I'm playing well and pretty much have my spot locked down, why would I risk going to another school?  On a promise from another coach?  those are always followed through on.  I can see if I was a kid and really wanted to go to school A but ended up signing will school B and then have the ability to school A later on.  I don't see people just jumping ship if Alabama comes calling.

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...

It makes sense. Having a kid commit at 18 years old to a school is like demanding they commit to a major at 18, then stick with it NO MATTER WHAT, until they quit or graduate.

Some schools aren't a great fit, and you don't figure that out in a couple of visits. Sometimes you have to be on the ground to figure it out.

I think this will build better buy-in in the long run. Kids will be more likely to be where they want to be in their Junior & Senior years.

• Plus1 4
21 hours ago, knapplc said:

It makes sense. Having a kid commit at 18 years old to a school is like demanding they commit to a major at 18, then stick with it NO MATTER WHAT, until they quit or graduate.

Some schools aren't a great fit, and you don't figure that out in a couple of visits. Sometimes you have to be on the ground to figure it out.

I think this will build better buy-in in the long run. Kids will be more likely to be where they want to be in their Junior & Senior years.

While I agree with your sentiments, you do have penalties for transferring majors (e.g. credits not carrying over), and you have a penalty for transferring (by redshirting). 

Now, if they'd allow a kid to transfer and waive a year of eligibility to play immediately, then that's more fair to all involved. There still has to be some sort of detriment to transferring or it's going to become a free-for-all. 

The *ONLY* time I'd allow kids to transfer gratis is when the head coach leaves the program for another program (read: not retiring, not catching an acute case of death) within one year or less of when the recruit was brought on campus (e.g. Colorado). That's players and families being sold a bill of goods during the recruiting process. The only caveat being the kid can't follow the coach to his new destination. 

• Plus1 3

On 2/18/2020 at 1:37 PM, knapplc said:

I remember the story of Spencer Tillman from a game he was doing color for or from one of T.O.s books.

He wanted to major in Petroleum Engineering so Tom advised him to go to another school since we didn't offer that major..(turned out to be OU where he became a royal pain to us).

I think he changed his major his Soph. year to...Journalism ... And eventually was a teammate of Mike Rozier at Houston.

8 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

While I agree with your sentiments, you do have penalties for transferring majors (e.g. credits not carrying over), and you have a penalty for transferring (by redshirting). 

Now, if they'd allow a kid to transfer and waive a year of eligibility to play immediately, then that's more fair to all involved. There still has to be some sort of detriment to transferring or it's going to become a free-for-all. 

The *ONLY* time I'd allow kids to transfer gratis is when the head coach leaves the program for another program (read: not retiring, not catching an acute case of death) within one year or less of when the recruit was brought on campus (e.g. Colorado). That's players and families being sold a bill of goods during the recruiting process. The only caveat being the kid can't follow the coach to his new destination. 

1. Kids can already transfer with no penalty in all but 5 sports.  It's hypocritical and wrong to have different rules in different sports under the same governing body.

2. Coaches can leave with no penalty anytime they wish, that again isn't fair to all involved as you put it.

We're not talking a free for all with allowing it one time.  I don't really get forcing someone to stay somewhere at all costs, who cares if they transfer once with no penalty?

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, runningblind said:

1. Kids can already transfer with no penalty in all but 5 sports.  It's hypocritical and wrong to have different rules in different sports under the same governing body.

2. Coaches can leave with no penalty anytime they wish, that again isn't fair to all involved as you put it.

We're not talking a free for all with allowing it one time.  I don't really get forcing someone to stay somewhere at all costs, who cares if they transfer once with no penalty?

1) Those other sports aren't necessarily an apples-to-apples comparison to College Football, Baksetball, or even Baseball. They're mostly non-revenue sports that don't necessarily have Pro Sports agents and money circling around them, or SEC-levels of corruption and greed to contend with.

2) Coaches shouldn't be able to leave without penalty to the coach and the institutions that hired them or that the coach came from. Allowing recruits from that immediate recruiting cycle to de-commit and go elsewhere without penalty would help pump the brakes on shenanigans like what happened with Dantonio and Michigan State, or with Colorado's coach leaving for MSU right after recruiting and telling everyone he was staying. Or when the coach and his side piece end up in a motorcycle accident and have to resign suddenly.

Unless the coach dies or retires/takes a medical leave (e.g. Jerry Kill) there should be a free pass on kids from that immediate recruiting cycle decommitting/transferring, as they've been sold a bill of goods. 

3) Kids can still transfer, I'm just proposing that they either sit out a year or they have the option of playing immediately by burning a year of eligibility. They all have five to play four now from the beginning, so it shouldn't be a big deal to implement this and allow for an immediate transfer. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

1) Those other sports aren't necessarily an apples-to-apples comparison to College Football, Baksetball, or even Baseball. They're mostly non-revenue sports that don't necessarily have Pro Sports agents and money circling around them, or SEC-levels of corruption and greed to contend with.

2) Coaches shouldn't be able to leave without penalty to the coach and the institutions that hired them or that the coach came from. Allowing recruits from that immediate recruiting cycle to de-commit and go elsewhere without penalty would help pump the brakes on shenanigans like what happened with Dantonio and Michigan State, or with Colorado's coach leaving for MSU right after recruiting and telling everyone he was staying. Or when the coach and his side piece end up in a motorcycle accident and have to resign suddenly.

Unless the coach dies or retires/takes a medical leave (e.g. Jerry Kill) there should be a free pass on kids from that immediate recruiting cycle decommitting/transferring, as they've been sold a bill of goods. 

3) Kids can still transfer, I'm just proposing that they either sit out a year or they have the option of playing immediately by burning a year of eligibility. They all have five to play four now from the beginning, so it shouldn't be a big deal to implement this and allow for an immediate transfer. 

You really hit the hammer on the bolt...perfecto

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

This. The kid isn't forced to stay at that school, just has a penalty if leaving said school. The problem thrown is was the waivers and it made no sense for the ones it waived and some it didn't. Needed to be a black and white rule instread of the sometimes accepting waivers. The only schools this hurts is the stepping stone schools. I don't see it hurting Nebraska. 

Also, the coaches contracts need to be fulfilled. Need a plan in place for the hop around coaches. 

• Thanks 1

I'm all for allowing a one time transfer.  Imo, there are already a lot of real life deterrents in place.  It is not easy on kids to switch teams - learning a new culture, new city, new curriculum, etc.  If a kid is dead set on making a change, it will be a challenge for them without the NCAA or B1G adding additional penalty.  Those same kids also face a huge risk of it not working out at all.

From Bleacher Report-  

"Currently there are 756 student-athletes in the transfer portal from FBS teams that are still active, as in haven't been able to transfer to another school. Those 756 entered the portal between 10/15/2018 (the first date of the portal) to 07/31/2019.  There are 857 active players in the portal from 08/01/2019 through 01/30/2020.

That is 1,613 transfers from FBS schools that still have not found a home. 1,008 student-athletes have transferred, not all to other FBS schools.

For football, in the first year (10/15/2018 - 07/31/2019) there 1,720 student-athletes, 756 currently active (have not transferred), 821 that have matriculated (transferred), and 143 that withdrew from the portal.  Right now (08/01/2019 - 01/30/2020), there are 1,086 in the transfer portal, 856 remain active, 189 that have matriculated, and 41 that have withdrawn."

That means that more than 57% of D1 football student-athletes who enter the portal are unable to transfer to another football program, essentially ending their collegiate football and academic career. "

If a kid is unhappy enough to take this risk, I see no reason why additional penalties are needed.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
On 2/20/2020 at 10:38 AM, Hilltop said:

If a kid is unhappy enough to take this risk, I see no reason why additional penalties are needed.  

Exactly.   I don't understand people being upset and trying to force players and coaches to stay where they don't want to be. "There should be more consequences!"  Why? There are already consequences.  Are there extra consequences for leaving a job or school in life?  Not beyond losing pay, benefits etc. Same story, no need to add extra punishment.

This is similar to when people got so upset about having to pay Riley his buyout.  He's robbing us! He's only making 50k on purpose! There are terms in contracts.  Money is paid, buyouts are set, people can leave when meeting the terms and are owed whatever amount it the agreed upon terms dictate.  Students in almost all other sports can transfer without sitting out.  How much that sport brings in revenue wise shouldn't have anything to do with it.  This is called being fair, no matter how butt hurt you get as a fan that someone leaves your school. 

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

According to a report by D1 Baseball, the NCAA Division I Council is expected to discuss a one-time transfer waiver on April 24 and then vote on May 20. The report also states that it would go into effect immediately, granting all first-time transfers immediate eligibility for the 2020-21 season.

• 2 weeks later...