** 2020 Opponent Previews : Wisconsin (Game 2) **

Saunders

18 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

WTF

Also, two people liked it??

No surprise. They are pinning a lot of hope on him....even though their receiver group won't scare a good secondary. I do think he's their best shot a CFP appearance, so again, the clock has started.

28 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

No surprise. They are pinning a lot of hope on him....even though their receiver group won't scare a good secondary. I do think he's their best shot a CFP appearance, so again, the clock has started.

I feel confident saying they'll never make the college football playoff in the next 10 years. I'll resign my account if they do.  The 3 Badger fans around here feel free to screen shot this.

17 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I feel confident saying they'll never make the college football playoff in the next 10 years. I'll resign my account if they do.  The 3 Badger fans around here feel free to screen shot this.

Considering many of their fans feel QB is a big reason that they haven't, I play along....even though there are a few more areas they need an influx of top end talent in. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

WTF

Also, two people liked it??

Hey, there's an a$$h@!e on Reddit saying he hopes that Held's mystery tweet was about Martinez being out for the season...

• Plus1 1

I could see the silver lining being a smoother transition into the next few years with a more experienced Mertz, but it absolutely makes them worse this year. It's a tough break for sure. Mertz is much more talented, but when their offense is doing what they want you don't really need a ton of talent - you need good decisions. Barring a sizable shift in offensive philosophy, I don't think they get a lot out of Mertz that they didn't have in Coan.

I'm kinda down on their offense as a whole this year. We can't stop the run so they'll be effective against us as usual, but none of their RBs scare you unless Berger is the real deal right away. Cephus was the first scholarship receiver they've developed in recent memory, the guys replacing him have talent but no consistency. Throw in a new QB, and they could be in a bit of trouble overall.

7 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Perhaps it ends up being a scheduling benefit to catching them in the 2nd game before Mertz gains additional experience. 1 game will give him some snaps under his belt, but on the flip side we will have some film on schemes they feel comfortable with Mertz running. 

I think getting Wisconsin and OSU early helps.  Yeah having cupcakes to open up are nice to work out some stuff but I think having better teams might make camp a little more focused and have more meaning.  Have to be ready from the jump

46 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm kinda down on their offense as a whole this year. We can't stop the run so they'll be effective against us as usual, but none of their RBs scare you unless Berger is the real deal right away. Cephus was the first scholarship receiver they've developed in recent memory, the guys replacing him have talent but no consistency. Throw in a new QB, and they could be in a bit of trouble overall.

Before Cephus there was Jazz Peavy, before Peavy it was Alex Erickson, before Erickson it was Jared Abbrederis. They have always had one really good receiver that makes you go, "if only he would graduate Wisconsin can't throw anymore", and then they get replaced like clockwork. I am sure we will see who's next in due time. 

One can hope that this is the year that they don't know immediately who that is and will they be productive by week 2.

Just now, deedsker said:

Before Cephus there was Jazz Peavy, before Peavy it was Alex Erickson, before Erickson it was Jared Abbrederis. They have always had one really good receiver that makes you go, "if only he would graduate Wisconsin can't throw anymore", and then they get replaced like clockwork. I am sure we will see who's next in due time. 

One can hope that this is the year that they don't know immediately who that is and will they be productive by week 2.

Erickson and Abbrederis sure, but I'd put Peavy in the same bucket as the guys they've got. Occasionally made some plays, but always good for a few drops and disappeared a lot. Cephus, Erickson, and Abbrederis all had seasons of 900+ yards, Peavy had 635 in his best year. It's pretty subjective I guess, and quite possible someone will step up.