The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

the far right has a point.    in my business the building codes have changed a lot since i started.   why is that?   it must all be fake news and i refuse to comply anymore. i demand investigations into anyone who has changed them over the years.   i will do my own research and find building codes that i want to build by rather than what the corrupt building inspectors try to tell me to obey.  i am no longer a sheep 

:sarcasm

added in case that is needed 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, commando said:

the far right has a point.    in my business the building codes have changed a lot since i started.   why is that?   it must all be fake news and i refuse to comply anymore. i demand investigations into anyone who has changed them over the years.   i will do my own research and find building codes that i want to build by rather than what the corrupt building inspectors try to tell me to obey.  i am no longer a sheep 

:sarcasm

added in case that is needed 

Unfortunately the sarcasm tag is necessary--what you said sounds unfortunately plausible anymore. 

Who thought Idiocrary would come to pass and roost in the GOP? At least the Starbucks at the RNC will be bangin'. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I saw a post today, so can't claim this is all my thought process but it's very interesting.  

Think about how diligent schools are today with peanut allergy students?  Entire classrooms and buildings change what kids can have for their lunches and what can be brought in for snacks etc  - why haven't I heard the same sort of push back about how this is against the rights of the kids who don't have peanut allergies?  Why should my kid who loves peanut butter have to experience a different sort of school year just because his rightful sandwich could maybe kill or make a classmate sick?  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

I saw a post today, so can't claim this is all my thought process but it's very interesting.  

Think about how diligent schools are today with peanut allergy students?  Entire classrooms and buildings change what kids can have for their lunches and what can be brought in for snacks etc  - why haven't I heard the same sort of push back about how this is against the rights of the kids who don't have peanut allergies?  Why should my kid who loves peanut butter have to experience a different sort of school year just because his rightful sandwich could maybe kill or make a classmate sick?  

I didn’t realize that was a thing as far as lunch goes.   My kids can eat whatever they would like for lunch.  The kids with allergies sit at different tables I believe.   The classroom snacks are restricted though.   

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I didn’t realize that was a thing as far as lunch goes.   My kids can eat whatever they would like for lunch.  The kids with allergies sit at different tables I believe.   The classroom snacks are restricted though.   

I'm boned if my kids can't bring pbj to school. We go through pallets of these at my house, and yes I do most the damage. 

f490a06c-4ea2-41f5-9151-a05449e93e43.64a

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

That’s a fair point but I would say there has been a lot of localized complainig over the years.  My son had “one of those” with a very militant mother all through his elementary school years. Effed up every school party and event for the majority of kids. There was plenty of complaining and hand wringing and that was 20ish years ago. Our school had 4 classrooms for every grade and you can believe we and many others went out of our way to not be in the same classroom as that kid. But it did screw the entire school in the lunchroom. No peanuts, nuts or peanutbutter were allowed in there, ever. Individual classrooms (without party wrecker) were allowed treats with peanuts.

I mean we knew his life was more important but still what a PITA.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Yeah, you don't want to claim it, it is foolish.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

That’s a fair point but I would say there has been a lot of localized complainig over the years.  My son had “one of those” with a very militant mother all through his elementary school years. Effed up every school party and event for the majority of kids. There was plenty of complaining and hand wringing and that was 20ish years ago. Our school had 4 classrooms for every grade and you can believe we and many others went out of our way to not be in the same classroom as that kid. But it did screw the entire school in the lunchroom. No peanuts, nuts or peanutbutter were allowed in there, ever. Individual classrooms (without party wrecker) were allowed treats with peanuts.

Yep...it is just when the no nuts thing started, there was not the crazy social media and cell phoning like there is today.

I worked in schools when the no nuts thing started and people did get mad and call and complain.  Most schools even did a "nut free" table for those kids.

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yep...it is just when the no nuts thing started, there was not the crazy social media and cell phoning like there is today.

I worked in schools when the no nuts thing started and people did get mad and call and complain.  Most schools even did a "nut free" table for those kids.

My wife had a student that had a nut allergy but there were two versions of it; mom said he couldn't be in the same room as peanuts and even had to be rushed to the ER because of an open bag of peanuts that he walked by at the grocery store once, and dad said "uh no, he just can't eat them." 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

My son had nut and egg allergies. We never asked anyone to adjust their birthday party plans because of it. We would send him with a box of double stuff Oreos. The only complaint we ever got was that the kids at the party would rather eat the Oreos than the birthday cake. :cowbell:

Why inconvenience a bunch of kids for one kid, I say. He was sensitive enough that he broke out once when grandma was cooking with nuts. We took him to the emergency room once after he ate a York peppermint patty at a birthday party. Those suckers use egg white to make the patties shiny. It was his own party. His mom felt bad. :P

we tend to be irritated with Karen’s who think their kids are special snowflakes.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, nic said:

My son had nut and egg allergies. We never asked anyone to adjust their birthday party plans because of it. We would send him with a box of double stuff Oreos. The only complaint we ever got was that the kids at the party would rather eat the Oreos than the birthday cake. :cowbell:

Why inconvenience a bunch of kids for one kid, I say. He was sensitive enough that he broke out once when grandma was cooking with nuts. We took him to the emergency room once after he ate a York peppermint patty at a birthday party. Those suckers use egg white to make the patties shiny. It was his own party. His mom felt bad. :P

we tend to be irritated with Karen’s who think their kids are special snowflakes.

I understand the peanut allergies are real.  What I don't get is why does there seem to be more and kids having these.  When I was a kid, it was never heard of.