The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

So yesterday, the state of Ohio announced the first cases of the virus, 3 of them in the Cleveland area. Since then, things have been happening quickly with Ohio universities. First Ohio State suspended in-person classes for the next few weeks, and other major universities in the state have followed suit. The school I work at is having all faculty immediately take all their classes online and have no more face to face meetings for the next 4 weeks, and they are considering having all non-essential staff working remotely, even though there have been no confirmed cases of the virus in our area. And all of our local grocery stores are out of toilet paper. 

15 minutes ago, Ulty said:

So yesterday, the state of Ohio announced the first cases of the virus, 3 of them in the Cleveland area. Since then, things have been happening quickly with Ohio universities. First Ohio State suspended in-person classes for the next few weeks, and other major universities in the state have followed suit. The school I work at is having all faculty immediately take all their classes online and have no more face to face meetings for the next 4 weeks, and they are considering having all non-essential staff working remotely, even though there have been no confirmed cases of the virus in our area. And all of our local grocery stores are out of toilet paper. 

Wal Mart here (in Omaha) was down to one last package of s#!t-wipe!

Get buckled in folks. The expert says we are just getting started with this thing and we are looking at 10-15 times more severe then a typical flu season. The cases in New Orleans went from 3 to 6 overnight. It's been about 2 weeks since mardi gras and that's the virus incubation period. I would expect the south to come down with many more cases shortly. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Get buckled in folks. The expert says we are just getting started with this thing and we are looking at 10-15 times more severe then a typical flu season. The cases in New Orleans went from 3 to 6 overnight. It's been about 2 weeks since mardi gras and that's the virus incubation period. I would expect the south to come down with many more cases shortly. 

Yep. We are definitely on the upward slope of the curve.  The whole goal at this point is to mitigate that curve, but the Administration is standing flat-footed with zero plans in place.

We're going to resemble Italy more than South Korea, that's for sure. And our hospitals will be overwhelmed. Everything will be shut down. It's going to be a s-show.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think we are about a week away from seeing a lot of closings!

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yep. We are definitely on the upward slope of the curve.  The whole goal at this point is to mitigate that curve, but the Administration is standing flat-footed with zero plans in place.

We're going to resemble Italy more than South Korea, that's for sure. And our hospitals will be overwhelmed. Everything will be shut down. It's going to be a s-show.

What bothers me is people acting like we are at the tail end of this claiming the flu is worse, a message pushed from the top. This creates a dangerous attitude where people feel like they don't need to take precautions. We have so far to go before we can make that claim it's not even funny. Let's revisit that conversation after its finished spreading. 

As for the s- show its going to be, we have less than 1 million hospital beds nation wide. They better start finding a way to bed more patients now because they are going to run out in a hurry. 

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think we are about a week away from seeing a lot of closings!

I think you are right. They say the doubling time is 6 days for this thing but with the way it's being under tested I'd say we will be at more than double by a wide margin in a weeks time.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I just hope this reacts similarly to other viruses in that, once you get it, you develop at least limited immunity to it. Because if not, we're going to be sick for the next year until this vaccine is developed.

Vaccine? You mean we are suppose to get vaccine shots:o  :D

I hope the 'never vacciners' will get a clue after this outbreak.   I do wonder if this will be a separate vaccination or  'mixed' in with the regular flu vacination.  My guess is separate.  But I'm not a doc so IDK :dunno