The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That would mean the death rate is 35 times higher for the Corona Virus.  Seems small, right?  So far this year, there have been 35,000,000 cases of influenza.  If it would have the same death rate, 1,225,000 people would die from the disease compared to 35,000 with the flu.

That equates to 7,032 Nebraskans.  

Kind of puts it in perspective.

Fatality Rate numbers are skewed due to people with advanced symptoms are the majority of people being tested, also we know there are many people that are symptom free. New England Journal of Medicine predicts a fatality at or less than 1%. I don’t want to down play it, as that’s still 10x more deadly than the seasonal flu, Just wanted to provide more perspective. 

• Plus1 1

OK, so UNMC is giving the Unicameral a briefing on the virus. These are sobering numbers.

480,000 deaths from this is staggering. Let's hope that's a worst-case-scenario. If not, we're all going to lose loved ones or acquaintances.

Some US comparisons:

The 1918 Spanish Flu - 70,000 deaths

World War II - 407,000

World War I - 116,000

• Thanks 3
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

OK, so UNMC is giving the Unicameral a briefing on the virus. These are sobering numbers.

480,000 deaths from this is staggering. Let's hope that's a worst-case-scenario. If not, we're all going to lose loved ones or acquaintances.

Some US comparisons:

The 1918 Spanish Flu - 70,000 deaths

World War II - 407,000

World War I - 116,000

What the actual f....? there is NO WAY that these numbers can be anything other than absolute worse case scare tactics....right?

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

What the actual f....? there is NO WAY that these numbers can be anything other than absolute worse case scare tactics....right?

I don't think so. A 0.5% mortality rate would actually be really, really low. China was reporting somewhere in the 3% range.

People who understand the way epidemics work say the worst is yet to come (in America). 

The response to this has been delayed and in large part bungled due to Trump. He slashed the CDC response teams, and their funding, and he spent the first few weeks of the outbreak doing stupid crap like keeping a cruise ship offshore because he didn't want it to skew America's infection numbers higher.

This is being handled in much smarter ways all over the world.  Here... we have Trump. And other countries are just baffled by his actions.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Man I hope so! My wife can work from home and I'm sure my boys would have some online school options offered from our district, but I HAVE to go to work and as a first responder it's worrisome to hear numbers like that! :(

• Plus1 2

Speaking of the CDC, here's some updates that should calm many of us (at least, those of us without older parents)

The CDC says "older adults" and people with serious chronic medical conditions "are at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness."

Anyone over 60 and those with underlying health problems should try to avoid places with large crowds -- such as movie theaters, busy malls and even religious services, infectious disease experts say.

"This ought to be top of mind for people over 60, and those with underlying health problems," said Dr. William Schaffner, a Vanderbilt University professor and longtime CDC adviser.

"The single most important thing you can do to avoid the virus is reduce your face to face contact with people."

But why is age 60 often used as a threshold for those who need to be extra cautious?

"We now know more about who is at risk," US Surgeon General Jerome Adams said.

"(The) average age of death for people from coronavirus is 80. Average age of people who need medical attention is age 60."