The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The title could have been better, but the sentiment is the same. If we have a shortage of swabs and they know before hand that they would discard a bunch just because of the visit....then why visit?  Or, why not visit, but not tour the production area?  

Fact is, Trump doesn’t give a s#!t aBout anything as long as there is a photo op. 

13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I completely agree with all of this. I just took some issue with it being portrayed as "this idiot stumbled in and ruined a day's production by not wearing his mask". That isn't what happened. There is way more than enough real things this particular idiot does and says. IMO it does a disserve by purposely trying to make them appear even worse. If everyone simply stuck to the absolute truth, in context, I believe it would provide less excuses for his supporters.

Good points and thanks for digging into this. I admittedly skimmed that article and missed the nuance of the actual events.

• Plus1 1

Just an opinion article about the potential for more layoffs, but found this interesting. There isn't a good way to get fired but this is pretty bad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/opinion/layoffs-coronavirus-economy.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

One of the many unwelcome lessons we’ve already learned during this recession is just how terrible companies are at firing people. Last month, WW International, the company formerly known as Weight Watchers, laid off employees in an arpeggio of simultaneous Zoom calls lasting just three minutes each.

A few weeks before that, Bird, the Santa Monica-based scooter rental company, lured 406 employees to a mysterious Zoom “webinar” only to have them stare at a slide that read “Covid-19” while a disembodied female voice told them their services were no longer required. “It felt like a Black Mirror episode,” said a former employee. (If only. At least there’d have been the possibility of a star turn by Jon Hamm.)

Here's the message the Bird employees received. Great PR here, lol.

According to this guy's description, this company did it as a zoom call but instead of just showing everyone who called in a video... they kept it so everyone could see each other's faces. So they could all see each other crying.

• Thanks 1

People should be a lot more pissed that this is every day s#!t from places run by Republicans now.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/14/876584284/fired-florida-data-scientist-launches-a-coronavirus-dashboard-of-her-own?fbclid=IwAR06zy1fe1zKk-k5YPvqJ2XtiLzJzAqBDSqHW_agGQ71Q7AwnqP7vTOJDiE

"When I went to show them what the report card would say for each county, among other things, they asked me to delete the report card because it showed that no counties, pretty much, were ready for reopening," she says. "And they didn't want to draw attention to that."

Jones says a superior asked her to open up the data and alter the numbers so that the state's coronavirus positivity rating would change from 18% to 10% — and the state would appear to meet its target to reopen.

She says she refused to do that manipulation and others she was asked to, and she was fired on May 18.
--
The Florida Department of Health did not respond to requests for comment. A spokesperson for Florida Gov. Ron De Santis said last month that Jones "exhibited a repeated course of insubordination during her time with the department."

• Thanks 1

GOP Governors actively sabotaging/ransoming public safety, carrying Trump's water.

TX Gov. Abbott already walked back similar comments. 

Dakota County Assessor Jeff Curry said he was hoping that a mask requirement could be remain in place for the courthouse through July 1. The northeast Nebraska county, home to a Tyson meatpacking plant, has been one of the hardest-hit counties in the nation for COVID-19. Visitors to the courthouse were not only required to wear a mask when entering, but their temperatures also were checked and they were asked a series of questions about coronavirus exposure.

I recently had to appear in-person in this exact Courthouse, which is ~800yards from the Tyson Plant, and none of this happened. I was not checked or questioned, and I was the only person wearing a mask. A Tyson employee was there, waiting for a separate hearing, without a mask. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, QMany said:

GOP Governors actively sabotaging/ransoming public safety, carrying Trump's water.

TX Gov. Abbott already walked back similar comments. 

I recently had to appear in-person in this exact Courthouse, which is ~800yards from the Tyson Plant, and none of this happened. I was not checked or questioned, and I was the only person wearing a mask. A Tyson employee was there, waiting for a separate hearing, without a mask. 

Why is it so hard to just not be an egg head? 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

^What planet does this guy live on? 

H1N1 - 12,500 Deaths over the course of 1 year

COVID - 120,000 Deaths over the course of 3 months.....

So we are picking between clueless and clueless*10. Good to know.