The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

The people that got vaccinated back in March/April are pretty much "non-vaccinated" at this point unless they've gotten a booster, right?

I wonder how many people fall into that category.  If it's a lot, this winter/flu season is going to be brutal.

I think the data shows that they slip from like 93-97% effective (Moderna and Pfizer) to 84% or something after month 6, so def drops but is still pretty good.  

We're going to get walloped with flu this year though I think.  Hoping that people are diligent with masking and etc.

• Plus1 2

33 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Really depends where you are I guess.  Here in the Northeast they lost their jobs if they didn't.  

The last solid numbers I heard were that more than 75% of healthcare workers were vaccinated in the US, so the majority are vaccinated.

Can't remember if you are in NE RBR?  I think Ricketts and the gang there have advocated for a different level of compliance to the CDC recommendation.

I'm in central Nebraska.  I've been told of small hospitals that were going to have to close or severely cut back on services if workers were required to be vaccinated.....because they would all quit.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm in central Nebraska.  I've been told of small hospitals that were going to have to close or severely cut back on services if workers were required to be vaccinated.....because they would all quit.

Surely they've all been vaccinated repeatedly over the years, and if they have kids, they've all had their kids vaccinated — as required. 

What is really going on in this country right now? 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Surely they've all been vaccinated repeatedly over the years, and if they have kids, they've all had their kids vaccinated — as required. 

Well, those other vaccines aren’t implanting chips and making you grow a third arm. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

the power of disinformation on display. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, funhusker said:

The people that got vaccinated back in March/April are pretty much "non-vaccinated" at this point unless they've gotten a booster, right?

I wonder how many people fall into that category.  If it's a lot, this winter/flu season is going to be brutal.

It may be bad in terms of cases, but so far the data is having the breakthrough cases for vaccinated are still fairly mild, especially for the younger than 70 crowd.  

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I think the data shows that they slip from like 93-97% effective (Moderna and Pfizer) to 84% or something after month 6, so def drops but is still pretty good.  

We're going to get walloped with flu this year though I think.  Hoping that people are diligent with masking and etc.

Why would you expect the US to get walloped with the flu this year when the southern hemisphere has had another mild flu season similar to its 2020 season?  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

Why would you expect the US to get walloped with the flu this year when the southern hemisphere has had another mild flu season similar to its 2020 season?  

A little because of all this "vaccine hesitancy" and my understanding was because last year's numbers were so low all over it was going to be more difficult to figure out strains and etc for 2022.  That could have changed, I haven't read much about it in a few months.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

A little because of all this "vaccine hesitancy" and my understanding was because last year's numbers were so low all over it was going to be more difficult to figure out strains and etc for 2022.  That could have changed, I haven't read much about it in a few months.

My understanding is that COVID actually made people more vaccine conscious, and the number of flu shots actually went up last year, along with mask wearing and hygiene, something Americans rarely practiced in the past. 

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My understanding is that COVID actually made people more vaccine conscious, and the number of flu shots actually went up last year, along with mask wearing and hygiene, something Americans rarely practiced in the past. 

I hope you're right!  I thought numbers last year were low and that was attributed to mask use and social distancing so that alone would increase with more folks out and about and less enforced masks inside.   I'll have to go looking for rates!