The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I completely agree.

I also think we can rethink benefits at work, like having on-site Daycare. The employees in the building next to us hand this, and it seems incredible. From what I understand, employees pay for a portion while the employer covers the rest.

I hope that in addition to immigration, we can rethink our current workforce to tap into a labor pool which would allow for working parents to participate in the workforce. As @KnappIc pointed out, a huge barrier of workforce participation is the cost of childcare. 

When you say "we", who are you talking about?

12 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

It's all over.  Covid is gone.  Real Americans say so just like real Americans quit on WWII in the fall of 1943....oh wait

I hate it when politicians say things like "real Americans".  But that aside, he isn't wrong.

I've been vaccinated.  My wife and kids are all vaccinated.  My parents are vaccinated.  This virus isn't going to ever fully disappear. 

I'm done worrying about it.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I hate it when politicians say things like "real Americans".  But that aside, he isn't wrong.

I've been vaccinated.  My wife and kids are all vaccinated.  My parents are vaccinated.  This virus isn't going to ever fully disappear. 

I'm done worrying about it.

Pretty much my thought on it as well.  I'm treating it like the flu, I'm sure I'll have to get an annual booster, probably mixed with my annual flu shot and call it good.   Not stressing about it.  At this stage if you haven't gotten the vaccine, it's on you.   Good luck to you once you get it.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
18 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

If 'Real' = 'Vaccinated', then I agree.

But you know that's not what he meant nor is it what people who listen to him will take from that tweet. 

If you're asked to wear a mask on public transportation would you wear one?  Will you continue to get boosted when needed? What about the immunocompromised?  Are they worth protecting by the rest of us sucking it up and complying with masking where needed?  What about the rest of the world where vaccinations are lagging?  Does the omicron variant and the uncertainty surrounding the vaccines efficacy with it play into being done with COVID? 

I hazard to guess based on your posting history you are/would be responsible in situations where need be based on science and are concerned about the continued high level of transmission we're seeing around the world now.  

I'm pretty sure no credible scientist would say we're out of the woods yet.  And yet Gym seems to be implying we are.  That's a pretty ignorant take on his part, so yeah, he is wrong.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Scarlet said:

If you're asked to wear a mask on public transportation would you wear one?  Will you continue to get boosted when needed? What about the immunocompromised?  Are they worth protecting by the rest of us sucking it up and complying with masking where needed?  What about the rest of the world where vaccinations are lagging?  Does the omicron variant and the uncertainty surrounding the vaccines efficacy with it play into being done with COVID? 

I hazard to guess based on your posting history you are/would be responsible in situations where need be based on science and are concerned about the continued high level of transmission we're seeing around the world now.  

Will I wear a mask when told to?  Yes, as I have.  Do I agree with mask mandates at this point?  No I do not.

Asking whether people are 'worth protecting' is a loaded question meant to virtue signal, which judging by your posting history...is expected.

This has always been a question of risk mitigation, and some people that claim to 'follow science' miss this point often.  Are you a bad person if you don't reduce risk to 0%?  No, I don't think so.  This has been a pandemic of the unvaccinated since spring.  Without the unvaccinated, medical infrastructure would not be threatened.  Vaccinated people are not driving hospitalization surges.  Asking people to 'please mask up, or else nothing' again has resulted in vaxxed people masking, and unvaxxed people not giving a $hit (again), and this has predictably failed to quell the spread.  If we were a zero-COVID country and we were committed to it through draconian measures (right or wrong), then no...this is far from over.  But we're not.  The solution is freely available and I'm done protecting those that don't want to be part of the solution.

If it turns out that Omicron is just as deadly and completely evades previous immunity  (unlikely), then yes it will time to re-evaluate and wait for a new round of vaccines, and forcefully require them this time.  I guess we'll see.  In the absence of anything definitive at this point, I'm going to continue to do what I do...which means keeping my vaccination updated and generally going about living my life.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
10 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Will I wear a mask when told to?  Yes, as I have.  Do I agree with mask mandates at this point?  No I do not.

Asking whether people are 'worth protecting' is a loaded question meant to virtue signal, which judging by your posting history...is expected.

This has always been a question of risk mitigation, and some people that claim to 'follow science' miss this point often.  Are you a bad person if you don't reduce risk to 0%?  No, I don't think so.  This has been a pandemic of the unvaccinated since spring.  Without the unvaccinated, medical infrastructure would not be threatened.  Vaccinated people are not driving hospitalization surges.  Asking people to 'please mask up, or else nothing' again has resulted in vaxxed people masking, and unvaxxed people not giving a $hit (again), and this has predictably failed to quell the spread.  If we were a zero-COVID country and we were committed to it through draconian measures (right or wrong), then no...this is far from over.  But we're not.  The solution is freely available and I'm done protecting those that don't want to be part of the solution.

If it turns out that Omicron is just as deadly and completely evades previous immunity  (unlikely), then yes it will time to re-evaluate and wait for a new round of vaccines, and forcefully require them this time.  I guess we'll see.  In the absence of anything definitive at this point, I'm going to continue to do what I do...which means keeping my vaccination updated and generally going about living my life.

Ok, your jab about virtue signaling notwithstanding do you actually think any of what you posted or your day to day decisions are what Gym was signaling in his tweet?  He's basically doing what he does.  Undermining the experts in the field at the cost of what?  More unvaxxed deaths?  How's that for virtue signaling?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Ok, your jab about virtue signaling notwithstanding do you actually think any of what you posted or your day to day decisions are what Gym was signaling in his tweet?  He's basically doing what he does.  Undermining the experts in the field at the cost of what?  More unvaxxed deaths?  How's that for virtue signaling?

I wasn't agreeing with him.  I know he doesn't mean what I interpreted, but it was done in jest.  I imagine if he was a poster on this board and I responded the way I did...I would be embattled in a likely much more inane argument about how vaccines really do work.  I do believe that if you're vaxxed, you've generally done what you can and can stop worrying.  In two weeks, if we find out we're about to be wiped out by some mutant named after a Deceptecon, then I'll re-evaluate.

• Plus1 1

Got my booster Monday. Just absolutely kicked my a$$ Tuesday, but by yesterday I was good and today back to normal.

I guess if I have to go through this every year to not get bad Covid symptoms again, I'm all for it.

My sense of smell JUST came back last month, 10 months after having Covid. But it's wonky - if I'm not smelling something I recognize, it smells like chemicals. Hopefully that goes away soon.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Got my booster Monday. Just absolutely kicked my a$$ Tuesday, but by yesterday I was good and today back to normal.

I guess if I have to go through this every year to not get bad Covid symptoms again, I'm all for it.

My sense of smell JUST came back last month, 10 months after having Covid. But it's wonky - if I'm not smelling something I recognize, it smells like chemicals. Hopefully that goes away soon.

Good to hear about your symptoms subsiding.  Did you mix your vaccines?