***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2020***

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Oops wrong thread...

Actually on topic I liked what Chin was doing with Caleb Tannor and Heinrich also but those guys have seemed to have disappeared. So too has any real pressure we've been able to put on opposing quarterbacks.  

Henrich was forced to move back to ILB after Colin Miller's injury.  He was in against Iowa after Reimers' injury in the first quarter.  Either Henrich or Honas was in the wrong coverage on a key 3rd down conversion by Iowa on their TD drive.  I think it was Henrich because he didn't see much time the rest of the day.  I'm not being too critical of Henrich, as it has to be tough trying to play both positions like that, as a redshirt freshman.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I have no doubt some teams coach their D line how to “sell” a holding call.   I’m sure that explains some of the disparity.  I’m looking at you Iowa.  

The thing is, I have seen our guys do the traditional "throw your arms up and twist around" and it still doesn't get called. I don't think anyone spends a ton of time practicing it, but it's not like they don't do anything to show their being held either. 

• Fire 1
40 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The thing is, I have seen our guys do the traditional "throw your arms up and twist around" and it still doesn't get called. I don't think anyone spends a ton of time practicing it, but it's not like they don't do anything to show their being held either. 

I’m sure every team tries to some degree, but there’s likely an art to it.  Some do it better than others.  Pick your plays and make it look legit.  If you’re flopping every play, the refs are going to notice and you’re going to loose credibility.   Good luck getting the calls then.   I just don’t buy the biased against Nebraska officiating theory and I’m not sure sure how to otherwise explain the discrepancy (assuming that above graph is correct).  It’s not like our D line just sucks that much more than other teams.   Maybe some of it can be explained by scheme, but the difference between NU and IA (and others) getting those calls is way beyond any standard deviation.  Just my opinion.  

Who do we have as depth behind Domann, Payne, Nelson and Tannor at OLB?

Is Hannah still outside?  I think I read he had switched from inside during Fall Camp. His high school film was excellent but I haven't really heard his name mentioned since arriving on campus.

I know we also have Alston with a couple years under his belt, Butler, Graham (DE?), Schleger (sp? - the CSU transfer), Cooper (saw him on special teams the other day).

Any of these guys (or someone I've missed) earning a sniff of playing time any time soon?

7 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Is Hannah still outside?  I think I read he had switched from inside during Fall Camp. His high school film was excellent but I haven't really heard his name mentioned since arriving on campus.

I know we also have Alston with a couple years under his belt, Butler, Graham (DE?), Schleger (sp? - the CSU transfer), Cooper (saw him on special teams the other day).

Any of these guys (or someone I've missed) earning a sniff of playing time any time soon?

Haven't heard much out of Blaise Gunnerson (?) since he signed, either.

You'd like to see some development at the position eventually. Tannor? Nothing. Nelson? Only a sophmore, but plays very undisciplined. Payne looks promising, but not sure how much credit Nebraska deserves for that.

Just now, Canadian Fan said:

Others at OLB would be Alston and Niko Cooper (sophomores) then Javin Wright Blaise Gunnerson, Jimari Butler and Isaac Gifford (freshmen).  Nick Henrich had been inside then got moved outside to start this year and is now back inside after Miller's injury so he could be either.  Hannah was inside last I knew.

They were pretty high on Wright but he is out for the year with an injury.  Cooper and Alston have a ways to go, imo.  The others are true freshmen so we'll see in a year or two.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Others at OLB would be Alston and Niko Cooper (sophomores) then Javin Wright Blaise Gunnerson, Jimari Butler and Isaac Gifford (freshmen).  Nick Henrich had been inside then got moved outside to start this year and is now back inside after Miller's injury so he could be either.  Hannah was inside last I knew.

They were pretty high on Wright but he is out for the year with an injury.  Cooper and Alston have a ways to go, imo.  The others are true freshmen so we'll see in a year or two.  

Isn't Gunnerson having injury issues also. I would have definitely pegged him as someone who could earn a few snaps as a true freshman.