Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

MLS is playing right now with no fans and the MLB,NBA,NHL are getting ready to start I haven’t heard much about MLS having positive cases since they started playing. Also my wife said the there was an athletic camp some where in Illinois and 65 kids tested positive and one 13 year old died from it not sure if it’s true but I thought I throw that little tidbit out there 

13 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

MLS is playing right now with no fans and the MLB,NBA,NHL are getting ready to start I haven’t heard much about MLS having positive cases since they started playing. Also my wife said the there was an athletic camp some where in Illinois and 65 kids tested positive and one 13 year old died from it not sure if it’s true but I thought I throw that little tidbit out there 

I highly doubt the news wouldn't have something on this if it were true- especially in Illinois.  All media outlets are searching high and low for stories and this would have made national headlines.   

23 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Yes, and they seem to be having success.  However, they have already had two teams withdraw (FC Dallas and Nashville SC) - Dallas had 11 players test positive and Nashville had 9. A few other games have been postponed due to positive cases.  And this is for players in an isolation bubble. 

Unless they are just going to lock down all the college football players for the entire fall, I think we will see many more teams have to withdraw or postponement/cancellation of games.  Not impossible to work through, but we could see a lot of teams with 4 game seasons spread out over 3 months, or similar types of chaos.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

However, they have already had two teams withdraw (FC Dallas and Nashville SC) - Dallas had 11 players test positive and Nashville had 9.

I'm curious how many of these 20 total guys wound up showing symptoms. I'll see if I can find any info on that.

1 hour ago, talaricohusker said:

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I highly doubt the news wouldn't have something on this if it were true- especially in Illinois.  All media outlets are searching high and low for stories and this would have made national headlines.   

Thi sis the best I can find: https://abc7chicago.com/health/36-students-in-lake-zurich-hs-sports-camps-test-positive-for-covid-19/6318080/

It does say 36 have tested positive and they are waiting on results of 350 more and that's from yesterday. No mention of a death though.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm curious how many of these 20 total guys wound up showing symptoms. I'll see if I can find any info on that.

That information does seem hard to find.  Of course, with HIPAA, the players would have to consent to releasing that they tested positive. 

My guess (pure speculation) is not many, possibly none of them showed symptoms.  If a huge cluster of players were showing symptoms I think it would have been much bigger news.

• Plus1 1

I know they are not a football league, but yet another conference dropping all non-conference games:

https://omaha.com/sports/college/creighton/big-east-goes-conference-only-for-fall-sports-no-decision-on-basketball-yet/article_a02eed44-18e3-5d6d-9445-79f53621d65c.html

The Big East will cancel all nonconference competitions for its fall sports teams, it announced Thursday.

This entire exercise (going conference only, minor conferences canceling fall sports), feels like slow motion dominoes that will eventually knock over fall P5 football.

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, Landlord said:

What does that matter?

Mainly just pure curiosity and for my own understanding of what percentage of test-positive cases show symptoms. Just compiling as much anecdotal evidence as possible because this particular stat seems hard to obtain from officials.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Mainly just pure curiosity and for my own understanding of what percentage of test-positive cases show symptoms. Just compiling as much anecdotal evidence as possible because this particular stat seems hard to obtain from officials.

Lots of vital data is being hidden for reasons hard to see beyond pure politics.   This makes so much of the discussion turn political when it should not be at all.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1