Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

20% would actually be an increase for Illinois for some games but...

This is a school, as you know, that already struggles to get students in the stands.  If there is a season the students will be even more likely to stay at the bars (which are a blast out there).

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Thi sis the best I can find: https://abc7chicago.com/health/36-students-in-lake-zurich-hs-sports-camps-test-positive-for-covid-19/6318080/

It does say 36 have tested positive and they are waiting on results of 350 more and that's from yesterday. No mention of a death though.

News outlets spin things how they want.  He is the original quote that they ran with - "This week, health officials have traced some of the 36 Lake Zurich High School students who recently tested positive for COVID-19 to three summer athletic camps."https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/above-average-daily-covid-19-increase-in-county-no-outbreaks-associated-with-sports/article_a7a98521-2b14-5315-9670-a9112312ceb1.html

Stories like that turn into rumors that get exaggerated to the point of causing more fear- 65 and one dead...  SMH.  There is just so little responsible reporting done these days.  I don't believe in censorship but I do think media outlets should be held accountable.  Stories like this are driving the decisions on whether we will have football or not.     

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

This entire exercise (going conference only, minor conferences canceling fall sports), feels like slow motion dominoes that will eventually knock over fall P5 football.

This is what is really happening. It only takes one small domino to topple the big one.

Best Domino Fall GIFs | Gfycat

• Plus1 1

Yeah I read that about Illinois earlier and thought the same thing.  The social distancing in the stands shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.  Not trying to knock them.  That whole 6 feet thing in the concourses and in other areas though.  I want football but just wish people would wise up also.  You hear a lot about 'wear your mask' but it seems like the whole 6 feet distancing aspect isn't always mentioned along with it and as I'm sure a lot of you know by going 'out' to stores etc it seems like the whole 6 feet thing never existed for a lot of folks.

27 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I read that about Illinois earlier and thought the same thing.  The social distancing in the stands shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.  Not trying to knock them.  That whole 6 feet thing in the concourses and in other areas though.  I want football but just wish people would wise up also.  You hear a lot about 'wear your mask' but it seems like the whole 6 feet distancing aspect isn't always mentioned along with it and as I'm sure a lot of you know by going 'out' to stores etc it seems like the whole 6 feet thing never existed for a lot of folks.

Reduced capacity is a must. Not only for physical distance but getting in/out will take much longer. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Pssssssst. A lot of people still aren't wearing masks.

vybKyFc.png

I mean the graph says it all. If Canada, UK, Germany, and Japan tested the same amount as us (and kept their same % of positive tests) this is how the cases per million would break down: US - 11,000, UK - 3,200, Japan - 5,300,  Germany - 4,000, Canada 4,500. So no, its not because we're testing more - its just way more widespread here than the countries able to move forward with semi-normal life. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

Hey, did anyone notice that there is an NCAA president? I did not know that there was such a person.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29475847/ncaa-issues-extended-guidelines-help-navigate-return-fall-sports-coronavirus-pandemic

"This document lays out the advice of health care professionals as to how to resume college sports if we can achieve an environment where COVID-19 rates are manageable. Today, sadly, the data point in the wrong direction. If there is to be college sports in the fall, we need to get a much better handle on the pandemic."

Well duh...

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I mean the graph says it all. If Canada, UK, Germany, and Japan tested the same amount as us (and kept their same % of positive tests) this is how the cases per million would break down: US - 11,000, UK - 3,200, Japan - 5,300,  Germany - 4,000, Canada 4,500. So no, its not because we're testing more - its just way more widespread here than the countries able to move forward with semi-normal life. 

Honest question: do we know the testing numbers?  Is there anything that shows tests administered for various countries?  I've been curious about that but never run across anything.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If Canada, UK, Germany, and Japan tested the same amount as us (and kept their same % of positive tests) this is how the cases per million would break down: US - 11,000, UK - 3,200, Japan - 5,300,  Germany - 4,000, Canada 4,500.

Hang on a minute.

You can't leave that first "if" statement hanging but then simultaneously give per capita infection rate comparisons. Either you normalize for per capita testing ratios among other countries or you don't; there are no valid hypothetical extrapolations otherwise.

Did I miss something from that graph? Where is a measure of normalized per capita covid testing on that thing (or anywhere else)?

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Hang on a minute.

You can't leave that first "if" statement hanging but then simultaneously give per capita infection rates. Either you normalize for per capita testing ratios or you don't; there are no valid hypothetical extrapolations otherwise.

Did I miss something from that graph? Where is a measure of normalized per capita covid testing on that thing (or anywhere else)?

My data is from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This site has cases per million and tests per million. Pretty easy to find out how many tests per positive case. So the assumption is, if they did 137,000 tests per million (like the US), and their tests per case remained the same, how many cases per million would they be at. And like I said, ours is more than double of any of the countries on the NCAAs graph.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

My data is from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This site has cases per million and tests per million. Pretty easy to find out how many tests per positive case. So the assumption is, if they did 137,000 tests per million (like the US), and their tests per case remained the same, how many cases per million would they be at. And like I said, ours is more than double of any of the countries on the NCAAs graph.

Agreed - and thank you for that graph. I didn't know if you had just inferred some of those concepts from the NCAA graph.