Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

20 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yea they do. They don't understand that to have less deaths we have to do things to prevent those deaths from happening. Its not just going to disappear like magic.

Well, one of those things then would absolutely be cancelling this college football season. If it could possibly prevent one death, we should do that - right?

23 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yea they do. They don't understand that to have less deaths we have to do things to prevent those deaths from happening. Its not just going to dissappear like magic.

Define "dissappear" [sic] for me?  It sounds like you think that Covid goes away.  

10 minutes ago, Undone said:

Well, one of those things then would absolutely be cancelling this college football season. If it could possibly prevent one death, we should do that - right?

I mean I don't see the reason not to postpone it. It will prevent more than one death and it is a game played for entertainment. Why is it necessary we play this game for entertainment during the fall, also flu season, when fans aren't even going to be able to attend really, at minimum in the same numbers. I mean seriously what is the point? Why not postpone? Is it really more important we get this entertainment at the risk of people's life and long term health? 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Good lord...fast forward to about the 3rd week of October...and no games have been played.

What we will even be posting about at that point???!!

We will be posting about "what should have been done". Right now, we are at "what should be done" and "what could be done." 

But I think most of us will be reminiscing of what it would have been like with that song by Little River Band playing in the background. 

Or, it could be "how I am getting through the worst time of my life" and offering pop psychology tips and strategies to overcoming depression and loss of a loved one. 

But the way I am looking at this is no different than those doomsday movies. We know the 10 mile asteroid is going to hit us and wipe us out and it is barreling its way toward us and we have a countdown clock to impact ticking away to the inevitable extinction level event but we are holding out all hope that by some act of God or some last minute Captain Kirk solution will come in and save the day. But it will end up as....

Cats And Dogs Living Together GIFs | Tenor

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

We will be posting about "what should have been done". Right now, we are at "what should be done" and "what could be done." 

But I think most of us will be reminiscing of what it would have been like with that song by Little River Band playing in the background. 

Or, it could be "how I am getting through the worst time of my life" and offering pop psychology tips and strategies to overcoming depression and loss of a loved one. 

But the way I am looking at this is no different than those doomsday movies. We know the 10 mile asteroid is going to hit us and wipe us out and it is barreling its way toward us and we have a countdown clock to impact ticking away to the inevitable extinction level event but we are holding out all hope that by some act of God or some last minute Captain Kirk solution will come in and save the day. But it will end up as....

Cats And Dogs Living Together GIFs | Tenor

I thought we were just gonna have ben affleck go up into space and drill away at the asteroid?  

• Haha 2

An interesting opinion: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/paul-zeise/2020/07/14/The-powers-of-college-football-are-wasting-time-on-tying-to-buy-time/stories/202007140106

From the article: Enough. Those who run college football want so badly for us to believe there is some magical way they can change reality and play. It is like they think it is possible to be almost pregnant. Either you are or you aren’t, and the same concept applies to college football.It is either safe — with some risk — to play college football or it isn’t. And if it is, then let’s stop with all these nonsensical plans and play football. If it isn’t, stop wasting our time and just scrap it all together. This isn’t hard.That’s why it keeps coming back to this question of whether it can be done safely or not. Pushing dates back does nothing but keep the illusion alive that there is some magical cure right around the corner.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Unfortunately, politics I suspect.

tenor.gif

Yep, because some people have made the mask requirement a political issue, when it is really just the seatbelt law, the motorcycle helmet law, or the fact that people can't smoke when they are filling their gas tank at the convenience store as examples.  Established science and logic that leads to better outcomes and puts less people at risk for harm.

• Plus1 4
32 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I thought we were just gonna have ben affleck go up into space and drill away at the asteroid? 

I am thinking of Fantastic Voyage. We could put Affleck, who is a virologist who knows everything about this virus, but has a daring plan, as he knows a guy who secretly works for the govt who has such a method of making you so small that you can get in a human body. This guy is an expert in nano-humanism, and he gives the secret to Affleck. Then they get in a machine, minaturize it, inject it into a person who has C19, watch him and a few all-star cast like they did in the past movies, give us thrills and ongoing suspense with CGI,  drill into the nucleus of the virus, then come back with the "secrets of the virus" that will give us the immediate vaccine that will protect us all and save college football.

But there is the subplot of the govt official trying to protect the govt's secrets of doing such and they do not want that secret out until the antagonists daughter gets the virus and needs the vaccine to live. Only then is he willing to give up the govt's secret and gives the technology to do such. 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Not necessarily. As hard as it is to discuss, there is actually a value placed on a human life, and all lives count as the same value. It is necessary equation used in a lot of areas we don't think about, from insurance policies to hazard pay.  A human life is currently valued at 10 million dollars.  That's the brutal variable used to decide if the economic loss outweighs the loss of life.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/15/835571843/episode-991-lives-vs-the-economy#:~:text=Economists say each human life is worth about %2410 million dollars.

• Plus1 2