Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

I would venture a guess that every football player from the NFL to Pop Warner wants to play. But organizations need to be smart about this, and have plans in place.

Rookies report in 48 hours. We've known about this stupid pandemic since at least March. Where the heck is their plan? 

And do college teams/conferences have better prep than the NFL? If we're going to have a season, I sure as heck hope so.

• Thanks 1

Although testing and contact tracing infrastructure have expanded considerably, the variations in approach to reopening America for business and recreation have correlated with a considerable spike in cases in recent weeks.

Guess what folks, the NCAA will blame the American people for why there is no college football. You see, had you listened to our PSA's on "wearing a mask" we would not be in this mess. Heck, we have had Nick Saban do a PSA and what did you do? You ignored it. See? See? You are to blame for this mess. Had you just stayed in doors and do what you were told and not worry about who is and who is not essential, you would have college football to enjoy while you were in lockdown. So, do not blame us for no college football. 

The NCAA is getting ready to use that as their argument and then blaming each state for their varied opening processes and phases. No college football? Your fault, not ours. Even though we know for a fact that this is how the NCAA handled the whole mess....
monthy python | Tumblr

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

A lot of our reported cases fall under examples like this.  I don't believe numbers are remotely close to accurate.

"The doctor said I believe you are COVID positive, but you are not 65 and do not have underlying conditions, so we are not able to test you,"

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-coronavirus-patient-hit-with-large-hospital-bill-due-to-coding-issue/2295686/

I think current confirmed positives should be the only thing the NCAA should focus on.  We are climbing at a concerning rate but we absolutely have time to turn this around in time to have football.    

On 7/15/2020 at 1:16 PM, Hilltop said:

I would agree with this.  On a much smaller scale we went through this several months ago with our youth baseball league.  Out of 20+ towns, we had 4 others agree to play.  The remainder just didn't want to deal with all the regulations or were fearful of the liability/potential of someone catching it.  For what it's worth, those towns that participated played an almost full season worth of games over 4 weeks without issue.  We finished last night.  

On the flip side, our local American Legion team cancelled the rest of their season last week.  We had a Fourth of July tournament that included a team from a small town in the Portland area.  One of their players felt ill and the team dropped out and went home.  They then were tested and eight of their players were positive.  Another team at the tournament cancelled their season after the second day of the tournament when it was discovered two players from the feeder team tested positive.  No word on our team as Covid related illnesses have been very secretive in our county.  

17 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

A lot of our reported cases fall under examples like this.  I don't believe numbers are remotely close to accurate.

"The doctor said I believe you are COVID positive, but you are not 65 and do not have underlying conditions, so we are not able to test you,"

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-coronavirus-patient-hit-with-large-hospital-bill-due-to-coding-issue/2295686/

I think current confirmed positives should be the only thing the NCAA should focus on.  We are climbing at a concerning rate but we absolutely have time to turn this around in time to have football.    

If you're dismissing the number of cases then you're saying it's more deadly than reported.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kansas45 said:
Although testing and contact tracing infrastructure have expanded considerably, the variations in approach to reopening America for business and recreation have correlated with a considerable spike in cases in recent weeks.

Guess what folks, the NCAA will blame the American people for why there is no college football. You see, had you listened to our PSA's on "wearing a mask" we would not be in this mess. Heck, we have had Nick Saban do a PSA and what did you do? You ignored it. See? See? You are to blame for this mess. Had you just stayed in doors and do what you were told and not worry about who is and who is not essential, you would have college football to enjoy while you were in lockdown. So, do not blame us for no college football. 

The NCAA is getting ready to use that as their argument and then blaming each state for their varied opening processes and phases. No college football? Your fault, not ours. Even though we know for a fact that this is how the NCAA handled the whole mess....
monthy python | Tumblr

I see some "guidelines" but nothing definite such as 'do A, B, C ... And there can be fall sports."

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Haven’t they stayed oddly quiet. Had an ex who would not have an opinion and then blame the results. 

even if they said every state must be in phase 4. Or conferences will self schedule, independents will ...

I mean, ultimately the opinion of the NCAA really doesn’t matter when it comes to this. 

We can’t get states to follow simple reopening guidance from the cdc, the main reason we’re in the state we are right now. 

• Plus1 2

34 minutes ago, Branno said:

We can’t get states to follow simple reopening guidance from the cdc, the main reason we’re in the state we are right now. 

This response is in no way a criticism of your comment but simply an observation made from it.

1. we complain that people are not/were not following guidelines from the CDC;

2. yet we are hoping that we put young men ages 18-23 in close contact and in groups of more than 30 and closer than six feet, essentially away from the CDC guidelines, so we can have the game of football; 

3. and because we cannot get our football, people are being blamed for us losing a season of football;

4. we have seen entire industries with employees losing their jobs and/or not being able to work, but now we worry about the economic impact of losing football? 

I ask this question: is football an "essential" aspect? We had people not have their jobs due to this classified as "non-essential" and "essential" but somehow football is essential? We worry about the overall impact of not having football on local business when many local businesses were considered "non-essential". We all knew there would be spikes, upticks, and were told there would be a "second wave." 

But now we are in the phase of "finger pointing" and the "blame game." That must be phase 5 of the re-opening. 

Edited by kansas45
forgot to add a point
  • Plus1 2

Understanding the situation that we are in a little better:

We are dealing with a virus that spreads like the flu/cold and would seem to be far more contagious than the flu/cold.  It has a history of affecting each person differently, regardless of age or vitality (ie: several 90 years olds have cruised through it while many in their 40s and 50s has died from it).  Viruses do not go away...ever.  Especially those that have spread all around the globe as this one has.  So this means that A) This is not going away ever.  And B) everyone will eventually get it.  

Several workers from the lab in Wuhan have defected and are currently being held/interviewed by MI5, MI6, and American Intelligence agencies.  Inside sources are saying that they are claiming that the virus came from an accident within the Wuhan lab.  IF this is true, then we are not dealing with a normal run of the muck virus. This thing is a bio-weapon and is designed to inflict mass casualties (as already seen) and is also designed to be very difficult to detect (as already observed with an unheard of 2 week+ dormant period) and is designed to have a large amount of symptoms which makes it harder to diagnose (already observed) and is designed to adapt and mutate very quickly (already observed with hundreds reporting getting sick from it multiple times). 

If this is reported by the US government that it came from a lab rather than a bat, then the situation is much more dire than previously thought.  University Presidents will most likely cancel all fall sports very quickly.  I hate to be the Debbie downer here but it is increasingly looking like this is what this is. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Bledred said:

I hate to be the Debbie downer here but it is increasingly looking like this is what this is.

What you provided was factual information that I long suspected. There is no way that you can be a Debbie Downer when you are giving us info. While some may say this is a political topic or even conspiracy theory, I disagree with that view. The problem is this: university presidents will not get this information regardless because the feds won't release the intelligence on it based on the fear of creating an international crisis. 

General Eisenhower, prior to the D-Day landings in 1944 stated: an aroused democracy is a formidable foe.

Today, that saying is: an aroused American populace without college football is a formidable foe. 

image.png.2ddaebc7c4b0d1e62323285c33c2f5fb.png

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Bledred said:

Understanding the situation that we are in a little better:

We are dealing with a virus that spreads like the flu/cold and would seem to be far more contagious than the flu/cold.  It has a history of affecting each person differently, regardless of age or vitality (ie: several 90 years olds have cruised through it while many in their 40s and 50s has died from it).  Viruses do not go away...ever.  Especially those that have spread all around the globe as this one has.  So this means that A) This is not going away ever.  And B) everyone will eventually get it.  

Several workers from the lab in Wuhan have defected and are currently being held/interviewed by MI5, MI6, and American Intelligence agencies.  Inside sources are saying that they are claiming that the virus came from an accident within the Wuhan lab.  IF this is true, then we are not dealing with a normal run of the muck virus. This thing is a bio-weapon and is designed to inflict mass casualties (as already seen) and is also designed to be very difficult to detect (as already observed with an unheard of 2 week+ dormant period) and is designed to have a large amount of symptoms which makes it harder to diagnose (already observed) and is designed to adapt and mutate very quickly (already observed with hundreds reporting getting sick from it multiple times). 

If this is reported by the US government that it came from a lab rather than a bat, then the situation is much more dire than previously thought.  University Presidents will most likely cancel all fall sports very quickly.  I hate to be the Debbie downer here but it is increasingly looking like this is what this is. 

Stop.  When was the last time you had SARS, MERS, measles, polio.....?

It's a horrible bioweapon btw.  If it was, as you claim, to have been engineered as such and it escaped, would China ever let anyone working on it out of their sight?  They'd be under lock and key.  How did they defect?

Do you have any links to this?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1