Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

My sister who just beat breast cancer a few months ago also just beat Covid.  Said it was like having a bad cold.  Both of my parents who are in their late 70's also just got over Covid.  I was around all 3 of them and didn't get it.  Nobody know anything about anything.  It's a crab shoot. Kinda like getting in your car everyday.  You gonna get in an accident?  who knows?  Let them play.

never shot a crab before lol.  Proof reading is important kids

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Still, if the MLB is indication, the bigger problem is what happens outside of organized team activities. And there's just only so much teams or conferences can control in that regard.

Which is why the idea that player safety is really being significantly compromised by participating in sports is pretty over-sold.  It assumes that they are "safe" as long as they are not participating.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
32 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Which is why the idea that player safety is really being significantly compromised by participating in sports is pretty over-sold.  It assumes that they are "safe" as long as they are not participating.

Having sports raises risk by a non-zero amount, particularly if some teams are more lax in adhering to safety protocols than others (Marlins).

Not really sure how we'd quantify the increase in risk, though. While I think you're right, I still think it's a discussion worth having.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Danny Bateman said:

Having sports raises risk by a non-zero amount, particularly if some teams are more lax in adhering to safety protocols than others (Marlins).

Not really sure how we'd quantify the increase in risk, though. While I think you're right, I still think it's a discussion worth having.

It does raise it.  But there are also more protections in place (testing, monitoring, advising, etc.).  And there would be a significant increase in "free time" without sports that could also be an increase risk as well.

Like I said, it's not nothing but the idea that player safety is being compromised is significantly over-sold.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hilltop said:

6'4", 325 pound freshman.  Kid is arguably not in the greatest shape just based on pictures.  He is obviously overweight and hasn't been through college workouts.  He is an outlier in that he did have to go to the ER but is not admitted.  His mom is speculating about further issues but what parent wouldn't right now.  She is understandably scared.  As a parent I would be.  I wish the kid the best but I don't believe he fits the typical stereotype of a college athlete in the best shape of his life.

My point is this case shouldn't be the gleaming example that college athletes are in danger.  The reports coming out of all the other schools, like Illinois, are consistently saying their athletes are experiencing mild to no symptoms when positive.         

7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I disagree. 

You wouldn't judge any group based on someone who is just joining that group.  Ask any prior college athlete - there is a massive jump in conditioning at the collegiate level.  I was a D1college baseball pitcher.  I thought I was in good shape prior to my first day of practice.  I was very wrong.  It took me 5 weeks before I started to even feel comfortable working out at that level. 

Individual health plays a huge role in how bad this virus impacts a person.  

Is this really your take on this? I find it hard to believe. There are many things much more important than college sports. I would like them to be able to play as much as anyone but if not playing prevents only a handful of cases like the one that mother described, I’m okay with that.

You are right as far as it’s very likely not that dangerous for the vast majority but I can guarantee you this one kid will not be the only one to get hit hard by it. And your point about him not appearing to be in the best shape totally ignores that there are hundreds, thousands more players that are also not in prime shape. Do we just write them off, not do all that is possible to help prevent another 10 or 20 or how ever many more cases like his?  You might need to modify your life perspective.

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It does raise it.  But there are also more protections in place (testing, monitoring, advising, etc.).  And there would be a significant increase in "free time" without sports that could also be an increase risk as well.

Like I said, it's not nothing but the idea that player safety is being compromised is significantly over-sold.

I doubt that not playing football will protect any more people than if a full season is played. BUT at least then the casualties cannot be blamed on teams, colleges, conferences that are only out to maintain revenue. That’s a big BUT imo. The optics of it will shape perception and that’s all that really matters at the end of the day. Even if there’s only one or two cases as bad as that kids, I don’t see how it can be justified. It’s just a sport....that I am going to miss watching terribly.

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Should we stop all workouts and games anytime the temperature reaches a certain point?

Typically workouts are shortened or moved indoors if heat is too much. Also more water breaks and breaks in general combined with less exertion can alleviate these issues as well. There are things that can be done to prevent these deaths and usually these measures are taken. As @FrantzHardySwag has mentioned, if these precautions are ignored, it may end in a lawsuit. Now there are also things we can do to prevent coronavirus from spreading to players. These precautions differ from those for heat related problems. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Old Nebraska Guy said:

not directly related, but.....

Minnesota has moved their high school football to the spring.

I just read the headline so I don't know if it was by agreement or edict.

So did Colorado. Feel bad for the kids. The coaches at my boys high school are very disappointed.