Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

43 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Personally I think players will be safer if they are playing due to routine testing. If we’ve learned anything about that demographic, it’s that they’re not prone to be cautious. 

as far as I can tell, sports programs are making a great effort to test.  

I think _some_ programs are implementing a good testing protocol.  Wasn't there a story about how South Dakota State will not test (due to budget costs)?  That may be moot if Nebraska ends up with a conference only schedule.  I guess I would like to see the NCAA implement a "no testing - no playing" rule.  I realize that would probably make (some/several) non-P5 schools unlikely to play, but I think it would be a reasonable requirement to levy on schools that want to field a team.

However, I think one difference between what we would have with college football vs pro sports (both in the US and Europe) is that it will probably be harder to put college athletes in a bubble the same way as they are doing with the professional athletes.  This would most likely lead to higher cases of positive tests thus leading to forfeits.  Even if only 4 or 5 players test positive, if it is all of your QBs, due to having to be in the same meetings, etc., would you actually still play a game that week?

If they decide to not have on campus courses, that would help - house the players, they are there for practice and to play and do their coursework online.  That would probably go a long way toward lowering the risk.

If it's about geography and testing, I wonder if something could still be worked out with Cincinnati? They're a big school, and would be coming from what's essentially Big Ten territory.

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Terrible analogy. This has happened many times In CFB history. They play in other stadiums and do not forfeit.  Because  it’s legal to do so. 

And what would Michigan veto? If they aren’t in a position to open their communities, then they don’t open. Football doesn’t supersede that. Could Michigan play every game out of state-IDK.  I presume they stated their reopening milestones months ago. What does the state have to gain by not having football?  Safety, gir one. I’m not sure if Michigan is a good example or if we’re just using them for example sake. I have heard that Arizona and California are not in good positions right now. 

My point is michigan can forfeit.  the rest can play.   period.  and yes they are getting to veto cfb for entire country if NCAA says so per the earlier post .  I just disagree with such ‘logic’.  

The hopeful thing is daily cases are starting to flatten out a bit so hopefully they roll over and slow down. The less encouraging thing is we're basically 3 weeks from the spike really taking off and the death rate started to tick higher today. I think an accelerating death toll would put an end to any hopes of a season. 

10 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The hopeful thing is daily cases are starting to flatten out a bit so hopefully they roll over and slow down. The less encouraging thing is we're basically 3 weeks from the spike really taking off and the death rate started to tick higher today. I think an accelerating death toll would put an end to any hopes of a season. 

Admittedly I haven't done a detailed look at the numbers, but from a quick glance it looks like much of the reason things have flattened is that NY-NJ-MA have dropped over the last month while TX-FL-AZ have gone up.  In  other words, the pandemic has just moved locations.  To support that, look at the daily death counts - Texas has 3 of its 4 highest daily death counts over the last 3 days.  The other day was a sharp one day spike in April - possibly due to "clumped" reporting where they didn't confirm deaths over several days until all at once.

Thus, TX has a sharp increase in Daily Deaths over a smoothed 7 day average.  I guess we see where it goes the next week or so, but if they follow a model similar to NY, they could have high death totals for another 1 or 2 months. 

This doesn't directly affect Nebraska Football that much (or some of the surrounding geographical area), but could another outbreak occur in Omaha or Lincoln similar to the meat packing plant spike?

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

I think _some_ programs are implementing a good testing protocol.  Wasn't there a story about how South Dakota State will not test (due to budget costs)?  That may be moot if Nebraska ends up with a conference only schedule.  I guess I would like to see the NCAA implement a "no testing - no playing" rule.  I realize that would probably make (some/several) non-P5 schools unlikely to play, but I think it would be a reasonable requirement to levy on schools that want to field a team.

However, I think one difference between what we would have with college football vs pro sports (both in the US and Europe) is that it will probably be harder to put college athletes in a bubble the same way as they are doing with the professional athletes.  This would most likely lead to higher cases of positive tests thus leading to forfeits.  Even if only 4 or 5 players test positive, if it is all of your QBs, due to having to be in the same meetings, etc., would you actually still play a game that week?

If they decide to not have on campus courses, that would help - house the players, they are there for practice and to play and do their coursework online.  That would probably go a long way toward lowering the risk.

All we need to do is find some division 2 schools, pay for their testing, give em some fun money, beat the hell out em, send em home wealthy and well. 

then argue forever about not getting a trophy. Or maybe we’ll make our own. 

15 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Yeah Texas has their most Covid deaths ever yesterday and hospitalizations in Texas due to Covid up 6 fold since Memorial Day. That’s why masks are vital right now, we’re not gonna get rid of Covid but it’s silly to think we’re gonna play sports and return to normal with states recording record death and hospitalization numbers.  

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

All we need to do is find some division 2 schools, pay for their testing, give em some fun money, beat the hell out em, send em home wealthy and well. 

then argue forever about not getting a trophy. Or maybe we’ll make our own. 

"Upper Great Plains Champions 2020" :lol:

After a 20+ year conference championship drought, I'd take it.

• Plus1 1